GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Type of oil and filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 09:50 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Type of oil and filter?

Not sure if the 4th gens are that much different from the 3rd gens, but is 0w20 is MUST or have people used like 5w20 also I'm just curious what type of oil and filter brands that you guys use.

I've always used Castrol synthetic for my cars before this one. Used to use Mobile 1, but after their got cheap and changed up their formula so it's not true full synthetic I haven't touched their oil since.

Filters I've always just stayed away from FRAM, but everything else should be fair game?

oh also is it still 6.5 quarts?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-15, 10:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Any brand of 0W-20 synthetic engine oil you like will satisfy the Lexus recommendation. However, this is the 'line' from Lexus/Toyota: 'Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 utilizes a Toyota-specific additive package that will provide the best results for oil performance and fuel economy - it's what the engine was designed to use. However, other 0W-20 synthetic oils can be used, even though they aren't optimized for Toyota engines.'
Old 10-01-15, 11:04 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Any brand of 0W-20 synthetic engine oil you like will satisfy the Lexus recommendation. However, this is the 'line' from Lexus/Toyota: 'Genuine Toyota Motor Oil 0W-20 utilizes a Toyota-specific additive package that will provide the best results for oil performance and fuel economy - it's what the engine was designed to use. However, other 0W-20 synthetic oils can be used, even though they aren't optimized for Toyota engines.'

Is Toyota Motor oil synthetic or just dino oil? Changing the oil every 5k is a bit of a pain.
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (10-20-21)
Old 10-01-15, 12:29 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree ..... I use TGMO 0-20, the base is made by Mobil1 and the Toyota Lubrication pack is added to complete the package. Excellent oil.
Old 10-01-15, 12:34 PM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by Prinny
Is Toyota Motor oil synthetic or just dino oil? Changing the oil every 5k is a bit of a pain.
Synthetic, to the best of my knowledge, all 0-20's are.
As soon as your able, you need to sit down and study your manual.
The GS is on a 10k oil change interval.
Old 10-01-15, 12:40 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MH6
Synthetic, to the best of my knowledge, all 0-20's are.
As soon as your able, you need to sit down and study your manual.
The GS is on a 10k oil change interval.

Glove box is locked until I can get a new key cut , but I guess I can download the pdf online in a bit, but thanks though that helps.
Old 10-01-15, 12:48 PM
MH6
Driver

Glove box is locked until I can get a new key cut , but I guess I can download the pdf online in a bit, but thanks though that helps.
Oh man, forgot about that.
Hopefully once you get everything sorted, you will be able to study and enjoy your car.
Old 10-01-15, 12:54 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MH6
Oh man, forgot about that.
Hopefully once you get everything sorted, you will be able to study and enjoy your car.
Yeah... lots of headaches -___- all I want to do is to sit back and enjoy the car haha. Just skimmed through BITOG. Totally forgot about that site, but okay Toyota 0w-20 it is lol.
Old 10-01-15, 01:03 PM
MH6
Driver

Yeah... lots of headaches -___- all I want to do is to sit back and enjoy the car haha. Just skimmed through BITOG. Totally forgot about that site, but okay Toyota 0w-20 it is lol.
yep, great forums over there.
Old 10-01-15, 02:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

All 0W-20 engine oil is synthetic oil.

By the way, do not use 5W-20 engine oil, because Lexus recommends (that if you do) that the 5W-20 engine oil must be replaced in 5,000 miles with the correct 0W-20 engine oil.
Old 10-01-15, 02:56 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

By the way, do not use 5W-20 engine oil, because Lexus recommends (that if you do) that the 5W-20 engine oil must be replaced in 5,000 miles with the correct 0W-20 engine oil.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll probably grab some today or tomorrow and get everything done on Saturday.
Old 10-01-15, 04:22 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

If there is a dealer near you, then I would just 1 stop take care of it all and get the filter and oil there. And don't forget the oil drain plug crush washer. They are about a buck each or 5 bucks if you buy a package of 10. If you are going to use Mobil 1, then its hard to beat wally world prices on oil.
Old 10-01-15, 08:23 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkeller
If there is a dealer near you, then I would just 1 stop take care of it all and get the filter and oil there. And don't forget the oil drain plug crush washer. They are about a buck each or 5 bucks if you buy a package of 10. If you are going to use Mobil 1, then its hard to beat wally world prices on oil.
ooo almost forgot about those. I'll grab those too thanks!
Old 10-02-15, 09:56 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Do they explain why?
Old 10-02-15, 10:18 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Do they explain why?
No, I've seen no explanation in writing why they want the 5W-20 replaced after only 5,000 miles. However, since 0W engine oil flows quicker to the top of the engine to reduce cold-start (dry) engine [friction] wear I can only assume that they want to get the 5W engine oil out of the engine in no more than half the normal time (mileage) to prevent unwarranted engine wear that takes place at initial engine startup.

I've been using 0W engine oil since it first came out many years ago. It has excellent flow qualities at initial engine startup when dry/cold regardless of ambient temperature (-0 degree to 100F+). That's really all the first number means (and does)... The second number (20, 30, etc.) relates to the oil thickness at 100 degree C (212 degree F), which is the typical normal engine operating temperature of the engine oil when the engine is fully warmed up. What used to be 40 weight or 30 weight (for the second number) has now been reduced to 20 weight to not only save energy and increase fuel mileage, but car makers have reduced the clearance of the engine bearings to allow this thinner (second number) engine oil to fully protect against metal-on-metal contact. Plus, this type of engine oil is synthetic now (in lieu of the old dinosaur oil), so the synthetic oil lubricates far better and provides much longer protection than ever before.

Quick Reply: Type of oil and filter?