New brake pads installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 11:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
The Lexus engineers didn't design the brake pads
The Lexus engineers sure chose which brake pad to use on their vehicles!
Old 10-10-15, 06:56 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Lexus engineers sure chose which brake pad to use on their vehicles!
And everyone knows the oem parts are the only thing you can ever use to replace, repair or maintain your vehicle....we aren't launching a space shuttle, they are brake pads....there are better parts out there then what came on the car, that's how they keep costs down
Old 10-10-15, 07:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

And everyone knows the oem parts are the only thing you can ever use to replace, repair or maintain your vehicle....we aren't launching a space shuttle, they are brake pads....there are better parts out there then what came on the car, that's how they keep costs down
Better brake pads? Better with reference to what - stopping, repeat braking, fade, pad wear, comfort, noise, dust, rotor wear, cold friction, wet friction, etc.?
Old 10-10-15, 07:52 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Better brake pads? Better with reference to what - stopping, repeat braking, fade, pad wear, comfort, noise, dust, rotor wear, cold friction, wet friction, etc.?
Bremb.....would be better in all aspects of performance. Do you actually have yourself convinced that your car has the best brakes on the planet
Old 10-11-15, 10:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Bremb.....would be better in all aspects of performance. Do you actually have yourself convinced that your car has the best brakes on the planet
There are no brakes (pads, rotors or combination) that is actually 'best' under all conditions for all people (whether used as a casual daily-driver, or aggressively driven on the street, or used for circle track/road racing), because 'best' is based on the needs and parameters that the owner requires of their brakes (e.g. stopping distance, repeat braking, fade, initial grab, pad wear, rotor wear, comfort, noise, dust, cold friction, heat friction, wet friction, etc., etc.).

For example, if you have ever spent much time around or driven a dedicated circle track/road racing car you would know that the brakes used on the race car are the very best for the racing conditions the car is used for, however those same superior brakes would be absolutely terrible for an everyday street-driven car because those brakes would likely have terrible initial bite, would likely need to be heated-up before they brake well, would be very abrasive and eat rotors at an alarming rate, would screech and squeal like a wounded feline, etc., etc.

Some high-performance vehicles, like the Audi R8, Nissan GT-R and even Dodge’s old Viper aren’t even equipped with carbon ceramic brakes, yet can stop as fast, or faster than vehicles with the high-tech brake materials. In fact, they stop in as few as 100 feet from 60 mph. Stopping distances are controlled first and foremost by the tires' adhesion and grip to the road. The brakes simply are the mechanisms that slow the tire. A brake's pad provides torque just as a metal rotor does...

'Best' for one person's needs may not be the 'best' for another person's needs. Thus, 'best' brakes should be changed to read 'preferred' brakes based on one's needs and desires, which can vary greatly...

Lexus Supercar LFA Brakes

New brake pads installed-cgvelva.jpg

Last edited by bclexus; 10-11-15 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-11-15, 02:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Why My $177,000 Porsche's Brakes Squeal, and Why It's Not OK

Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) Pads

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What brake pads are the best?

The answer here is subjective. Only you know what you want out of your braking system. Some want more performance- some want less dust, etc... Every manufacturer that we carry is a 'class of the field' performance brake pad manufacturer. If there was ONE pad or ONE compound that was better than any other- then we wouldn't have all of these different manufacturers - would we?

In general, we always recommend using a high-quality, semi-metallic pad. Semi-metallic pads offer premium stopping power and fade resistance. Many of the semi-metallic or hybrid pad compositions also offer very low dust and are noise free. Lastly, I can tell you this: BRAKING IS A TRADE-OFF
You cannot have better braking performance with less dust and/or less rotor wear. If you want better stopping power- then that comes with the price of potentially more brake dust and more accelerated rotor wear. If you give up a degree of performance- then you can have less dust and less rotor wear.
Old 10-11-15, 03:05 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Why My $177,000 Porsche's Brakes Squeal, and Why It's Not OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUljLu3yQVk
Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) Pads

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What brake pads are the best?

The answer here is subjective. Only you know what you want out of your braking system. Some want more performance- some want less dust, etc... Every manufacturer that we carry is a 'class of the field' performance brake pad manufacturer. If there was ONE pad or ONE compound that was better than any other- then we wouldn't have all of these different manufacturers - would we?

