GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Gas Door Stuck Closed

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 07:07 PM
balfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Door Stuck Closed

So I was heading to the airport and needed gas and was in a bit of a hurry to get my flight. I pressed on the gas door as usual expecting it to pop open a bit it didn't! It only pressed in more but did not pop out. I started to panic as I was low on gas and did not have a lot of time to get my flight. I looked in the trunk for some type of emergency release but did not see anything.

I locked and unlocked my door a few times in the hopes it would release somehow but it did not change and I did not notice the usual click from the gas door area. Finally I was able to force the door open with my fingers and get gas. Now when closing the door again it does not sit flush but is sitting in a slightly open position. I'm scared to mess with it more in case it locks shut again and I can't get gas.

As anyone had this happen? I'm shocked this part would stop working the car is only two years old, 2013 with luxury package.
Old 07-25-15, 07:45 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Since u forced it open I think the door is bent now and won't sit flushed anymore. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it, it's still under warranty.
Old 07-26-15, 08:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by balfor
So I was heading to the airport and needed gas and was in a bit of a hurry to get my flight. I pressed on the gas door as usual expecting it to pop open a bit it didn't! It only pressed in more but did not pop out. I started to panic as I was low on gas and did not have a lot of time to get my flight. I looked in the trunk for some type of emergency release but did not see anything.

I locked and unlocked my door a few times in the hopes it would release somehow but it did not change and I did not notice the usual click from the gas door area. Finally I was able to force the door open with my fingers and get gas. Now when closing the door again it does not sit flush but is sitting in a slightly open position. I'm scared to mess with it more in case it locks shut again and I can't get gas.

As anyone had this happen? I'm shocked this part would stop working the car is only two years old, 2013 with luxury package.
It sounds like the fuel door's hinge spring is broken, dislodged or missing.

When the car is not locked you can lightly depress/push on the right-hand side of fuel door (away from the hinge side) and the hinge spring will unload and push the right side of the fuel door out slightly so you can open the door more fully with your fingers. With a broken or missing hinge spring the fuel door is not spring loaded and will not pop open slightly. Also, without the hinge spring the fuel door can settle into the depressed inward position and just remain there since there.

The hinge spring should cost less than $10 and is easy to replace.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-26-15 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 08:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Also, you have an emergency fuel door release in the trunk. The emergency release is located underneath a round black disc on the side of the trunk liner nearly opposite of where the fuel door is.
Old 10-20-15, 12:10 PM
cowboyed
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 GS300 and my fuel door is not operating. I have to open it from the trunk with thte release. Is their anywhere a video is shown how to fix that spring
Old 10-20-15, 12:41 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Anyone got a pic of the manual fuel door release in the trunk?
Old 10-20-15, 01:06 PM
akcao
Driver School Candidate

i had this issue with it not closing flush. I took my car into the dealer and they replaced the hinge spring.
Old 10-20-15, 01:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cowboyed
I have a 2000 GS300 and my fuel door is not operating. I have to open it from the trunk with thte release. Is their anywhere a video is shown how to fix that spring
This video may help you make a temporary fix until you can obtain the specific Lexus fuel door hinge spring for your 2000 GS300. It may help to prevent you from having to release the fuel door from the trunk.

Old 11-15-19, 05:44 AM
mconfes1
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Also, you have an emergency fuel door release in the trunk. The emergency release is located underneath a round black disc on the side of the trunk liner nearly opposite of where the fuel door is.
This just saved me. Thanks!! Body shop had worked on my quarter panel and the door wouldn't open when it got cold out. Thank you google and club Lexus haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by mconfes1:
jonathancl (11-15-19), websurfer (11-16-19)