GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Newfound respect for my GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 09:36 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Newfound respect for my GS

So as I have accepted a new job at Audi, I have driven a number of there cars and came to the realization that none of them can match my 4GS in overall comfort and even technology. One thing that I find much better in the GS is how there is no button on the shifter. Another is the use of an naturally aspirated engine, I dislike how turbos will keep pulling even after I let go of the gas. Just thought I would share my new love with my GS with the rest of you all.

P.S. I have driven the more expensive Audi's I still believe they are no match for the GS
Old 08-26-15, 09:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Well that's always good to hear!
Old 08-27-15, 06:42 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I am very impressed with my buddies new C400... it's the only car that i like the interior more than the GS (in the same price range). However, they are both nice cars.
Old 08-27-15, 08:49 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you like your GS so much. In reality it's under-teched, and under-powered when compared to A6 3.0T. Generally I'm not crazy about Audi, but they are at the cutting edge of technology. Also not sure what turbo engines keep going when you take your foot off, something is not right.

Last edited by metrathon; 08-27-15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 09:55 AM
Metsfan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

"Under-powered" and "under-teched" are somewhat subjective, but I respect your argument. And although this is somewhat unrelated, while we're comparing the GS and the Audi, where I am, New York, there's an Audi in about 3 out of 5 upscale suburban driveways, a BMW in 1, and Jags and Mercedes split the leftover. The GS is rare enough that it still turns heads. It may be different on the West Coast, but Audi has EXPLODED in the East. I'm numb to the styling—it's about as exciting as a Chevy Cruz.
Old 08-27-15, 11:14 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear. I love Audi styling, very very sexy and would probably be driving one if I didnt get the GS.

Love aggressive grills.
Old 08-27-15, 12:03 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

It still turns head here in South Cali too. I was at the self car wash the other day and a guy with a charger complemented my ride and a guy with his wife with a BMW 3 breaking their necks watching me leave the place.
Old 08-27-15, 12:23 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Metsfan
"Under-powered" and "under-teched" are somewhat subjective, but I respect your argument. And although this is somewhat unrelated, while we're comparing the GS and the Audi, where I am, New York, there's an Audi in about 3 out of 5 upscale suburban driveways, a BMW in 1, and Jags and Mercedes split the leftover. The GS is rare enough that it still turns heads. It may be different on the West Coast, but Audi has EXPLODED in the East. I'm numb to the styling—it's about as exciting as a Chevy Cruz.
Audi generally exploded in US. The magic of smart and aggressive advertising

Under-powered and under-teched are not really subjective terms. I'm not talking about how each individual perceives/appreciates the levels of power or technology. You know, some ppl don't care about LED adaptive headlights, or if the navi has Google or not, or if 0 - 60 is in 4.9s or in 5.6s. That is subjective indeed. What I'm talking about are numbers and features taken from the spec sheet and there's not much room for subjectivity there. Of course, you're paying a hefty price for all the power and tech that Audi offers.

Not bashing the GS, I just got one. I can say for sure that compared to an A6 *similarly priced*, there is no contest, GS is a winner. This is an objective statement
But to say that GS meets or exceeds the level of tech in A6, in general, that's just not true.
Old 08-27-15, 12:52 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
Good to hear. I love Audi styling, very very sexy and would probably be driving one if I didnt get the GS.

Love aggressive grills.
totally with you on this. I looked at 535, but didn't like the rims or interior. I was between Lexus and Audi. Went with Lexus for reliability and maintenance costs.
Old 08-27-15, 01:59 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by popping
Went with Lexus for reliability and maintenance costs.
+1

What about bang for the buck?
Old 08-27-15, 02:02 PM
smathis71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you like your GS. I have an older GS 2001. Due to keeping up with the maintenance, it still rides as good as my 2008 LS 460.
Old 08-27-15, 11:52 PM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the technology in the Audi's may be more advanced it is a lot more difficult to use. With Audi's in my opinion there isn't that sense of just get in relax and let the car do the rest. The GS has this, it invites you to relax and unwind while you go home, where as the Audi's don't really do this. However, I must say the Audi 3.0T is an amazing engine especially in the S4/S5. As well as the dual clutch transmission, the speed at which it shifted was amazing, and Launch Control is intoxicating Lexus really needs it. This is all of course only my opinion, and I do welcome other opinions as well.
Old 08-28-15, 06:33 AM
Metsfan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metrathon
Audi generally exploded in US. The magic of smart and aggressive advertising

Under-powered and under-teched are not really subjective terms. I'm not talking about how each individual perceives/appreciates the levels of power or technology. You know, some ppl don't care about LED adaptive headlights, or if the navi has Google or not, or if 0 - 60 is in 4.9s or in 5.6s. That is subjective indeed. What I'm talking about are numbers and features taken from the spec sheet and there's not much room for subjectivity there. Of course, you're paying a hefty price for all the power and tech that Audi offers.

Not bashing the GS, I just got one. I can say for sure that compared to an A6 *similarly priced*, there is no contest, GS is a winner. This is an objective statement
But to say that GS meets or exceeds the level of tech in A6, in general, that's just not true.
I see what you're saying and I can tell from your list of vehicles (past and present) you know what you're talking about. So I suppose what I meant was that the GS has enough tech and power for me. And truthfully, it has enough for what most people use it for, but obviously that depends on the person. When the new Audi style came out a few years ago I loved it—very clean and elegant. They never made it a secret that they were looking to steal BMWs' share of the market. And I have to say that while I still prefer BMW's styling at every level, Audi has taken a huge bite out of their sales. Now that Jag is really putting on the pressure, I'll be interested to see how they do. I know that they're coming out with an SUV.
Old 08-28-15, 07:45 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
I am very impressed with my buddies new C400... it's the only car that i like the interior more than the GS (in the same price range). However, they are both nice cars.

About a year ago I was looking at the new C class. For me, the base c class model DOES NOT look good. You'll have to get the sport trim. I like the design of the interior except the tablet like display.
Old 08-28-15, 08:33 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting comments. I owned a couple of Audi S5 Cabriolets prior to trading for a '13 GS F Sport. I kept that GS for almost 3 years, which is almost a record for me, because it was such a great car. I really wanted to go back to a coupe and I don't care for the RC, so now I am now back in a '15 S5 Coupe. I love the car, but there a are plusses and minuses to each vehicle.

I find the MMI is much easier to use in the S5. Also, the S5 is a torque monster. It is exceptionally fun to drive. However, the GS was also fun and made a great sound under WOT. The interior was much more updated, especially with the Cabernet leather and the large screen, and I miss that. Also, the Mark Levinson system in the GS was much better than the Bang & Olufsen system in the S5.

The S5 is a totally different animal than the GS. You give up some creature comforts for the driving experience. But if you are driving A6's, etc. I can totally understand where you are coming from. I would take a GS over an A6 any day. My logical trade from an S5 Cabriolet would have been an A6, but I just didn't like the exterior, interior or driving experience as much as the GS.

Anyway, you are getting to experience the best of both worlds!

Last edited by dseag2; 08-28-15 at 08:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Newfound respect for my GS