GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I've had my GS450h for a week.. so many stupid things have some up.. question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15 | 01:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Prinny
Update on the key fob issue. No other key fob was found or came with the car when they bought it from the auction, but the lady that I was talking to seems like they'd be willing to pay for another key fob plus the cost of programming and cutting. The only dealership that's willing to do it that's by my parent's house is charging $60 for programming and $75 for cutting a new key. Then a used virgin key fob online is like $100 or so or a brand new one is like $225 or something.

I wouldn't mind if they did that cause then I can just leave the other key fob somewhere and use it as a spare.
That says a lot...the car was sold at auction... You bought a car sight-unseen from a third-party 3,000 miles away that was sold at auction. That's just asking for trouble!

Actually got the car from Florida lol. The dealership's called "Off Lease Only" maybe you've heard of it?

It was a lot cheaper than going to an actual Lexus dealer :/.. the only Lexus dealer (that I could drive to) that had the used car for sale was asking for 44k out the door lol.
I guess so!
Old 10-01-15 | 02:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.. I kept telling myself that too.. never would have thought i'd buy a car out of state.. Been waiting for a while and I got too impatient.

They had a few GS450hs in stock. The one I picked seemed like the best out of them because the other two were corporate cars and one of them had been in a previous accident. This one had the least extra features, but it was a personal lease and from the Carfax and Lexus service records; it was serviced routinely and didn't have any major problems. Has some minor scratches and paint chips here and there, but I had already expected that.

If they come through then it was worth the gamble. I'll post pics this weekend!
Got any idea why the Lexus dealership that leased the car didn't want to keep it when it was returned (and CPO it) and sell it from their own lot?

Things are not making a lot of sense...
Old 10-01-15 | 02:11 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
That says a lot...the car was sold at auction... You bought a car sight-unseen from a third-party 3,000 miles away that was sold at auction. That's just asking for trouble!

I guess so!
Yeahhhh.... but that's what they do usually when a lease expires right? The car gets auctioned off?

The service records look like it's been kept up to date and clean and mechanically the car runs fine with no issues. If everything works out.. then it'll be worth it. I got the car for a bit over $37k including shipping. It's not an old car and it's still under warranty so chances are in my favor that it'll turn out ok. eh saving at the very least a few thousand
Old 10-01-15 | 02:13 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

you saved 7K, and got it for 37k, thats pretty good actually

especially for an H
Old 10-01-15 | 02:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

but that's what they do usually when a lease expires right? The car gets auctioned off?
I'd say nearly all lease returns are CPO'ed and sold by a Lexus dealership. Unless the car cannot pass CPO, or has some other reason why the dealership does not want to be associated with a particular car. To my knowledge, very few Lexus lease returns are auctioned off.
Old 10-01-15 | 02:28 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Got any idea why the Lexus dealership that leased the car didn't want to keep it when it was returned (and CPO it) and sell it from their own lot?

Things are not making a lot of sense...

No idea. The last service report before it was sold to auction was that the car had to have the 12v battery charged. This was at 28k miles. at 27.7k the guy had hit a pothole and bent the wheel. The dealership repaired it and what not and sent him on his way.

The car was leased from a Lexus dealership at New Jersey and all the services were done there for a while and then the last service that was done was done at a Lexus dealership in Tennessee.

I'd say nearly all lease returns are CPO'ed and sold by a Lexus dealership. Unless the car cannot pass CPO, or has some other reason why the dealership does not want to be associated with a particular car. To my knowledge, very few Lexus lease returns are auctioned off.
hmmm I did not know that
Old 10-01-15 | 02:31 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MEAHT
you saved 7K, and got it for 37k, thats pretty good actually

especially for an H

A good price yeah. There were other cars at a higher price from different dealerships (none were CPO) that I was looking at. This just happened to be the cheapest by a pretty good amount.
Old 10-01-15 | 02:45 PM
jkeller
Advanced

That bothers me too. I will say for the key, get at least 1 "real" key fob from a Lexus dealer. Yeah yeah, I know you can get one from eBay or a locksmith, but who knows where your eBay special is made? China? Maybe it works for a year then craps out on you. It can cost a small fortune to pair a new key fob when you don't have working fob in your possession. Pics when you can please! GS350H's are like unicorns, don't see um very often.
Old 10-01-15 | 02:51 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkeller
That bothers me too. I will say for the key, get at least 1 "real" key fob from a Lexus dealer. Yeah yeah, I know you can get one from eBay or a locksmith, but who knows where your eBay special is made? China? Maybe it works for a year then craps out on you. It can cost a small fortune to pair a new key fob when you don't have working fob in your possession. Pics when you can please! GS350H's are like unicorns, don't see um very often.
That bothers me too... a bit worried hmm.. Also on the key fob depends on if the dealership is willing to pay for it. I think the dealership charges $300 or so for a new key fob and I'm not sure if that include programming and cutting it. I'm most likely going to end up with 3 key fobs. I've had bad experiences with leaving my keys in the car. Always good to have back ups.

I think there are supposedly only around 1,000 GS450H's in the US lol so a bit rare. I won't forget about the pics haha
Old 10-01-15 | 03:06 PM
jkeller
Advanced

You can't lock your keys in this car, it won't let you. I'm out of town at a hotel. Had my fob in my pants pocket, changed into some shorts, walked out to the car carrying my pants with the key still in the pocket, used the trunk button to open the trunk, put my pants in and closed the trunk. Oh !@#$, my car is locked and my fob is in my pants pocket in the now closed trunk and I'm out of town and don't have the other fob. Pushed the trunk lid button and thankfully it opened.
Old 10-01-15 | 03:10 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkeller
You can't lock your keys in this car, it won't let you. I'm out of town at a hotel. Had my fob in my pants pocket, changed into some shorts, walked out to the car carrying my pants with the key still in the pocket, used the trunk button to open the trunk, put my pants in and closed the trunk. Oh !@#$, my car is locked and my fob is in my pants pocket in the now closed trunk and I'm out of town and don't have the other fob. Pushed the trunk lid button and thankfully it opened.

Sounds like a close call haha. Yeah, the last car that I had was a 2003 G35. So everything is pretty new to me.
Old 10-01-15 | 03:19 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Hmm they're willing to contribute $250 for the key fob. I suppose that's enough. I'll get nicer virgin one from eBay and have it programmed and cut.
Old 10-01-15 | 03:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm they're willing to contribute $250 for the key fob. I suppose that's enough. I'll get nicer virgin one from eBay and have it programmed and cut.
Why wouldn't they furnish you with two brand new Lexus OEM key FOBs? It was supposed to come with two (2) Lexus key FOBs. What happened to them? Where are they?
Old 10-01-15 | 03:26 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Why wouldn't they furnish you with two brand new Lexus OEM key FOBs? It was supposed to come with two (2) Lexus key FOBs. What happened to them? Where are they?
I asked about that before and they said that when they got the car from the auction, it only came with one key fob. When I was talking to the lady before, she was saying how it'd be too expensive to get a brand new key fob from the dealer
Old 10-01-15 | 03:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I asked about that before and they said that when they got the car from the auction, it only came with one key fob. When I was talking to the lady before, she was saying how it'd be too expensive to get a brand new key fob from the dealer
That's not good, but understandable when buying an auctioned-off car from a third-party seller.

Doesn't it make you wonder what else you'll find out about this car over-time? It most definitely would me...

Quick Reply: I've had my GS450h for a week.. so many stupid things have some up.. question?