GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Safe to use Staggered wheels on AWD?? Need the facts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 04:08 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
But you can still flip them. However, that would depend on the tire though, not all tires you can flip.
Flipping them won't really get you anything
Old 08-26-15, 06:28 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Why would not it ?
Old 08-26-15, 06:49 PM
Kane007
Driver

I am looking to buy a set of used f sport wheels on ebay and every complete set I have seen are all staggered.

Also for those who say that staggered wheels need two different tire sizes, it depends how much wider the rear wheels are.. the tires I want can accommodate width of 8 to 9.5 inches with the same size tire. The f sport wheels are 8" wide in front and 9" wide in back. So same tire size on all 4 is fine right?

But does having 2 different rim widths do anything negative to the AWD system? I assume the wider rims are slightly heavy and I have no clue what affects AWD, if the different weights will mess it up or what not.. i dont know..
Old 08-26-15, 08:37 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Safe to use Staggered wheels on AWD?? Need the facts!

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Yes it will will wear a little different switching sides, but you have to make sure the tires are not directional.
Old 08-26-15, 09:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
But you can still flip them. However, that would depend on the tire though, not all tires you can flip.
yes you can flip the tires, i do that all the time. but you can do that on staggered setup too as long as you get the right tires (directional).

Originally Posted by Kane007
I am looking to buy a set of used f sport wheels on ebay and every complete set I have seen are all staggered.

Also for those who say that staggered wheels need two different tire sizes, it depends how much wider the rear wheels are.. the tires I want can accommodate width of 8 to 9.5 inches with the same size tire. The f sport wheels are 8" wide in front and 9" wide in back. So same tire size on all 4 is fine right?

But does having 2 different rim widths do anything negative to the AWD system? I assume the wider rims are slightly heavy and I have no clue what affects AWD, if the different weights will mess it up or what not.. i dont know..
"can" doesn't mean it's optimal. if you do the same tires front and rear it is going to look funny. on the front the tires will appear to be quite meaty, but for the rear it will look stretched. not a good idea

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yes it will will wear a little different switching sides, but you have to make sure the tires are not directional.
if the tires are not directional, then all you can do is just to put flip the wheels (not tires). if the alignment of the car is right, left and right wear on the tires should be very similar. so doing this kind of rotation won't gain you anything.

if you have directional tires, then you can flip the tires so the outside becomes inside, that could be quite beneficial given that most cars have negative camber these days.
Old 08-27-15, 06:46 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kane007

It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself in to it no matter what advice is given...so why not just do it and see how it works out
Old 08-27-15, 08:36 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes you can flip the tires, i do that all the time. but you can do that on staggered setup too as long as you get the right tires (directional).

"can" doesn't mean it's optimal. if you do the same tires front and rear it is going to look funny. on the front the tires will appear to be quite meaty, but for the rear it will look stretched. not a good idea

if the tires are not directional, then all you can do is just to put flip the wheels (not tires). if the alignment of the car is right, left and right wear on the tires should be very similar. so doing this kind of rotation won't gain you anything.

if you have directional tires, then you can flip the tires so the outside becomes inside, that could be quite beneficial given that most cars have negative camber these days.
Guess I had it the wrong way.
Old 08-27-15, 01:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Guess I had it the wrong way.
if tires are directional, they can only go in one direction. if the tire is mounted on the right side, that means the "left" side of that tire will wear out faster due to negative camber. so what people do is they flip the tires, meaning the right tire goes to the left, and left tire goes to the right. so now on the same originally right tire that's worn on the "left" side, now it's on the left side of the car and the "right" side of the tire wears more, thus canceling out the uneven wear.

for non-directional tires, there is only outside and inside. no matter how you put it, outside is still outside. inside will always wear faster.

that's big reason why i always get directional tires
Old 10-25-15, 09:14 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would seriously consider if your running a staggered set up that you keep the diameter equal and the rolling diameter as equal as possible.

I'm now experiencing differential problems and it all points to the staggered wheels being the cause.

Problem is it takes awhile and the problem is it appears some people get away with it. Hard for me to nail down. The other issue which I debate is, according to my research you actually negate performance on the Lexus, other brands, not sure, they have more advanced AWD or they are designed still applying higher % traction to the rear.. Yes the 2015 lexus does have staggered wheels and the rotational diameter is only off .56% or so.

Possibility causing less steering performance as well. Additionally I believe you may lose braking performance due to the leverage the wheels impose on the factory braking system.