GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

ML is a huge disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 05:50 AM
szilu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FishBike
Do you by any chance have "surround" switched on in the audio settings? To me it sounds like fake surround sound and is terrible, and the audio quality is 100% better with that off.
Thanks for that,actually I have not tried switching it off,as it made the sound stage far better in 3gs. Honestly, Lexus should rethink their strategy, we also have a '14 RX450h with ML and the sound quality could not be much worse. However Lexus told me that RX ML sound bad because of the subwoofer lacking enough space due to the shape of the trunk, and GS is definitely better, but the difference is not that much.
Old 07-04-15, 05:55 AM
szilu
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
Welcome to the GS450h club szilu! I sent you a friend request on CL. There are only a handful of us 4GS hybrid owners on here, so it's good to see another one join us.

Regarding the ML system, I'm actually surprised that you think it has TOO MUCH bass. I test drove a car with the premium system and felt that had much more bass. Treble wise, I would say the two systems were about equal in terms of impact after you made adjustments in the equalizer.

Anyway, I haven't heard the ML system in a 3GS nor the LS, so I cannot directly compare. I did like the ML system better in the GS over the IS. I thought it sounded better (if using a high quality source) over the premium system. Received sound is quite a subjective topic though, so I'm with hube on this.

All the best,

~ Im2bz2p345
THX, I do not see the request you sent, will check it on the laptop maybe the mobile version is the problem.

I will try to use the aux port with a portable DAC and some high quality lossless source and see if that makes any difference...
Old 07-05-15, 10:55 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recall reading somewhere that ML quite suppling the head unit for the Lexus GS/ML system a couple years ago. No matter how good the ML AMP/speakers are an inferior head unit would easily result in poorer sound and lack of Codecs that the unit used to have.

Anyone tried a different head unit ?
Old 07-05-15, 11:11 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Everyone hears sound "quality" at different levels...which is why you have some who hear the system at "quality" standards and others who do not.

I went from a 3GS ML to a 4GS premium and to be honest, the sound similar. I didn't opt for the ML because in the 4GS I test drove with the ML, it didn't sound as well as the 4GS premium in the F-Sport. I tuned both before I went on the test drive and played the same song through my phone on both.
Old 07-05-15, 02:34 PM
balfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also feel let down by the ML system. It is ok, but really not that special. There does not seem to be a lot of "presence" or depth to the sound. I did turn off surround over the last week to see if that helps but for me, it does not seem to improve the system. Overall bass is weak and I find the treble to be weak as well, not crisp like some other systems.

I also had a 2013 F sport with the base system, and I think the base and ML are very close. The ML is better, but not really worth the price in my opinion. I'm surprised as there are a lot of good reviews for the system.

I had a 2005 TL way back when and from what I remember it would blow this system away, which is embarrassing for Lexus considering the GS costs a lot more and 10 years have passed. My TL also had a lot more adjustability, for example you could adjust the sub-woofer level separately from the bass. The GS ML system really has very few adjustments when you think about it.
Old 07-05-15, 02:48 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by balfor
I also feel let down by the ML system. It is ok, but really not that special. There does not seem to be a lot of "presence" or depth to the sound. I did turn off surround over the last week to see if that helps but for me, it does not seem to improve the system. Overall bass is weak and I find the treble to be weak as well, not crisp like some other systems.

I also had a 2013 F sport with the base system, and I think the base and ML are very close. The ML is better, but not really worth the price in my opinion. I'm surprised as there are a lot of good reviews for the system.

I had a 2005 TL way back when and from what I remember it would blow this system away, which is embarrassing for Lexus considering the GS costs a lot more and 10 years have passed. My TL also had a lot more adjustability, for example you could adjust the sub-woofer level separately from the bass. The GS ML system really has very few adjustments when you think about it.
Your memory serves you well ! My 05' TL's system does sound better than my ML! Listening to the Eagles in true 5.1 surround is AWESOME, but alas the ML doesn't even play the format
Old 07-05-15, 07:44 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

99alta, you should be able to play video DVD's with surround tracks encoded on them. Some DVD-A discs work also, surround or stereo.

To be honest though, for absolute quality, stereo is better with a higher bitrate than Dolby 5.1 surround. I think there's a codec limitation with DVD-A and surround, maybe because older systems it was designed for didn't have the bandwidth for 24/96 or higher bitrates in 5.1 channels.
Old 07-05-15, 11:53 PM
DLKC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Audio sources make a big difference. I've ripped some albums from vinyl to DVD and they sound great. Some mp3's, not so great. Surround sound setting does make a big difference too.

Just surprises me that anyone would think there's too much bass in the sound. Even with a dedicated sub in the rear shelf with the 4gs ML system, it could use more.
I find the ML system to be good with nice mid and high and very good detail level, What it lacks is it could do with a little more bass. I replaced the sub with two focal subs of the same size, firing in with two monoblocks. With the enhanced bass, it is a very good setup.

To give the setup a chance to perform, here is what one can do:
-turn off surround
-turn off automatic sound leveler

These actually muddied the sound.

With a flat balance level, the sound is skewed too much to the front. Have the setting down a couple of notches to make it more centralized (imagine the center to be at the end of the front row seats ie the center of the vehicle).

If you are not using CDs, please have your songs in loss-less format. Any mp3 or equivalent format will not sound good. I use WAV format which can only take about 35 albums on my ipod

My setting is:
-bass- flat (as it should be with two sub-woofers)
-mid- +2
-treble - flat

Give it a try and see if it works.

Typical volume level is about 25 to 30 (more towards 30).

Try and see if it works

-
Old 07-06-15, 08:13 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I think the system is pretty good, but do agree it could be better. I really think all it needs is a true equalizer to fine tune the sound to our individual tastes. My BMW 550 had the Premium system with a full equalizer and I think it was the best all around car system I've ever had, and I've owned a number of (relatively) high end factory systems.
Old 07-06-15, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
For some reason, the ML system for the LS on the Lexus website has worse stats than the GS. It states that the LS has 19 speakers but only 450 watts, while the GS has 17 speaker and 835 watts.

I do think that the ML system is a must when owning a Lexus. Since I spend hours listening to the system while stuck in traffic, I find the ML a good investment.
that's because of marketing. if you want to play the system so loud the next street can hear you, you go for more power (wattage). but if you want quality, clarity, etc... it's all about the db and other details including speaker placements.

i was actually a little disappointed when lexus started focusing on saying how many watts their systems have in order to deceive people

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
Everyone hears sound "quality" at different levels...which is why you have some who hear the system at "quality" standards and others who do not.

I went from a 3GS ML to a 4GS premium and to be honest, the sound similar. I didn't opt for the ML because in the 4GS I test drove with the ML, it didn't sound as well as the 4GS premium in the F-Sport. I tuned both before I went on the test drive and played the same song through my phone on both.
well, honestly coz' that's how unimpressed the 3gs ml was, imho