GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Another new feature - I may be last to notice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 07:00 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another new feature - I may be last to notice.

The fuel door cannot be opened unless the doors are unlocked. Was washing the car today and tried to open the fuel door and it wouldn't until I put 2 and 2 together.

I had often wondered why no fuel door release, someone could steal or even worse contaminate the fuel.

Wonderment solved.

Did anyone else miss this little feature?
Old 07-26-15, 07:04 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, same as my BMW 535i was. Otherwise I may not have figured it out :-)
Old 07-26-15, 10:20 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I've had my car for just about 15 days and the first time I went to fill up I couldn't find the fuel release button and I was thinking am I going blind or what?!? I pushed on the fuel door and nothing happened since I locked my car. I have a habit of locking my cars even if I'm standing right by them during a fill up. Finally figured out that I needed to unlock the car and push on the door to get access to it, just like my Camaro.
Old 07-26-15, 10:50 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Every time I fill up I get out of the car, pop the gas door off and relock my car. I don't want thieves to get in while I'm filling up. Yes I'm paranoid like that.
Old 07-26-15, 10:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Every time I fill up I get out of the car, pop the gas door off and relock my car. I don't want thieves to get in while I'm filling up. Yes I'm paranoid like that.
You and me both. Plus it's actually a current crime trend here in the Houston area. Its called Jugging.
Old 07-27-15, 04:35 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
You and me both. Plus it's actually a current crime trend here in the Houston area. Its called Jugging.
If you have your keys in your pocket they can get in your car, but they aren't going anywhere. Still not a bad idea though.
Old 07-27-15, 06:39 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 73 Posts

I've had my car for just about 15 days and the first time I went to fill up I couldn't find the fuel release button and I was thinking am I going blind or what?!? I pushed on the fuel door and nothing happened since I locked my car. I have a habit of locking my cars even if I'm standing right by them during a fill up. Finally figured out that I needed to unlock the car and push on the door to get access to it, just like my Camaro.
Lol I did the same thing. I felt so dumb cuz I couldn't find the fuel release button and I had to Google to find it out.
Old 07-27-15, 07:00 AM
billf2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually told by my salesman that the fuel door didn't lock on my about-to-be-delivered 2015 GS. I was amazed that a premium car didn't have a locking gas door. Then I was trying to show my wife how to open the gas door and it wouldn't open (I had the car locked in the garage and the keys were in the house) -- I got my keys and it worked! That along with the gas cap holder on the door are nice touches.
Old 07-27-15, 07:35 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

WOW! That is insane! I only lock it if i have to go in and pay. Are you guys scared of walking down the street?
Old 07-27-15, 07:51 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you know that you can set the car to just unlock driver's door up on parking? Or it's that scary that you have to lock this one door too? Lol
Old 07-27-15, 07:52 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
WOW! That is insane! I only lock it if i have to go in and pay. Are you guys scared of walking down the street?
America is like the worst part of Halifax x100 in some areas. Just way too greasy. Plus gas stations are bum magnets, since people are constantly coming and going and often leave cars unlocked for a few seconds while they run inside.
Old 07-27-15, 08:10 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

It's easier to repel them while they're outside of the car than inside.

Plus I'm Asian and paranoia is already hard programmed into my brain. I've seen people got hit on the head by a brick while taking money out of the ATMs and got their stuff stolen and left for dead, they throw raw eggs at ur windshield while ur driving so u'll pull over cause u can't see crap then they rob and kill u on the spot, they spiked ur tires so u'll pull over and get killed. It's only a matter of time before all that gets here.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 07-27-15 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 08:55 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's easier to repel them while they're outside of the car than inside.

Plus I'm Asian and paranoia is already hard programmed into my brain. I've seen people got hit on the head by a brick while taking money out of the ATMs and got their stuff stolen and left for dead, they throw raw eggs at ur windshield while ur driving so u'll pull over cause u can't see crap then they rob and kill u on the spot, they spiked ur tires so u'll pull over and get killed. It's only a matter of time before all that gets here.
Damn, did you come here from Ruthless Kong or something? That sounds dreadful.
Old 07-27-15, 09:14 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Damn, did you come here from Ruthless Kong or something? That sounds dreadful.
I'm from Indonesia and I believe they start doing the ATM crimes in China as well. The crime rates are very high in my country that's why I left. U can't be driving around in Lexuses there without getting ur mirrors stolen at the lights.
Old 07-27-15, 09:37 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I was washing my car one day, and the doors had locked. I tried to open the gas door to dry, and couldn't. Freaked out and almost pried it open with my hand. smh lol

Quick Reply: Another new feature - I may be last to notice.