GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 03:33 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner

Hey, hey, hey. Just picked her up from Carlsbad Lexus. Non F-Sport, Obsidian/Flaxen, Premium, etc.

Quick impressions:

1. Drives a lot like my ex BMW E60 (old 5 Series), same dynamics. That's good.
2. Feels luxurious, like the F10 (new 5 Series). Good.
3. Feels slower than my 2012 328i. Because of the turbo, the Bimmer accelerates very hard from low in the RPM, effortless. The GS is very sluggish down in the RPM, it needs to be reved all the way up and you only have a very narrow band where it feels like it's moving, between 5k and the red line. It sux, but I'll get use to it.
4. Driver's elbow rest is very poorly designed. It's narrow and it curves up, so my elbow is permanently slipping.
5. Very good quality overall, fit and finish, materials, everything checks out.
6. Oldish and cartoonish entertainment UI.
7. Standard sound system so much better than the standard in the BMW. Sounds like the BMW's Hartman Kardon.
8. Quiet. Quiet. Quiet. Next I'll remove the engine sound generator and swap the tires with P7 Cinturanto Plus.

Overall, happy. The biggest drawback, the engine, doesn't bother me too much as I don't track my cars. I'll just have to drop two or more gears before it can move

Thanks for answering my dumb questions and convincing me to buy the car
Old 08-13-15, 05:18 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats in your new car. My Luxury was Black/Flaxen too. Beautiful just too much effort to keep it swirls free. Now let's see a picture, shall we?
Old 08-13-15, 08:09 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Congrats metrathon! Great write-up with your initial impressions. I'm always curious to see how the car compares for others who have owned competing vehicles in the same class (more or less).

Definitely share some pics of your new ride when you have a chance. Enjoy her!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 08-13-15, 08:58 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 08-13-15, 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Congrats! Glad to see you finally get your car.
Old 08-13-15, 10:07 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new ride. Glad to hear you're enjoying it
Old 08-13-15, 10:11 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 08-14-15, 07:17 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default interesting

thoughts, congrats on your purchase and safe driving with it,
there seems to be a common theme appearing of bmw drivers searching for more with the lexus product but in reality falls short,
for those who want handling and ***** out fun the gs is better than a 528 or 535
for those who want luxury, sport occasionally, tech, design, prestige, and cutting edge motor technology bmw is the clear choice.
this v6 should have been retired 4 years ago, ridiculous economy in todays 3 and 4 dollar gas per gallon
safe driving to all
Old 08-14-15, 09:26 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Looking at the '16 GS pictures, I'm not sorry I got the '15. I like both in equal measure, there are some improvements in the '16 for sure, but I'm also sure I wouldn't have been able to get the same deal on a '16 that I got on the '15.

Excited to see the 2.0T in the GS tho, I take it as a promise for a soon coming 3.0T or 3.5T. If that happens, there no foreseeable reason for going back to Germans. IMO all this car really misses is more torque.

Pics coming soon.
Old 08-16-15, 06:53 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm always always in S mode, sometimes S+ if the road is exceptionally smooth. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the computer is very conservative on how it doles out torque thanks to the stability/traction control. Go into S mode, then hold down the traction control button for about 10 seconds. That totally disables the nanny system and you will get more torque from a dead stop. This car just tries not to spin the rear wheels, and sometimes it tries too hard for my taste.
Old 08-17-15, 05:51 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Hey, hey, hey. Just picked her up from Carlsbad Lexus. Non F-Sport, Obsidian/Flaxen, Premium, etc.

Quick impressions:

1. Drives a lot like my ex BMW E60 (old 5 Series), same dynamics. That's good.
2. Feels luxurious, like the F10 (new 5 Series). Good.
3. Feels slower than my 2012 328i. Because of the turbo, the Bimmer accelerates very hard from low in the RPM, effortless. The GS is very sluggish down in the RPM, it needs to be reved all the way up and you only have a very narrow band where it feels like it's moving, between 5k and the red line. It sux, but I'll get use to it.
4. Driver's elbow rest is very poorly designed. It's narrow and it curves up, so my elbow is permanently slipping.
5. Very good quality overall, fit and finish, materials, everything checks out.
6. Oldish and cartoonish entertainment UI.
7. Standard sound system so much better than the standard in the BMW. Sounds like the BMW's Hartman Kardon.
8. Quiet. Quiet. Quiet. Next I'll remove the engine sound generator and swap the tires with P7 Cinturanto Plus.

Overall, happy. The biggest drawback, the engine, doesn't bother me too much as I don't track my cars. I'll just have to drop two or more gears before it can move

Thanks for answering my dumb questions and convincing me to buy the car
On item 8, I have been contemplating the sound generator also. I think there are three options:
1. Replace with a 3GS air intake
2. Plug the air intake portion of the sound generator.
3. Take apart the sound generator portion of the air intake and remove the generator (if possible).

On 2 and 3 I don't know what the effect would be on the engine, will it cause problems, reduce horsepower, reduce gas mileage, etc.

Anyone have any insight? Please indicate whether you are surmising or have real experience.
Old 08-17-15, 01:56 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dougm213
1. Replace with a 3GS air intake
I think this is the safest option. How expensive can it be?
Old 08-17-15, 02:19 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Or u can just get the K&N kit for the 4GS, that will eliminate the sound generator and looks cool too. It will still use the factory box, ur basically just swapping the intake tube.
Old 08-17-15, 05:53 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Or u can just get the K&N kit for the 4GS, that will eliminate the sound generator and looks cool too. It will still use the factory box, ur basically just swapping the intake tube.
Whichever is cheaper, I never look under the bonnet
Old 08-17-15, 06:28 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
Whichever is cheaper, I never look under the bonnet
Maybe look into the F-sport CAI, since it removes sound generator. That way if something goes wrong, Lexus won't blame it on your aftermarket parts. It says for the IS, but it's the same engine. Someone on this forum fitted it to their GS.

http://www.amazon.com/Lexus-IS250-F-sport-Intake-System/dp/B008R0ETAM http://www.amazon.com/Lexus-IS250-F-sport-Intake-System/dp/B008R0ETAM

Quick Reply: New owner