GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

XM Nav Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 11:55 AM
bellamonie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Nav Traffic

After months of hesitating, I finally decided to apply for the XM Traffic option for the car's GPS through the XM radio package. However when I access this through the GPS, I only see two buttons, the car's fuel consumption history and the traffic button. When I search through the car's manual, I see more buttons on their screen than on mine. Example: the weather and sports buttons are not there. Does this mean my car does not have access to all these options when I enlist for Nav Traffic through XM radio?
Old 09-29-15, 12:39 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you have a smartphone? For weather and sports, it's a better choice, IMHO.
Old 09-29-15, 12:53 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

XM has the services broken up into tiny pieces. There's the big all you can eat buffet, with a huge price tag attached, or itty bitty pieces like traffic data, sports updates, etc. Sounds like you just paid for traffic, which provides an overlay for major highways. It stinks in Dallas because it is always 10 to 15 minutes late, and traffic can change in an instant. The Inrix app on my phone is 100% better. The only reason I keep it is because it's accurate with construction zones so I can plan trips around it.

The weather piece is counter-intuitive to use and takes way too many button presses. Want local weather? Hit forecast on the map then get taken to a screen where you pick a city. What? Yep.

Sports data is ok for stoplight boredom, especially if it's in season. Stock data, same, but quotes aren't very timely (and it tells you that every...single...time you open that up).

Overall, the quality of the XM services is low and the price is astronomical. I only renew the nav and some data pieces, until XM sneaks in a $57 bill when I'm not looking and signs me up for more stuff. Worst billing ever. I really envy 2015 owners that have HDRadio supplying alot of that data for free.
Old 09-29-15, 02:31 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm going to let my Sirius XM Traffic run it's course and not renew it.

I'm beginning to like using the WAZE GPS app more frequently and it's free.

Last edited by islandbeef; 09-29-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 03:20 PM
bellamoni
Driver School Candidate

Therefore, does this mean that if I am not registered for, let's say, the Weather Nav, that this button will not show up on the GPS screen?
Old 09-30-15, 09:42 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

U can only see the traffic when ur on the Nav (map) screen, it's not a stand alone app like weather, sports, and stocks. U can enable the free flowing traffic to show the green color on the map if there is no traffic, it is off by default I think. Maybe u need to resend the activation signal to the car?
Old 10-17-15, 09:00 PM
oakcircle
Driver School Candidate

I've just purchased a 2013 GS 350 and have some questions related to XM Nav Traffic and Nav Weather.
I have subscribed to the service and have turned on "show free flowing traffic", but my map never shows green, red, and yellow arrows for traffic flow. Should the arrows show all of the time or only when there is a destination entered? Also, the traffic and weather icon on my map's home screen is not active. The XM rep says there's a problem with my nav system because I can access the list of traffic incidents and can see the weather. Does this sound like the problem?

BTW, my wife's 2012 SRX has a subscription to Nav Traffic and it works great.

One other question. Is there a voice command to cancel a navigation destination?
Thank you for any info you can provide.
Old 10-17-15, 11:28 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by oakcircle
I've just purchased a 2013 GS 350 and have some questions related to XM Nav Traffic and Nav Weather.
I have subscribed to the service and have turned on "show free flowing traffic", but my map never shows green, red, and yellow arrows for traffic flow. Should the arrows show all of the time or only when there is a destination entered? Also, the traffic and weather icon on my map's home screen is not active. The XM rep says there's a problem with my nav system because I can access the list of traffic incidents and can see the weather. Does this sound like the problem?

BTW, my wife's 2012 SRX has a subscription to Nav Traffic and it works great.

One other question. Is there a voice command to cancel a navigation destination?
Thank you for any info you can provide.
The traffic flow info is limited mainly to major highways. If you are using major highways, have the traffic info option switched on, and still don't see anything, it might be worth a trip to the dealer.

Unfortunately when I had my 2013 model, I don't remember it having voice command to cancel navigation. Luckily, the 2015 had the voice command of "delete destination" and it would cancel route guidance.
Old 10-18-15, 04:52 AM
bellamonie
Driver School Candidate

Same here. Colored arrows will appear depending on what highway I'm on. I've had it for 1 month and like it very much. Driving diwn to Florida on I95 and Nav told me of highway shut diwn and did I want to re-route to which I clicked on yes. The re-route route was the same one thst all dtivers were bring re-routed. But that's as far as the detour signs appeared. My Nav guided me around the traffic and back on to my original route.
Old 10-18-15, 06:35 AM
oakcircle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your responses. I'll drop by he dealership and see what they say.