GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

So I was a dumb dumb

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15 | 06:36 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Default So I was a dumb dumb

Mistake by me caused some scratches but no dents on the right rear bumper.. picture below. I'm kicking my own rear right now and pretty sad.

Any tips or suggestions?

I'm in Bay Area California, any ideas how much this would cost to touch up?

It's a lease, does that make a difference if I get it touched up? how about car fax and such..

thanks for the help in advance..

Last edited by jcochong37; 09-10-15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-10-15 | 06:40 PM
hostilesc
Driver School Candidate

Just buff it out the best you can. Hope the leasing agency doesnt notice it. If they do in my experience at lease they will just charge you a fee for the damage and not to fix the actual bumper. Much better to pay the fee like hundred two hundred bucks than to try to pay someone to fix it.
Old 09-10-15 | 06:44 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcochong37
Mistake by me caused some scratches but no dents on the right rear bumper.. picture below. I'm kicking my own rear right now and pretty sad.

Any tips or suggestions?

I'm in Bay Area California, any ideas how much this would cost to touch up?

It's a lease, does that make a difference if I get it touched up? how about car fax and such..

thanks for the help in advance..
Ouch! But could be worse. Your better off not touching it up. Local body shop can R&I the bumper and refinish. Dealer should have shops they recommend. Looking about $795
to do it right.
Based on your pics

Last edited by biggame; 09-11-15 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-10-15 | 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To do it right its got to be repainted completely.$800-1,200 at a really high quality shop.
Old 09-10-15 | 07:14 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

thank you guys, is it even worth fixing before lease or at all if I decide to keep it
Old 09-10-15 | 09:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You'll have to fix it for the lease, so you may as well fix it now. If it bothers you, fix it.
Old 09-11-15 | 12:08 AM
fhan888
Driver

Wait until your lease is up. Who knows what may happen till then. All it takes is for some jack hole who doesn't know how to park to cause more damage. This way you just pay to have it fixed one time.
Old 09-11-15 | 05:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default So I was a dumb dumb

Then you have to drive it until the end of the lease that way, and if that significantly reduces his enjoyment of his car he should have it fixed.

He's paying a lot of money to drive this car, it's a luxury item, not a Yaris. No reason to drive it beat up "because it's a lease" if it bothers him IMHO.
Old 09-11-15 | 06:24 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

I had similar damage to my rear bumper when my car was sitting in a parking lot by a "hit and run". Top quality body shop recommended by Lexus removed the entire bumper and computer-matched the paint and repainted the entire bumper. Excellent job. You'd never know it was ever damaged and the paint match was perfect. Cost for repair was right around $500-$550. Cost was mostly covered by insurance because the deductible was lower for "hit and run" damage. I think my out-of-pocket was around $150.
Old 09-11-15 | 10:34 AM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

If it's a lease you are far better off getting it fixed. When you return it, your out of pocket is going to be substantially more if the finance company were to take care of it and charge you.

Take it to a shop and get an estimate. If your deductible is low enough, use your insurance to take care of it. That's what is for. If you need any help, feel free to email me: Michael@zeygerinsurance.com.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-15 | 12:03 PM
jjscsix
Racer

You can get that done for a hell of a lot less than some of the prices in this thread. Also, I would never make an insurance claim for something that I can fix out of pocket for $500 or even $1000. I'm surprised by the comment above "that is what insurance is for". Save insurance for the big stuff. Don't risk having them pay for small stuff when a another claim could send you rates up.
Old 09-11-15 | 12:15 PM
rjm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjscsix
You can get that done for a hell of a lot less than some of the prices in this thread. Also, I would never make an insurance claim for something that I can fix out of pocket for $500 or even $1000. I'm surprised by the comment above "that is what insurance is for". Save insurance for the big stuff. Don't risk having them pay for small stuff when a another claim could send you rates up.

Why wouldn't you make a claim for a $500-$1000 repair?? In my case my premiums didn't change because someone scraped my bumper. A hit and run claim is a no-fault claim with my company. Premiums are not affected. And as mentioned, the deductable was reduced to $150, down from a normal deductible of $500. And I suppose you could repair the OP's bumper for less than $500-$1000. A $5 can of paint and a paint brush and you could have it fixed for less than $10.
Old 09-11-15 | 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If its a comprehensive claim then theres no reason not to make a claim, except for the fact that when you do go to shop for new insurance that claim will be on your CLUE report, and will effect your rates at the new company.

If you don't anticipate this happening then by all means, file the claim.

I don't think the OP's claim is a comprehensive claim though.

Yes, you can get it "done" for less than this, but not done well by a high end body shop, which is the route I would always go.
Old 09-11-15 | 02:15 PM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jjscsix
It's a leased car. A blend just to do a cover up at a mediocre shop can potentially cause issues for the OP when returning the car. I lease from Lexus and know how they charge for every little thing - maybe its just my experience, but it is what is. And yes, that is what insurance is for. The increase in premium that you'll see (if any at all due to different thresholds for each insurer on payouts) is not likely to be so massive that the OP will feel it.

We are all making assumptions to the OP's situation. I do not know what their loss history is like. I speak from experience, and even if it is $1000 and the OP has a $500 deductible, why take on the hit yourself without much if any recourse?

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If its a comprehensive claim then theres no reason not to make a claim, except for the fact that when you do go to shop for new insurance that claim will be on your CLUE report, and will effect your rates at the new company.

If you don't anticipate this happening then by all means, file the claim.

I don't think the OP's claim is a comprehensive claim though.

Yes, you can get it "done" for less than this, but not done well by a high end body shop, which is the route I would always go.
Well said. If the vehicle was moving then you're likely right, it won't be comprehensive. Getting an estimate at a quality shop is the first step that I would take just to see where you'd be at. I doubt a quality shop is going to just touch it upm OP. They'll probably blend it far from the actual scratches to do a good job.
Old 09-11-15 | 02:21 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeyger
If it's a lease you are far better off getting it fixed. When you return it, your out of pocket is going to be substantially more if the finance company were to take care of it and charge you.

Take it to a shop and get an estimate. If your deductible is low enough, use your insurance to take care of it. That's what is for. If you need any help, feel free to email me: Michael@zeygerinsurance.com.

Good luck.
Yeah, make a claim and then all the lease company has to do is run a vehicle history report, like on AutoCheck, and it will show up which will devalue the vehicle.

Quick Reply: So I was a dumb dumb