GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY Front brake pads F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 05:05 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Normally the purpose of 2-piece rotors is to reduce the weight by making the center "hat" from aluminum. If you use a heavier rotor ride quality will degrade, etc.
I seriously don't think a 1 pc rotor will degrade ride quality too much at all. I think from a price point, the 1 pc EBC rotors are a great deal. Why spend almost $250.00 on one 2 pc rotor for a couple of ounces of saved weight ? People are putting 20-22in wheels on their GS and also wheel spacers, and ride quality isn't affected too much. Can't wait until the OP gets the correct rotor size and installs it.
Old 12-30-16, 05:52 PM
mesallem
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure if my pads will still be good once I receive and install these? any thoughts? should I just bite the bullet and get new pads? Anyone have experience with EBC Ultimax or the duralast(autozone) or should i stick with the akebonos? I dont want to take any chances so im going to do a new set of pads when i do the rotors
Old 01-02-17, 01:05 PM
mesallem
Driver School Candidate

Have another question. I notice when I go on to parts sites there are 3 separate part numbers for the brake pads. I see some with the number 1118, some with 1686 some 1586. The akebonos end in 1118 but that number shows as the non fsport in ebc catalog. autozone has the 1686 and the 1586, 1686 showing as the fsport in the akebono catalog. Here is a screenshot of the ebc catalog
Attached Thumbnails DIY Front brake pads F Sport-screen-shot-2017-01-02-at-1.03.18-pm.png  
Old 01-12-17, 01:50 AM
mesallem
Driver School Candidate

Got a shipping delay notice from the place I ordered from, new shipping date for rotors is 1/17/17, will keep you guys updated
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (01-12-17)
Old 01-31-17, 08:45 AM
mesallem
Driver School Candidate

Got another shipping delay, pretty frustrating. Also I started exhibiting the front clicking noise when turning. I have a 2015 fsport rwd, does anyone have the TSB for it. I can only find the one that covers up to 14 but I could have sworn I saw another one that had 15 included as well. I would rather have lexus foot the bill for the rotors.
Old 01-31-17, 01:13 PM
mesallem
Driver School Candidate

Just got a calling saying that it has been delayed to minimum of March 7. I guess EBC is not on top of their game as the place I purchased from keeps blaming it on EBC. Not sure what the issue is.
Old 03-04-17, 11:41 AM
mudbone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Money saver - Thanks! I went back in and installed Akebono ACT1118 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set with Lexus 04945-30330 shims. The Akebono's fit the F Sport. No brake noise.

Last edited by mudbone; 04-15-17 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-06-17, 04:10 PM
eemmwhy
Driver School Candidate

I saw a DIY video on YouTube on how to change rear rotors and pads. I want to change my FRONT rotors/pads. Is there much of a difference for the fronts? I have an AWD F sport so they're just one piece rotors.
Old 06-29-17, 08:51 PM
genghiskha
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone knows if it matter which way the pins goes in for the metal plate that's holding the brake pads?
Old 10-01-19, 01:05 PM
bhuebs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Everyone,

I have a 15 GS F-Sport RWD. I installed some new rotors and Akebono Pro ACT 1118 ceramic pads a couple of weekends ago. I took the risk on ceramic primarily because of the brake dust. So far that aspect has been great. Downside seemed to be the squeal, but it seemed to be a 50/50 problem with you guys. Unluckily for me I’ve got the squeal and it is unbearable. When I was researching on here it seemed like most of you were getting the squeal when they were cold. I have the opposite problem, I notice it when they are hot. Cold weather helps but hot California days I can’t avoid the squeal. On general google searches I’m reading brake grease on the back of the pad helps reduce this. Has anyone tried this to reduce the squeal? I can’t find that it’s been done anyone on here.
Old 10-01-19, 01:21 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuebs
Hey Everyone,

I have a 15 GS F-Sport RWD. I installed some new rotors and Akebono Pro ACT 1118 ceramic pads a couple of weekends ago. I took the risk on ceramic primarily because of the brake dust. So far that aspect has been great. Downside seemed to be the squeal, but it seemed to be a 50/50 problem with you guys. Unluckily for me I’ve got the squeal and it is unbearable. When I was researching on here it seemed like most of you were getting the squeal when they were cold. I have the opposite problem, I notice it when they are hot. Cold weather helps but hot California days I can’t avoid the squeal. On general google searches I’m reading brake grease on the back of the pad helps reduce this. Has anyone tried this to reduce the squeal? I can’t find that it’s been done anyone on here.
There is nothing you can do to stop the squealing other than going back to OEM rotors and pad. Trust me I have tried almost all options. Mine squeals like a *****!
Old 10-01-19, 01:35 PM
bhuebs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
There is nothing you can do to stop the squealing other than going back to OEM rotors and pad. Trust me I have tried almost all options. Mine squeals like a *****!
Why do you think they seem to work for some but not others? You've read others reporting no squeal as well? To me it seems crazy that a brake manufacturer (Akebono) could deem this acceptable. I'm still going to try the grease, only because I have to see for my self!
Old 10-01-19, 01:49 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Why do you think they seem to work for some but not others? You've read others reporting no squeal as well? To me it seems crazy that a brake manufacturer (Akebono) could deem this acceptable. I'm still going to try the grease, only because I have to see for my self!
Not sure if those reported no squealing have F Sport or not. F Sport front rotors and calipers are different than the regular GS hence I think that's what causing it to squeal with non-OEM rotors/pad combo's. I have not come across a single F Sport owner with non OEM rotors/pads without squealing. If you do find a combo with works, let me know. I have '15 F Sport as well.
The following users liked this post:
bhuebs (10-01-19)
Old 10-01-19, 01:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Why did you decide not to use brake grease? You should always use brake grease when installing new pads.
Old 10-01-19, 02:07 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I already tried greasing back of front pads twice. It does silence the squealing for a 200's miles. After which it will squeal again. Mine too squeals only when it reach operating temperature-hot. When cold it's silent. Very odd. Must be something with the ceramic pad materials and the caliper design of the F Sport. I have exact same ceramic pads on my 4Runner, no squealing at all!

Quick Reply: DIY Front brake pads F Sport