GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Preferred Synthetic Oil Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 10:31 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
I just sold my last Lexus - it was a 2003 GS430 with 120,000 miles. It did not burn or leak a drop of oil, even though it was 14 years old. In fact, I have NEVER had a Toyota vehicle burn or leak oil, and I have now owned about 12 Toyota and Lexus models. From my perspective, it's not an issue with Lexi or Toyotas in general.
I just sold a 2001 GS430 w 190k. It burned a little oil, and it had a tiny leak from one of the head gaskets.
Old 10-22-18, 06:39 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ncatona
I prefer pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30. It is really clean and since its made from natural gas it won't sludge up. Its really good stuff, buy it from 0walmart online because it is way cheaper and you never find the ultra platinum bottles in store because they go like crazy!
0w20 is recommended not 5w30
Old 10-22-18, 07:13 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

0W-20 is recommended to fit every climate condition the car could be in. If you live in the south you dont need such a thin oil. Someone from Cali doesnt need 0W-20 and can go a little thicker. Thin oil in a warmer climate doesnt protect as well
Old 10-23-18, 12:35 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrdonta
Toyota oil, Penzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 0w-20 but do stay away from Penzoil Ultra Platinum and/or Mobil 1 Extended Performance. My car throttle response was like Buick/Prius when I used Penzoil Ultra Platinum and/or Mobil 1 Extended Performance since they may give you more protection with longer mileage but definitely you will lose the punch of the engine offer based on my own experience and it drove me crazy to figure out what is wrong. Just sharing my own experience.
You obviously have not driven many Buicks, certainly none like I have. Beyond that, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that any oil of the proper weight & grade affected your throttle response.
Old 10-23-18, 01:43 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
there is NO WAY ON EARTH that any oil of the proper weight & grade affected your throttle response.

The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (10-23-18)
Old 10-24-18, 08:40 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Honestly ive been using toyota filters and oil for my last few changes, 5k miles oci, but ive been considering switching to amsoil signature series and doubling my oil change interval so i dont have to get under the car as much. I also beleive it may be a better oil AND its a thick 20 weight so may offer better protection in the few hot months we get up here in canadia. But if i do use amsoil ill prolly switch to the TRD oil filters, they look well constructed, kinda curious about the filtering efficiency and flowrates compared to regular oem.

Last edited by GSRockstar; 10-25-18 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Talk to text made way too many mistakes and i sound like a half wit
Old 10-25-18, 06:59 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
You obviously have not driven many Buicks, certainly none like I have. Beyond that, there is NO WAY ON EARTH that any oil of the proper weight & grade affected your throttle response.
Snake oil will greatly affect your car's throttle response and gas mileage. LOL
Old 10-25-18, 07:40 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Snake oil will greatly affect your car's throttle response and gas mileage. LOL
Snake oil will turn around and bite you.
The following users liked this post:
praetor (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 07:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LC engine is the same but uses 5W-30, you can find mobil 1, pennzoil ultra, castrol edge synthetic all day at walmart for under $25/5qt, and there are rebates floating around so you can get it for under $15 after rebate. I always buy a bunch of 5W-30 since i have to maintain the family fleet and I use that oil in pretty much every car.
Old 10-25-18, 10:46 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

TGMO 0W20. It's the factory fill and should be good for 10K changes.
Old 10-25-18, 11:27 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Amazon Basics Full Synthetic 0w20 Amazon Basics Full Synthetic 0w20

It's $1.40 cheaper than what it probably actually is...because that's what Amazon Basics does.
Old 11-05-18, 06:39 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

In Hong Kong here....Ambient air temperature from 8 - 42 Celcius (46 - 110 F).....recommended oil for this temp is 5w-20 but all the shell and mobil only do 5w-30......anyone from southern US go with 5w-30 on their GS?

i had a RX300 that i did 5w30 for 8 years...but a different engine so thought i would be careful and ask....i did a search but most people just keep going on about 0w-20.
Old 11-05-18, 07:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

The first number (e.g. 0W or 5W) is pertaining to the weight of the oil when cold, such as when the engine is first cold-crank started. At cold crank-up is when you want the oil to flow quickly throughout the engine to prevent metal-on-metal contact. The thicker the oil, the more time it takes to flow. The second number (e.g. 20 or 30) is pertaining to the weight of the oil at typical operating temperature of 100°C (212°F). Modern engines are designed to operate with a second number of 20 weight oil in any cold or heat on Plant Earth without a problem.

