GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Aftermarket Wheels and Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 10:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I believe all Discount Tire stores have the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancing machine.

If you lived in Dallas (near Plano) I could recommend a place (and person) for an alignment.
Yes you are correct. Discount tire does have the Hunter Road Force balance machine. The store I called told me they charge extra for road force balance. Is this true? Have you ever experienced them charging for it? They said it was $10 a wheel.

I'm just outside Houston so Plano would be too far, plus I don't know or have any family near by. Closest relative to plano is in San Antonio.
Old 10-26-15, 11:04 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO

Then I found another local shop in Burbank through Yelp and he only charge $65 and this guy was able to fix the pulling problem and center my steering wheel!! Car is dead straight now at any speed and everything is within specs too. He must have a really good alignment machine and knows what he's doing. I had been counter steering for over a year and man it feels really good when u let go of the wheel and the car rolls straight.
Hi,

Can you share the info of this shop. I might needs to take my wife GS there.

Thanks
Old 10-27-15, 07:18 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Yes you are correct. Discount tire does have the Hunter Road Force balance machine. The store I called told me they charge extra for road force balance. Is this true? Have you ever experienced them charging for it? They said it was $10 a wheel.

I'm just outside Houston so Plano would be too far, plus I don't know or have any family near by. Closest relative to plano is in San Antonio.
Here around Dallas Discount Tire charges $5 extra to 'Road Force' balance a tire/wheel. However, I've had them do it at no charge when buying tires. I'm surprised your local Discount Tire store charges $10 per tire/wheel. Maybe you should call one or two other Discount Tire locations to see what they charge.
Old 10-27-15, 08:06 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Here around Dallas Discount Tire charges $5 extra to 'Road Force' balance a tire/wheel. However, I've had them do it at no charge when buying tires. I'm surprised your local Discount Tire store charges $10 per tire/wheel. Maybe you should call one or two other Discount Tire locations to see what they charge.
I was surprised to hear it as well. I thought that since I bought new tires from them they would provide that service for free but I was wrong. Here are pics of my rear wheels. They both are slightly slanted and I'm sure over time I will have excessive inner wear. That's why I was asking about camber and all. I wonder if anyone else with Vossens is experiencing this and how it can be corrected.

Last edited by Sevn86; 10-27-15 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Update Pics
Old 10-28-15, 07:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

From the pictures you provided the rear wheels sure appear to have a significant negative camber.

I don't recall - is your car lowered? If so, see illustration below...

Old 10-28-15, 12:31 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

From the pictures you provided the rear wheels sure appear to have a significant negative camber.

I don't recall - is your car lowered? If so, see illustration below...

I'm glad you were able to see the negative camber because in person it's more noticeable then in the pictures I posted. Do you know if this can be fixed or adjusted? My car should be stock height as I never lowered it. Speaking of lowering, my family noticed the same thing the last time we parked next to a 4GS. Immediately they said why is our car so low compared to this one? I was like good question, idk. At that time I didn't even have my aftermarket wheels on. I wonder if the previous owner had modified the suspension.
Old 10-28-15, 12:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad you were able to see the negative camber because in person it's more noticeable then in the pictures I posted. Do you know if this can be fixed or adjusted? My car should be stock height as I never lowered it. Speaking of lowering, my family noticed the same thing the last time we parked next to a 4GS. Immediately they said why is our car so low compared to this one? I was like good question, idk. At that time I didn't even have my aftermarket wheels on. I wonder if the previous owner had modified the suspension.
Yes, it should be able to be adjusted to within factory specs.

I [too] wonder if the previous owner had modified the suspension. Was this a CPO purchase? If so, you have good reason to complain...and have the Lexus dealership you bought it from to fix it at no charge.
Old 10-28-15, 02:24 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Yes, it should be able to be adjusted to within factory specs.

I [too] wonder if the previous owner had modified the suspension. Was this a CPO purchase? If so, you have good reason to complain...and have the Lexus dealership you bought it from to fix it at no charge.
I bought it from a reputable used car dealer (Texas Direct Auto) but not Lexus so it's not a CPO. As long as adjustments can be made, I don't mind paying to have it corrected. Last thing I want is having uneven wear on my rear tires.
Old 10-28-15, 02:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I bought it from a reputable used car dealer (Texas Direct Auto) but not Lexus so it's not a CPO. As long as adjustments can be made, I don't mind paying to have it corrected. Last thing I want is having uneven wear on my rear tires.
Buying a CPO has many advantages, but...

I suspect the so-called 'reputable' used car dealer had no clue, and did not care, if the car had been modified. That said, if you [do] learn the previous owner lowered the car and possibly modified anything else (suspension related) I would ask/search around your area to find an experienced (and reputable) alignment guy that can deal with lowered suspensions to see if he can give the car a decent alignment.
Old 10-28-15, 02:45 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking you're lowered...if that's the case, you may need adj camber arms.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SPC-Performance-Camber-Adjustment-Kit-Rear-13-15-Lexus-GS350-14-15-Lexus-IS250-/221773262432?nav=SEARCH
Old 10-28-15, 02:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSTG
I'm thinking you're lowered...if that's the case, you may need adj camber arms.

SPC Performance Camber Adjustment Kit Rear 13 15 Lexus gs350 14 15 Lexus IS250 | eBay
A set or good quality rear adjustable camber arms will probably run $150 - $200 or more plus installation cost. They usually offer ±3.0° camber adjustment. By the looks of the picture 3.0° may not be enough...and something with greater adjustment may be needed.
Old 10-28-15, 06:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Sevn86 - Have you looked at your car's springs and other related suspension parts to see if they are aftermarket parts or stock OEM?
Old 10-28-15, 07:04 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Buying a CPO has many advantages, but...

I suspect the so-called 'reputable' used car dealer had no clue, and did not care, if the car had been modified. That said, if you [do] learn the previous owner lowered the car and possibly modified anything else (suspension related) I would ask/search around your area to find an experienced (and reputable) alignment guy that can deal with lowered suspensions to see if he can give the car a decent alignment.
Yeah I agree. I now wish I had purchased a CPO or that other F sport I had originally gone in to get. Too late now.
Old 10-28-15, 07:08 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Sevn86 - Have you looked at your car's springs and other related suspension parts to see if they are aftermarket parts or stock OEM?
From what I can see everything seems stock. I will try and get pics after work tomorrow. Would you be able to see from the pics I post if things seem stock to you? Also thank you so much for you help so far, really appreciate it
Old 10-28-15, 07:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

From what I can see everything seems stock. I will try and get pics after work tomorrow. Would you be able to see from the pics I post if things seem stock to you? Also thank you so much for you help so far, really appreciate it
Look at the springs. Are they some color other than black (red, blue, yellow, green, purple, etc.)? If they are black in color, look carefully for an aftermarket manufacturer's label on them that says (for example) RS-R. You say your car looks lowered - I have not seen a picture of the car from the side, which maybe one can tell with certainty. The car cannot be lowered unless the stock springs have been changed.

[Edit]: I found pictures you posted of the car HERE and the car does not look (to me) to be lowered. Also, the rear wheels look (the best I can tell) to have proper camber unlike now. Which begs the question - do you think the guy that tried to align your car after you put on aftermarket wheels possibly messed-up the alignment?

Last edited by bclexus; 10-28-15 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and Alignment