GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

any real HP and torque gain from custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 06:26 AM
ak18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any real HP and torque gain from custom exhaust

Is there any performance gained from replacing gs-f exhaust either catback or axleback other than deeper tone? HP? Torque?
Old 09-11-15, 02:18 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Of course there is, and if you install one of the carburetors they sell on the internet that the gas companies don't want you to know about, you can get 100 mpg at the same time too!

Old 09-12-15, 06:15 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-mu...uffler-add.htm

"Replacing your car's muffler alone is not enough to open up the restrictive exhaust system and allow the extra airflow that increases performance. Everything that comes before the muffler, where the pressure is greatest and performance potential is highest, will remain tight and congested."
Old 09-13-15, 12:47 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Dinan guys publish dyno numbers for all of their mods, which is one of the reasons their stuff is so expensive. Exhaust alone does little; exhaust plus induction-side mods do a lot.
Old 09-13-15, 03:39 PM
Nobeanspls
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5PM
The Dinan guys publish dyno numbers for all of their mods, which is one of the reasons their stuff is so expensive. Exhaust alone does little; exhaust plus induction-side mods do a lot.
Dinan charges alot because of their warranty. Their dynos are at the crank and actually shows that their stuff has some of the lower gains for the money.

I do not know about the direct injection 3.5 2GR FSE in our GS, but the 3.5 2GR FE in my old Rav4 saw significant gains with a straight through muffler.
Old 09-13-15, 03:48 PM
Martin321
Driver

My friend is leasing a BMW 535 and he said that he has a racing chip installed in his car. He did it himself and he claims that revs are adjusted to make the car 30 or so HP faster. I am not sure if Lexus has anything like that. With 6 gears instead of 8, I have to read up on this. I think F plus sports mode activates or is the same thing as the so called "racing chip".
Old 09-13-15, 06:20 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin321
My friend is leasing a BMW 535 and he said that he has a racing chip installed in his car. He did it himself and he claims that revs are adjusted to make the car 30 or so HP faster. I am not sure if Lexus has anything like that. With 6 gears instead of 8, I have to read up on this. I think F plus sports mode activates or is the same thing as the so called "racing chip".
What your friend has is an undertuned turbo engine in his 535i. The ship he got increases the max boost pressure and give additional HP/TQ. There isn't a "quick fix" like that for or naturally aspirated (non-turbo) engine.

BTW, I had a 535i before my 4GS and my tune was more like +90HP....
Old 09-13-15, 07:08 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by puffdaddy
What your friend has is an undertuned turbo engine in his 535i. The ship he got increases the max boost pressure and give additional HP/TQ. There isn't a "quick fix" like that for or naturally aspirated (non-turbo) engine.

BTW, I had a 535i before my 4GS and my tune was more like +90HP....
0-60 with 535 and 350 are identical 5.7 seconds. It seems that GS is lacking a bit in torque, but many reviews consider it to be a solid engine overall. At least in reviews this new GS F sport can to some degree compete with 535 M sport and Benz E class.
Old 09-14-15, 09:15 AM
Samer327
Driver School Candidate

Real gains can only be seen with a tune to mods have been done to the car. This allows you to extract the most power from the change in air flow.
Old 09-14-15, 01:29 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ak18
Is there any performance gained from replacing gs-f exhaust either catback or axleback other than deeper tone? HP? Torque?
Probably @ high rpm but not enough to justify the cost. Low rpm torque is what improves acceleration for street driving. I would like to find something to extend the exhaust thru the rear valance.
Old 09-14-15, 02:45 PM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

For the Lexus GS 350 adding an exhaust is going to give some improvement. Overall it adds a nice sound!!
The JoeZ exhaust will give you the best bang for you buck..

Remember guys there is no tuning a Lexus!! Period!!
Old 10-02-15, 10:58 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Probably @ high rpm but not enough to justify the cost. Low rpm torque is what improves acceleration for street driving. I would like to find something to extend the exhaust thru the rear valance.
Sorry AK18, I'm too late to save you some money.
Finally had a chance to checkout the GSF exhaust while spending some quality time underneath doing 1st oil change. I was surprised at the size of the well formed oe pipes & mufflers. Definitly don't want to go any bigger for a street car. I would remove the rear mufflers with their cute little vibration damping rubber bumpers. Drive car to listen to the exhaust as is. If it sounds good, just make new pipes to replace mufflers & come thru bumper cutouts. Practice with cheap tubing & replace with polished SS once you get it right. If that's too loud it shouldn't be to hard to find a good hi-po muffler to replace stock ones.