GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Recommend some tires for wife's GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 12:20 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

how many miles did the stock Michelin's last ?
Old 01-27-17, 07:39 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I may actually go with the Primacy MXM4, they are $232 at discount but Coscto has them on sale for $189 after a instant rebate, I may try to pricematch.
Old 01-28-17, 07:04 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Discount Tire had the Michelin AS3+ for just over $200. But there was a $70 rebate from Michelin and another $50 if you use a DT credit account. That should bring your price down to just over $170 for each tire.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-17, 08:24 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I doubt one in fifty people realize that summer [performance] tires become dangerous as the temperature drops. What is safe at 70° and above becomes a very different tire as the temperature approaches 40°, and anything below 40° summer tires are downright dangerous. And, it has nothing to do with the road being asphalt or concrete, or the road surface being wet/ice/snow versus dry.

Many performance cars come with OEM installed summer [only] tires that owners think are safe to drive in any temperature. That simple, yet extremely important, misunderstanding is an accident waiting to happen.
Bclexus, I am interested in what tires you run above 40° and what you switch to below 40°?
As the temps have been mostly warm in Texas this year but we have seen a couple of days in the 20's, and it might only last a day or two, were you changing to a winter tire those mornings or do you use an all season tire most of the year?
Old 01-28-17, 08:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Handi
Bclexus, I am interested in what tires you run above 40° and what you switch to below 40°?
As the temps have been mostly warm in Texas this year but we have seen a couple of days in the 20's, and it might only last a day or two, were you changing to a winter tire those mornings or do you use an all season tire most of the year?
I use an 'All Season' tire on the GS 350.

I purchased Michelin Premier A/S tires (245/45R18 100V XL BSW - 640AAV - 60,000 Mile, 6-Year Limited Warranty) from Discount Tire 15 months ago. The Premier A/S tire replaced the popular Primacy tire. I have been very pleased with them in all driving conditions, and they are very quiet.

Michelin Premier All Season
The Michelin Premier A/S is a luxury performance grand touring tire. They offer reduced hydroplaning and shorter braking ability. The Premier A/S is designed to provide the driver with improved traction and exceptional grip in most driving conditions, including light snow. They have excellent wear life and good fuel efficiency. The Michelin 245/45R18 Premier A/S has a diameter of 26.6" and a total width of 9.6", with 780 revolutions per mile. Premier A/S 245/45R18 tires weigh 26 lbs., have a max load of 1764 lbs. and a speed rating of 149 mph (100V), and have a tread width of 7” and a tread depth of 8.5/32", and should be used with a rim width of 7.5 - 9". The UTQG rating is 640AA. The Premier A/S comes with a 60,000 mile, 6 Year limited warranty.

The Premier A/S is Michelin's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for drivers looking for tires that deliver category-leading wet grip when new and when worn. And even when worn, Premier A/S tires are designed to stop shorter on wet roads than leading competitors' brand-new tires, as well as provide all-season traction on wintry roads, even in light snow.

The Premier A/S is a Michelin Total Performance tire that utilizes innovative technologies to bring multiple performances together. Combining stopping power, driving control, promised weather appropriateness and enhanced fuel efficiency, Michelin Total Performance tires reduce the influence of traditional trade-offs normally associated with tires. Michelin Total Performance is a promise of Michelin tire excellence.

Premier A/S tires use an extreme silica and sunflower oil enhanced tread compound to increase traction in wet and cold temperatures. This compound is molded into a symmetric tread design featuring a continuous center rib flanked by notched intermediate ribs and linked shoulder blocks to deliver straight-line tracking and responsive dry-road handling. Michelin EverGrip Technology adds Expanding Rain Grooves around the tire's circumference and Emerging Grooves across the shoulders. As the tire wears, the Expanding Rain Grooves widen while Emerging Grooves open up across each shoulder block to help retain more traction in wet and wintry conditions.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-28-17 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-29-17, 10:20 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just saw this thread originated in '15, so I'm guessing the OP has made their decision . But for those looking now, I can highly recommend the P7's. They are super quiet, have a 70K tread warranty, and I recently used them in 6 inches of snow and they were great. Highly recommended!
Old 01-30-17, 09:39 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Just saw this thread originated in '15, so I'm guessing the OP has made their decision . But for those looking now, I can highly recommend the P7's. They are super quiet, have a 70K tread warranty, and I recently used them in 6 inches of snow and they were great. Highly recommended!
The negative for me about them was the rating, they have alot lower speed rating than stock. Granted none of us including myself would probably exceed it (131) but those considering them should keep that in mind. I've been happy with the Yokohama's I put on mine, they have really good performance so far.
Old 01-30-17, 10:11 AM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Michelin A/S FTW
Old 10-30-17, 10:56 AM
ix3ph09
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was Torn Between the Michelin A/S and the Pirelli P7s also. Ended up going with the P7 since I want a more smooth/comfortable ride.
Old 10-30-17, 11:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by ix3ph09
I was Torn Between the Michelin A/S and the Pirelli P7s also. Ended up going with the P7 since I want a more smooth/comfortable ride.
I pulled the Michelin Premier tires off my GS 350 after only 12k miles due to extreme premature [even] tire wear. I was happy with the Michelin tires except for the premature wear - I was only going to get about 20k miles from tires that are warranted for 60k miles! I installed Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires just last week. I think I'll be happy with the Pirelli tires...
Old 10-30-17, 01:01 PM
ISterguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
I pulled the Michelin Premier tires off my GS 350 after only 12k miles due to extreme premature [even] tire wear. I was happy with the Michelin tires except for the premature wear - I was only going to get about 20k miles from tires that are warranted for 60k miles! I installed Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires just last week. I think I'll be happy with the Pirelli tires...
I also chose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus and now have just over 8K on them and am very pleased. They are relatively quiet with good grip and wearing nicely. I also live in East TX. The Michelins are just too ridiculously expensive and don't last at all.
Old 10-31-17, 05:53 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Thought I'd chime in here with my experience, and I also have a question.

