GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Damage - Inner Fender

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 02:17 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damage - Inner Fender

While I was driving home tonight, i rolled over something essentially ripped off part of the inner fender on the front driver's side. I think it might be a two or three piece set for the inner fender. the front section that protects some fluid tank and the headlight stuff is now gone. the top and rear pieces are damaged. I will post photos/videos tomorrow during daytime when I remove the remaining pieces (can't drive with them in).

Does anyone know how much and where I can get a new inner fender (I live in So Cal)? I'm sure the dealership will charge me an arm and a leg and it seems installing it will be easy to do. Also, I don't know if there are any differences between the various years, but I do have a 2015. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-13-15, 04:40 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

I went down to the dealership today to see if I could get an idea of how much it would cost. The inner fender is about $350 including labor. I also found out that my front bumper was also damaged on the side and that would also require replacement if I wanted everything new again. The F-Sport bumper including labor is about $1150. All together with other small parts, I'd be looking at roughly $1500 for everything from Newport Lexus.

On the way down there I took a video of what the inside looks like:

On the way home, I found a little surprise by the side of the freeway...the ripped out inner fender:

Unfortunately, repair is out of the question. All I can do is replace these parts. If anyone knows a better place in So Cal, please let me know.
Old 09-13-15, 04:58 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Damage - Inner Fender

LOL I can't believe you found the fender liner on the side of the highway. That's like something out of a movie. If you're confident in doing the repair I say replace the liner yourself. I'm sure it's nothing but a few clips and screws. Might (will) be easier if you remove the wheel. Post a pic of the bumper damage when you get a chance...

It hurts now, but your baby will be back to 100% soon.
Old 09-13-15, 05:09 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by yardie876
LOL I can't believe you found the fender liner on the side of the highway. That's like something out of a movie. If you're confident in doing the repair I say replace the liner yourself. I'm sure it's nothing but a few clips and screws. Might (will) be easier if you remove the wheel. Post a pic of the bumper damage when you get a chance...

It hurts now, but your baby will be back to 100% soon.
Well it happened right before my exit so it wasn't that surprising when I found it lol.

Here are the pics of the bumper. Unfortunately, as you can see, the clips were broken so I have no place to attach the inner fender. I couldn't get pictures of the underside, but the service advisor told me that the clips under the bumper are also broken.

You can also see that there is visible cosmetic damage...it may be small but damn it hurts

Old 09-13-15, 08:29 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Man that sucks! I also noticed from your pics that the tabs coming off the bumper are broken as well. You may have to replace the bumper to attach your liner properly.
Old 09-13-15, 11:40 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you run over bro? I can't imagine how that inner fender will come off.
And bumper cracked all bad :/

Maybe you can buy part from dealer and DIY
Old 09-14-15, 09:34 AM
Samer327
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tabs can be repaired using metal washers and jbweld.

You could also look to buy a used bumper to save some cash.
Old 09-14-15, 10:44 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

....might as well claim in on your Insurance.
Old 09-14-15, 11:34 AM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Man that sucks! I also noticed from your pics that the tabs coming off the bumper are broken as well. You may have to replace the bumper to attach your liner properly.
That's exactly what the service adviser showed me along with the piece missing off of the bottom of the bumper. It definitely has to be replaced.

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
What did you run over bro? I can't imagine how that inner fender will come off.
And bumper cracked all bad :/

Maybe you can buy part from dealer and DIY
I don't even know. I think it was big chunk of truck tire that was still on the freeway. This happened in lane 1, next to a high wall, and no lights around so it was pitch black. And we all know that the headlights on the 4GS isn't exactly the best so I didn't see it until it was too late. It's just ironic I found my inner fender on the side of the freeway, but I never could find the debris.

Originally Posted by Samer327
The tabs can be repaired using metal washers and jbweld.

You could also look to buy a used bumper to save some cash.
I may have done that if there wasn't other damage to the bumper. I was so focused on the inner fender that my eyes completely glanced over the chunk missing from the bottom of the bumper. At this point, it's time to call the insurance company instead.

Originally Posted by Bartman619
....might as well claim in on your Insurance.
Yea that's exactly what I'm going to do. I just need to figure things out and make sure the insurance company doesn't hike up my rates too badly.
Old 09-14-15, 12:15 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by djkidd
Yea that's exactly what I'm going to do. I just need to figure things out and make sure the insurance company doesn't hike up my rates too badly.
If I remember correctly, if something falls and damages your car, then it doesn't do anything to rates. If it's something you ran over, it will go up a little. I think insurance will think it should've been "avoidable" but they don't understand that in some situations, it's not...
Old 09-18-15, 01:41 PM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch. The rip in the bumper at the bottom is painful to look at. Insurance is def. your best option. This will likely be a comprehensive claim so your premium shouldn't be affected much (if at all). Much of how things go depends on your company - who are you with?

