GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Upgrading from my 2001 gs300 need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 07:26 PM
rico23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from my 2001 gs300 need some help

So basically need some help picking out a year was looking at 2013 gs350.. whats biggest problem I'm going to run into with this fourth generation? My 2001 was a horse minus some electrical issues lol any imput would be appreciated . Thanks in advance
Old 07-02-15, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Not really any common problems...
Old 07-02-15, 07:47 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I had whining from my rear diff under decel and 50mph cruising - replaced under warranty.
I had the front seat plastic pop out, and the paint on the shuft **** wear off, and they were both replaced.
I sometimes get a strange noise, i think its from the exhaust or e brake or something rubbing. It did it loudly 8 months ago, and quietly a few times, but it goes away after a minute of driving when it does pop up.

Otherwise i love the car, good power, sharp handling, good looks.
Old 07-02-15, 08:34 PM
rico23
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for quick replies .. now as far as color and options : F-sport worth it ? Weathers terrible out here in north east and my 01 gs wasn't great at all in snow.

If you you were in my shoes silver or gray with what color interior if i could find ?
Old 07-02-15, 08:37 PM
rico23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GregCanada
I had whining from my rear diff under decel and 50mph cruising - replaced under warranty.
I had the front seat plastic pop out, and the paint on the shuft **** wear off, and they were both replaced.
I sometimes get a strange noise, i think its from the exhaust or e brake or something rubbing. It did it loudly 8 months ago, and quietly a few times, but it goes away after a minute of driving when it does pop up.

Otherwise i love the car, good power, sharp handling, good looks.
Appreciated points those are exactly the type things i was looking for.. Those aren't to bad at all.
Old 07-02-15, 09:42 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by rico23
Thanks for quick replies .. now as far as color and options : F-sport worth it ? Weathers terrible out here in north east and my 01 gs wasn't great at all in snow.

If you you were in my shoes silver or gray with what color interior if i could find ?
LIke you, I went from a '01 GS430 (so i know your troubles with the snow), to a '11 IS350 AWD and now to a CPO 2013 GS Premium (the IS was too small after all). The AWD is a major plus and in this category of car, your best value is probably a used GS.

I went with Starfire (white) on Flaxen (its like an amaretto color leather). With 45k miles, I only have had one issue with the leather peeling on the drivers seat which will be fixed under warranty during my next visit to the dealer.

I would go with Silver/White with Flaxen. The F-Sport adds that touch of sportiness if thats what your looking for (test drove f-sport in silver, luxury in black and premium in starfire) and ended up realizing that the car that hit all points for me was the Premium - Price, Performance, Comfort and features I would actually use and not just have for show. Dealers here in NY seemed to be charging upwards of 3k more for lux or f-sport models over the premium version but I personally didn't feel like it was worth the upcharge.

No matter what version you get, you'll love it!
Old 07-02-15, 09:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

May I suggest Cabernet interior.

Old 07-02-15, 11:12 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with nebula grey pearl & caberinet interior. Probably spelled it incorrectly. That's what I have love it !
Old 07-03-15, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had liquid platinum/flaxen on the GS and I have nebula grey/grey on the LS. I'm happy with the nebula on the LS, happy I changed it up, but overall I think I preferred the LP, and the Flaxen really sets it off nicely, as would the cabernet if its an F Sport.

The LP is a really cool silver, its bright, sharp and clean, and also has a pearly iridescence that is very unique.
Old 07-03-15, 12:12 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Appreciated points those are exactly the type things i was looking for.. Those aren't to bad at all.
No problemo.

Up to you. i would have preffered f sport but when i purchased (pre owned) they would have been a 5k premium, and since the wifey drives it most of the time, we went with the premium.

I would definitely get AWD, and get dedicated snow tires. Buy 17" rims from a 3rd gen GS and get some LM32 or WS80 Blizzak's and never worry about unexpectedly slipping in the snow again. Keep the 18's/19's for summer use. (btw if you are worried about potholes, the 18" rims will be better as they have a taller rubber profile, another plus to the premium).

Take them both for a ride and see what you like, but you really cant go wrong with either.
Old 07-03-15, 04:43 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like quite a few of us are prior 2GS owners

OP, it really depends how you are going to use the car. I needed a car that I could drive everyday for 10 years with minimal trouble. I started out wanting an F sport for the looks, but had concerns about the 19in wheels. I worried about snow performance and how often I would need to replace those expensive tires. I was also not keen on trying to keep the wheels clean from the increased dust from F sport pads.

Then I wanted a Luxury. However, historically ML audio systems seem to not hold up over the years when compared with the base stereo. The upgraded leather seems more prone to drying out and showing wear if not maintained regularly. I tested a 2013 luxury with 26k miles and the seats were really really wrinkled. I take care of my car, but I need a daily driver to be more tolerant of some neglect.

As I was nearing the end of my search, I started noticing people posting about AVS shocks leaking at low miles. Since the replacement cost is outrageous, it was the final nail in the coffin for me getting a F sport or Luxury.

I ended up with a CPO 2013 Liquid Platinum AWD with the premium package. It is a massive upgrade from my GS400. Feels light on its feet, more refined, and feels much more like a luxury car should.
Old 07-03-15, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just to reply to a couple of these concerns:

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
I started out wanting an F sport for the looks, but had concerns about the 19in wheels. I worried about snow performance and how often I would need to replace those expensive tires.
Oddly enough, tires in the 19" size are cheaper than those in the 18" size. The OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 are $228 in the 18, and $161 in the 19. Treadwear warranty is the same.

Then I wanted a Luxury. However, historically ML audio systems seem to not hold up over the years when compared with the base stereo. The upgraded leather seems more prone to drying out and showing wear if not maintained regularly. I tested a 2013 luxury with 26k miles and the seats were really really wrinkled. I take care of my car, but I need a daily driver to be more tolerant of some neglect.
Not all luxury models have ML, in fact most don't. Mine didn't. The semi-aniline leather in my luxury GS was some of the best wearing leather I've ever had in a car. Mine was like new at 39k miles when I traded with only simple maintenance. If I were going to keep a car long term I specifically would seek out that leather, in fact I'm bummed the leather in my LS isn't as nice.
Old 07-03-15, 06:12 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not interested in arguing, so I'll leave it at this:

The price of tires depends on the brand and model. The tires I had researched were less expensive for the 18" wheels.

I saw many luxury package cars in the used market with ML

The leather on some Luxury package cars that I saw in photos did not look to be in good shape and the interior of the one I actually drove was completely beat up. Although to be fair, the standard leather doesn't wear so great either.
Old 07-03-15, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Upgrading from my 2001 gs300 need some help

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying cost over time really isn't a concern when it comes to which trim level to choose. If you're buying used what's most important is to find one that's been well cared for.