What most people do not realize is that 20, 30 or even 50 weight (second number) oil at the typical engine operating temperature of 100°C (212°F) is thinner and flows faster than 0W (first number) oil on even a warm 100°F day. Compare pouring 0W-20 oil from its container into a crankcase on a warm summer day to draining 50 weight engine oil from a hot crankcase. The hot 50 weight oil flows better than the room temperature 0W oil. If you want to cause needless wear to your engine use an engine oil that has a first number higher than 0W. And, the colder it gets in your location the more damage it will cause.

The bottom line is this - use the lightest first number (0W) to get the oil flowing when the engine is first cranked-up to prevent metal-on-metal engine wear damage. In other words, 0W is better than 5W. (See video below) And, of course using the recommended second number (20) will take care of lubricating the engine at the typical operating temperature of 100°C (212°F) regardless of the ambient temperature you have anywhere on the planet.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-06-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-06-18, 06:56 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
0W-20 is recommended to fit every climate condition the car could be in. If you live in the south you dont need such a thin oil. Someone from Cali doesnt need 0W-20 and can go a little thicker. Thin oil in a warmer climate doesnt protect as well
Im not sure i agree with this statement, its complicated. An oil that thins out alot will make you lose oil pressure BUT TGMO has a super high viscosity index (between 215 and 230) which means it wont thin out when it gets hot, most oils dont have an index this high so i think 0w20 tgmo would be fine wherever you are. You have to look at the KV values at 40 and 100 to determine that kind of stuff
Old 11-06-18, 07:07 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
The first number (e.g. 0W or 5W) is pertaining to the weight of the oil when cold, such as when the engine is first cold-crank started. At cold crank-up is when you want the oil to flow quickly throughout the engine to prevent metal-on-metal contact. The thicker the oil, the more time it takes to flow. The second number (e.g. 20 or 30) is pertaining to the weight of the oil at typical operating temperature of 100°C (212°F). Modern engines are designed to operate with a second number of 20 weight oil in any cold or heat on Plant Earth without a problem.

What most people do not realize is that 20, 30 or even 50 weight (second number) oil at the typical engine operating temperature of 100°C (212°F) is thinner and flows faster than 0W (first number) oil on even a warm 100°F day. Compare pouring 0W-20 oil from its container into a crankcase on a warm summer day to draining 50 weight engine oil from a hot crankcase. The hot 50 weight oil flows better than the room temperature 0W oil. If you want to cause needless wear to your engine use an engine oil that has a first number higher than 0W. And, the colder it gets in your location the more damage it will cause.

The bottom line is this - use the lightest first number (0W) to get the oil flowing when the engine is first cranked-up to prevent metal-on-metal engine wear damage. In other words, 0W is better than 5W. (See video below) And, of course using the recommended second number (20) will take care of lubricating the engine at the typical operating temperature of 100°C (212°F) regardless of the ambient temperature you have anywhere on the planet.

https://youtu.be/aMr7XxitOkg
Originally Posted by GSRockstar

Im not sure i agree with this statement, its complicated. An oil that thins out alot will make you lose oil pressure BUT TGMO has a super high viscosity index (between 215 and 230) which means it wont thin out when it gets hot, most oils dont have an index this high so i think 0w20 tgmo would be fine wherever you are. You have to look at the KV values at 40 and 100 to determine that kind of stuff

Thank you guys....i will try and find 0w-20 in hong kong...the only option i have is probably Shell Helix Ultra or Total from France.....both of them pre-order.

Quick Reply: Preferred Synthetic Oil Choice?