In general, we always recommend using a high-quality, semi-metallic pad. Semi-metallic pads offer premium stopping power and fade resistance. Many of the semi-metallic or hybrid pad compositions also offer very low dust and are noise free. Lastly, I can tell you this: BRAKING IS A TRADE-OFF
You cannot have better braking performance with less dust and/or less rotor wear. If you want better stopping power- then that comes with the price of potentially more brake dust and more accelerated rotor wear. If you give up a degree of performance- then you can have less dust and less rotor wear.
I would be more concerned about why my "$177,000 Porsche" has a bmw logo on the steering wheel.

For me I guess I am willing to take the trade off on my daily driver...even though my new brake pads seem to work as well or better then the oem ones..,
Old 10-11-15, 03:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I would be more concerned about why my "$177,000 Porsche" has a bmw logo on the steering wheel.
You did not click on the link!

Here > Why My $177,000 Porsche's Brakes Squeal, and Why It's Not OK
Old 10-11-15, 03:34 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

I just realized you don't even have an f sport, so you don't even have the same brake pads the rest of us are complaining about...

How about I send you my oem pads and you can put them in your car so you can have the same brakes we all have....i promise you great stopping and tons of dust, and maybe some squealing to!!
Old 10-11-15, 05:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I just realized you don't even have an f sport, so you don't even have the same brake pads the rest of us are complaining about...

How about I send you my oem pads and you can put them in your car so you can have the same brakes we all have....i promise you great stopping and tons of dust, and maybe some squealing to!!
I just realized that you have [almost certainly] never driven a dedicated race car with 700+ hp at speeds upward toward 200 mph. I don't need an GS 350 F-Sport to know about brakes...
Old 10-11-15, 06:06 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

I just realized that you have [almost certainly] never driven a dedicated race car with 700+ hp at speeds upward toward 200 mph. I don't need an GS 350 F-Sport to know about brakes...
So now your Michael Schumacher
Old 10-11-15, 06:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Why do the brake pads on German cars generate so much brake dust?

It's important here to quote Porsche's development manager for brake systems:
Our cars can go from the street to the racetrack without hesitation. We could change the pad material to help the dust problem, but we would never do that. We may have more dust on the wheel, but we provide our customers with better braking performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

European brake systems are designed for the autobahn, where high speeds need to be scrubbed off quickly, even with a cold rotor and pad. This is why European automakers tend to use high friction pad compounds that offer high bite even when cold. The trade-off for this excellent cold temperature performance is that these pads tend to be quite dusty - and noisy.

High carbon rotors are now used to counter the noise issue, because of their ability to dampen sound. The “softer” carbon-rich alloy increases the friction couple, working more aggressively with the brake pad to stop the car quicker, and in a more controlled manner. That being said, the high friction interface also produces more wear on the pad and rotor, which produces more dust.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From what I've been told by BMW, many performance German cars use softer brake pads (by design) for improved stopping performance. As a consequence of this, the softer pads produce more brake dust in comparison to other automotive manufacturers that use stiffer pads with lower performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I specifically ask for the "dusty pads" for my BMW M. The low-dust pads are terrible.

Brake pads are heat sinks. Motion energy is turned into heat and dumped into the pads. The shedding give them their bite and helps shed the heat as well.

I've gone to a race track with a clean car, and come off with completely black wheels, and not just completely black, but sheets and layers of black. Wouldn't have it any other way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone who complains about brake dust does not deserve the superior braking capability their cars provide. They are probably happier with drum brakes… until they rear end someone.

My E90 M3 generates a ton of brake dust and squeals a lot. So what? The car can outbrake many cars costing twice or more. Shut up and start scrubbing.
Old 10-11-15, 06:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So now your Michael Schumacher
No, are you?
Old 10-12-15, 09:41 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Alright I switched back to my OEM pads and all is well again. So much for the dust free wheels!

The OEM pads do cover the entire disc surface unlike the aftermarket one leaves a rust ring in the middle. I feel better now that my car can stop on a dime without slipping.

Glad that things are fine now haha. Definitely made me think twice before pulling the trigger on trying out ceramics.
Old 10-12-15, 11:09 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Glad that things are fine now haha. Definitely made me think twice before pulling the trigger on trying out ceramics.
It bites fine under normal driving, but when u really need that extra bite, it can't do it. I need all the power I can get to stop this beast!

Quick Reply: New brake pads installed