GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

WARNING toxic chemical sticker

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 07:10 PM
lawdoc79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING toxic chemical sticker

So . . . I picked up a brand new Nebula on Cabernet F-sport last week and with less than 100 miles on the odo, committed a total noob fail. After getting my keys, I noticed a very obtrusive warning sticker on my driver-side window about 4"x3" blocking my field of vision through the driver side door window. Having just narrowly escaped the confines of the finance manager's torture chamber without breaking the bank, I foolishly turned down the dealer's offer to remove the sticker before I left the lot, thinking that I could just take it off when I get home.

Well . . . I took the sticker off the next day but failed to remove the gunk that it left behind (because I did not have the proper chemicals). When I rolled down my window, the gunk grabbed onto the interior weather stripping and dragged it down with the window. In horror, I rolled the window back up as soon as I realized my stupidity, but alas, the damage was already done. After failing multiple times to fix the weather stripping myself, I brought it back to the dealer and had it fixed. Unfortunately, I'm now left with a warped weather strip which I have to stare at each time I get into the car.

Be warned friends, and hopefully this post will prevent others from making the same mistake.
Old 08-28-15, 07:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdoc79
So . . . I picked up a brand new Nebula on Cabernet F-sport last week and with less than 100 miles on the odo, committed a total noob fail. After getting my keys, I noticed a very obtrusive warning sticker on my driver-side window about 4"x3" blocking my field of vision through the driver side door window. Having just narrowly escaped the confines of the finance manager's torture chamber without breaking the bank, I foolishly turned down the dealer's offer to remove the sticker before I left the lot, thinking that I could just take it off when I get home.

Well . . . I took the sticker off the next day but failed to remove the gunk that it left behind (because I did not have the proper chemicals). When I rolled down my window, the gunk grabbed onto the interior weather stripping and dragged it down with the window. In horror, I rolled the window back up as soon as I realized my stupidity, but alas, the damage was already done. After failing multiple times to fix the weather stripping myself, I brought it back to the dealer and had it fixed. Unfortunately, I'm now left with a warped weather strip which I have to stare at each time I get into the car.

Be warned friends, and hopefully this post will prevent others from making the same mistake.
Have it replaced...
Old 08-28-15, 08:42 PM
lawdoc79
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Have it replaced...
I would rather live with the warped weather strip for the next three year (lease) than have the door panel removed and risk potential rattling down the line. Plus, dealer would only do it under warranty if it interfered with the operation of the window.

Ces't la vie
Old 08-30-15, 08:51 AM
armrelax
Driver School Candidate

Not the wise decision on your end, but when you buy lexus from a dealer, the experience of luxury comes along with it. you should let them do everything for you so you dont have to do anything when you get home but just enjoying the drive home