I've run the 18 inch Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my 2013 AWD Gs350 for the past two years. I have been very happy with the tires. Handling in rain is excellent. We have had mild winters here, but my experience in snow has been very satisfactory. I'm sure there are better tires for snow, but they've been good enough. Road noise is very low, which is important to me as well. I got them installed almost exactly 2 years and 40,000 miles ago and they are now at 3/32. I am happy with the longevity. I do a mix of highway and city driving, but the majority of the mileage is probably highway. I have had them rotated religiously every 4000-5500 miles, and had a new alignment performed when they were installed.

The guy at my tire shop (where I bought the michelins) suggested the Continental ContiPro Contacts might be a good alternative if I want to spend a little less. He said they will perform mostly the same as the MXM4s, but the main difference is that they will not last as long. Does anyone have any experience with the Continental ContiPro Contacts that they can provide? And how might they compare to the Michelin Primacy MXM4s, if you've also run those? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-17, 06:00 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Thought I'd chime in here with my experience, and I also have a question.

I've run the 18 inch Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my 2013 AWD Gs350 for the past two years. I have been very happy with the tires. Handling in rain is excellent. We have had mild winters here, but my experience in snow has been very satisfactory. I'm sure there are better tires for snow, but they've been good enough. Road noise is very low, which is important to me as well. I got them installed almost exactly 2 years and 40,000 miles ago and they are now at 3/32. I am happy with the longevity. I do a mix of highway and city driving, but the majority of the mileage is probably highway. I have had them rotated religiously every 4000-5500 miles, and had a new alignment performed when they were installed.

The guy at my tire shop (where I bought the michelins) suggested the Continental ContiPro Contacts might be a good alternative if I want to spend a little less. He said they will perform mostly the same as the MXM4s, but the main difference is that they will not last as long. Does anyone have any experience with the Continental ContiPro Contacts that they can provide? And how might they compare to the Michelin Primacy MXM4s, if you've also run those? Thanks in advance.
I prefer Conti's over Michelin. I feel like they are built better and carry 1 year manufacture warranty. I put them on my mom's accord and feels like a brand new car vs the Michelin's that came from factory. I do love the DWS06 but they run for a pretty penny
Old 10-31-17, 06:05 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
I prefer Conti's over Michelin. I feel like they are built better and carry 1 year manufacture warranty. I put them on my mom's accord and feels like a brand new car vs the Michelin's that came from factory. I do love the DWS06 but they run for a pretty penny
Thanks for the input and quick reply. How is road noise with Continental ContiPro Contacts? I like quiet tires. The Michelins were day and night compared to the Dunlops that they replaced. The Dunlops were horribly loud. They seem to have a bad reputation on here, so not really surprising.
Old 10-31-17, 06:08 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Thanks for the input and quick reply. How is road noise with Continental ContiPro Contacts? I like quiet tires. The Michelins were day and night compared to the Dunlops that they replaced. The Dunlops were horribly loud. They seem to have a bad reputation on here, so not really surprising.
Yeah Dunlops suck... Don't even know how they still in business. I think both are equally quiet. Michelins did get loud when they needed to be replaced but not sure on Contis. I do know on the DWS when I was almost low on my CLS, it got a bit noticeable with 4/32nd left but switched out for winter tires and sold the car

Quick Reply: Recommend some tires for wife's GS350?