GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

When's the last time you checked or changed your Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15 | 06:15 AM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Originally Posted by Prinny
Do you just buy the filters from the dealership or can I just go to my local pepboys or autozone and those will do just fine? Just wondering cause looking for the best bang for your buck. I'm assuming the cabin air filter doesn't really matter.
If your Lexus is still under warranty I would try getting them for free at a local Lexus Dealer. I contacted my Dealer and they are sending me a Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter for free. I am having mine sent to me because me Dealer is like an hour away from me.
Old 10-07-15 | 06:41 AM
MH6
Driver

For free under warranty ??
First that I have heard of those particular items free under warranty.
I have had things shipped to me for free, but not maintenance items, interesting.
I suggested that in a earlier post because he just bought the car and they had not done what they should have.

Last edited by MH6; 10-07-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-07-15 | 06:43 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexLuthors
If your Lexus is still under warranty I would try getting them for free at a local Lexus Dealer. I contacted my Dealer and they are sending me a Air Filter and Cabin Air Filter for free. I am having mine sent to me because me Dealer is like an hour away from me.
How is your car's warranty covering a routine maintenance expense such a cabin filter and/or your engine air intake filter?

You have some dealer!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 10-07-15 | 06:48 AM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
How is your car's warranty covering a routine maintenance expense such a cabin filter and/or your engine air intake filter?

You have some dealer!

~ Im2bz2p345
I agree
Old 10-07-15 | 08:44 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Dammit. I should have asked when I dropped it off for a recall yesterday :/.. I'll ask for one when I pick it up within the next few days. I doubt that the air filter and cabin air filter has been changed for a while, but I also doubt that they'll give it to me for free lol.

I know the air filter is easy, but are there any tutorials on how to change the cabin filter?

Thanks
Old 10-07-15 | 12:27 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Default should be changed

every 12k to 15k
12k in dusty environments 15k for normal
if you replace it for 24$ every 15k you will get the money back in gas savings its a no brainer
Old 10-08-15 | 07:35 AM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Originally Posted by MH6
For free under warranty ??
First that I have heard of those particular items free under warranty.
I have had things shipped to me for free, but not maintenance items, interesting.
I suggested that in a earlier post because he just bought the car and they had not done what they should have.
I bought the car last month and checked the Filters a couple weeks later. I found them to be pretty dirty so I called them up and asked if they could send me these filters and they are on there way now. So maybe it is because its a new car purchase but it still never hurts to ask, you'd be amazed what you can get for just asking. Its all about customer service
Old 10-08-15 | 01:16 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

The fact that it was a CPO car, it should have been checked/changed already. That is why they aren't giving you any trouble with the free replacements. Now the next time they need changed, let us know how they treat you...
Old 10-08-15 | 02:32 PM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Originally Posted by puffdaddy
The fact that it was a CPO car, it should have been checked/changed already. That is why they aren't giving you any trouble with the free replacements. Now the next time they need changed, let us know how they treat you...
I surely will puffdaddy.
Old 10-10-15 | 01:35 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

I thought about a K&N Air Filter, then read a lot of stories where the oil from the filter gets into the system and messes up the sensor. Probs just gonna stick with with an OEM filter.
Safe to stick with OEM. I know Nissan has traditionally had problems with MAF sensors getting dirty from intake, especially oiled filters. Haven't wrenched on anything for a while so I don't know what Toyota has implemented for this sensor or where it sits.
Old 10-10-15 | 10:06 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Dammit. I should have asked when I dropped it off for a recall yesterday :/.. I'll ask for one when I pick it up within the next few days. I doubt that the air filter and cabin air filter has been changed for a while, but I also doubt that they'll give it to me for free lol.

I know the air filter is easy, but are there any tutorials on how to change the cabin filter?

Thanks
The Cabin filter is even easier to change. Make SURE your CC system in on Recirc air (important for some reason). Open the glove box, open the cover of the filter and remove filter tray.
Oh make sure you look at the arrows on the filter so you know which way it should be pointed when you put the new one in
Old 10-12-15 | 09:59 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99alta
The Cabin filter is even easier to change. Make SURE your CC system in on Recirc air (important for some reason). Open the glove box, open the cover of the filter and remove filter tray.
Oh make sure you look at the arrows on the filter so you know which way it should be pointed when you put the new one in

Yeah I kind of facepalmed after I opened my glove box and realized that it's RIGHT THERE lol.. took me like a few minutes to replace both cabin and engine air filter. Simple and easy
Old 10-13-15 | 07:47 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I kind of facepalmed after I opened my glove box and realized that it's RIGHT THERE lol.. took me like a few minutes to replace both cabin and engine air filter. Simple and easy
Just make sure u match the arrows on the filter cause installing it backwards will actually let all the dust in instead of filtering it.

I kid.
Old 10-13-15 | 08:39 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

hahah that wouldn't make much sense
Old 10-13-15 | 10:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Don't let your cabin air filter be like this!

Source of above picture.

Quick Reply: When's the last time you checked or changed your Air Filter?