GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake parts source?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 01:58 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Brake parts source?

I'm beginning to look for parts to replace brakes on my 2013 GS350 AWD. There are so many options out there that the task is daunting. Any ideas for sourcing good parts at the lowest cost (besides RockAuto) Thanks?
Old 09-09-15, 04:34 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are replacing pads, the autozone c max gold are nice, I replaced my oem pads with 5k miles on them because of the dirty mess they made of my front wheels...

I have my old pads if interested, basically brand new....
Old 09-09-15, 05:33 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

I never thought of Autozone house brand products as that good, but I've noticed several forum members have used them, and the reviews are very good. That's what I'll get. BTW, do folks change rotors with every brake change, resurface, or use the old ones as is?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-15, 05:53 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Autozone doesn't make brake pads, not sure who makes them, but the c max gold are very high quality...

Chances are your rotors are fine as is, I would do a visual inspection, make sure you don't have any deep grooves...

How many miles on the car?
Old 09-09-15, 05:55 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

25k miles. I rotated the tires and checked the brakes, which look like they've got about 5k miles left on them (I always change brakes before they are down tyo nothing). I'm beginning to shop around for parts for a brake change in the spring.
Old 09-09-15, 06:08 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any DIY for the 4GS in the forum yet? I checked the FAQ sticky above and did not see it. I cannot imagine changing the brakes/rotors on this car would be much more difficult than the 3GS, but just want to make sure there aren't any tricks I would need to know before attempting to replace all four brakes/rotors. Thanks!
Old 09-09-15, 06:10 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

From looking at the brakes, they seem quite straightforward. It is hopeful that the parts are basically the same as previous generations. Looks like an easy item. Still, if anyone knows of any issues or tricks, please post.
Old 09-09-15, 07:08 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

There is a diy out there, but it is very straight forward, one cotter pin holding one caliper pin, one clip under the pin....

It will take you longer to jack up the car and take the wheel off then it will to swap out the pads
Old 09-09-15, 07:30 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
There is a diy out there, but it is very straight forward, one cotter pin holding one caliper pin, one clip under the pin....

It will take you longer to jack up the car and take the wheel off then it will to swap out the pads
sounds like what I expected. Thanks.
Old 09-10-15, 08:33 AM
JamesGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if you guys know this...Autozone pads have lifetime warranty, meaning you only have to pay for them once, so get the most expensive ones. The way it works is that you pay for them once, then when comes time to replace your pads the second time, buy the same pads, replace the old pads and returrn the old ones for a full refund. I've done this many times with my old Acuras. The pads are very good. So don't be cheap, buy the most expensive ones since you only pay for it once. FYI...they don't have the 4GS pads in stores, you have to order them online. Good luck!
Old 09-10-15, 08:53 AM
mistatran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys typically replace the rear pads too when replacing the fronts? I'm in need of some pads too and going with the C Max ones. But seeing if you guys replace all 4 at the same time all the time. Thanks.
Old 09-10-15, 10:39 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

the best brakes to use on that car is Akebono brakes ACT 1118 fronts and ACT 1391 rears, no brake dust and stops ver good and no noise, the Autozone brakes are harsh pads and those are $5 pads and they sell it for whatever $30-40 , so u can do as many warranties u want , they still make money on it , but u end up damaging ur rotors, its all up to u of what u want to use on ur car.good luck.
Old 09-10-15, 10:45 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
I'm beginning to look for parts to replace brakes on my 2013 GS350 AWD. There are so many options out there that the task is daunting. Any ideas for sourcing good parts at the lowest cost (besides RockAuto) Thanks?

Try...Tirerack.com and Topbrakes.com
Old 09-10-15, 10:58 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
the best brakes to use on that car is Akebono brakes ACT 1118 fronts and ACT 1391 rears, no brake dust and stops ver good and no noise, the Autozone brakes are harsh pads and those are $5 pads and they sell it for whatever $30-40 , so u can do as many warranties u want , they still make money on it , but u end up damaging ur rotors, its all up to u of what u want to use on ur car.good luck.
Not true, the autozone c max are very high quality ceramic pads...I have used the c max gold a few times now for replacement on brembos and they are fantastic, you clearly haven't used them before...
Old 09-11-15, 04:46 PM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
Last time I checked OEM costs about the same so why not get OEM? Yes it has more dust but more bite as well

Quick Reply: Brake parts source?