Lastly, if there's any advice I can offer, feel free to email or call: Michael@zeygerinsurance.com, 818-350-8094.

Cheers and best of luck,

- Michael
Old 09-21-15, 02:50 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

So, it'll be a comprehensive claim and its deemed out of driver's control so good news on that side.

Bad news is the estimates that I've gotten and some things that different body shops have noticed. Obviously bumper and inner fender need to be replaced. Last place I took it to also noticed some marks on the lower control arm and scratches underneath of the car. Still not sure if anything actually needs to be done. No one is ready to put the car up on the lift until I hand over the keys and leave it with them to do everything (tear down, replace, repair, etc).

Does anyone know of a Lexus dealership in SoCal that will work with insurance and also give a loaner vehicle? I've spoken to a few that are saying they can't do any body work, one says they'll do the work but won't work with any insurance company, and a couple have said they'll do the work and deal with the insurance company but won't provide a loaner.

Before you guys start asking me why I need a loaner, its because I don't have a rental car thing on my insurance policy (we used to have enough cars to not have to worry about it and it never got updated after we got rid of a couple of extra cars so now I need a loaner/rental while my 4GS is in the shop).

P.s. I'll be saving the parts that are being replaced (i.e. bumper) and posting anything that doesn't have too much damage to the classifieds section if anyone is interested. I believe they may also replace the grills and if so, this will be good stuff for an F-Sport conversion for cheap.

Last edited by djkidd; 09-21-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-21-15, 03:55 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

So, it'll be a comprehensive claim and its deemed out of driver's control so good news on that side.

Bad news is the estimates that I've gotten and some things that different body shops have noticed. Obviously bumper and inner fender need to be replaced. Last place I took it to also noticed some marks on the lower control arm and scratches underneath of the car. Still not sure if anything actually needs to be done. No one is ready to put the car up on the lift until I hand over the keys and leave it with them to do everything (tear down, replace, repair, etc).

Does anyone know of a Lexus dealership in SoCal that will work with insurance and also give a loaner vehicle? I've spoken to a few that are saying they can't do any body work, one says they'll do the work but won't work with any insurance company, and a couple have said they'll do the work and deal with the insurance company but won't provide a loaner.

Before you guys start asking me why I need a loaner, its because I don't have a rental car thing on my insurance policy (we used to have enough cars to not have to worry about it and it never got updated after we got rid of a couple of extra cars so now I need a loaner/rental while my 4GS is in the shop).

P.s. I'll be saving the parts that are being replaced (i.e. bumper) and posting anything that doesn't have too much damage to the classifieds section if anyone is interested. I believe they may also replace the grills and if so, this will be good stuff for an F-Sport conversion for cheap.
Longo Collision Center in El Monte , al though they dont give loaner they didn't give to me a 2 years ago so you might ask for a more current/accurate info. But I know if you have rental in your insurance policy there is a car rental right in their facility if I'm not mistaking its enterprise.
Old 09-21-15, 03:59 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
Longo Collision Center in El Monte , al though they dont give loaner they didn't give to me a 2 years ago so you might ask for a more current/accurate info. But I know if you have rental in your insurance policy there is a car rental right in their facility if I'm not mistaking its enterprise.
Longo is one of the ones I called that said that they won't give a loaner. And the rental car part of my policy doesn't exist for this claim. I don't get why Longo or other dealerships won't give a loaner when they're getting paid for the repair work. They'll give it for an oil change if it lasts more than 2 hours but won't for a repair work that costs over $1000 more that will take a few days? Doesn't make sense...
Old 09-21-15, 11:14 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Longo is one of the ones I called that said that they won't give a loaner. And the rental car part of my policy doesn't exist for this claim. I don't get why Longo or other dealerships won't give a loaner when they're getting paid for the repair work. They'll give it for an oil change if it lasts more than 2 hours but won't for a repair work that costs over $1000 more that will take a few days? Doesn't make sense...
I got you a 1 day free rental

(http://www.longotoyota.com/specials/bodyshop.htm)

Quick Reply: Damage - Inner Fender