GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hmmmmm Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 09:11 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've broken this rule too many times, but anybody who ives in CA or any other potential earthquake zone should really never go below 1/4 of a tank. I only mention this because it's amazing how many people have never thought about it.
Old 10-31-15, 09:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
I've broken this rule too many times, but anybody who lives in CA or any other potential earthquake zone should really never go below 1/4 of a tank. I only mention this because it's amazing how many people have never thought about it.
The reason this is important (having ample gasoline to travel significant mileage or to run the engine for an extended number of hours) is not just for potential earthquake zone areas of the country, but also for any number of other reasons (e.g. widespread power outage, snow storm/blizzard, floods, meteorite impact, nuclear & radiation accident, acts of war, etc., etc.). There is nothing really negative about having too much gasoline in the tank, but having too little gasoline at the wrong time could be a huge problem.
Old 10-31-15, 06:58 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The reason this is important (having ample gasoline to travel significant mileage or to run the engine for an extended number of hours) is not just for potential earthquake zone areas of the country, but also for any number of other reasons (e.g. widespread power outage, snow storm/blizzard, floods, meteorite impact, nuclear & radiation accident, acts of war, etc., etc.). There is nothing really negative about having too much gasoline in the tank, but having too little gasoline at the wrong time could be a huge problem.
Man you guys sound like dooms day preppers! Might as well hoard ammo too. LOL just kidding. Its good to be prepared for the worst. California fire, South Carolina floods and now Texas floods. Mother nature is pretty pissed at us recently.

PS... you forgot Zombie Apocalypse!
Old 11-01-15, 06:33 PM
ironcondor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
I've broken this rule too many times, but anybody who ives in CA or any other potential earthquake zone should really never go below 1/4 of a tank. I only mention this because it's amazing how many people have never thought about it.
THIS. It's just prudent. Earthquakes aside, you also never know if anything causes a lengthy detour, etc.

Another example: I used to drive 50+ miles each way to work, through some rural mountainous areas - nothing for 25 miles over the hills. This one afternoon a couple years ago, someone in AZ screwed up something on some major transmission lines, and practically all of San Diego, north into the southern parts of OC, were impacted. No power. No cell phone coverage - that's right, most cell towers went down too.

It was a major outage. I had 1/3 of a tank left and knew I'd be fine to get home through the rural areas. However, not all were so lucky. Those that needed gas before heading into the mountains were S.O.L. The gas pumps were all down. Everyone was sitting there at the gas station, nowhere to go because they were low on gas but couldn't get any, and couldn't call out with their cell phones either.

It's not about being a fanatical doomsday prepper, it's about applying common sense to your situation. That said, I may or may not subscribe to the doomsday prepping anyhow. Especially for the zombies. One day....
Old 11-02-15, 07:18 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm sort of a prepper but not like those you see on TV. I have a blanket, water, flash light, blade and fire extinguisher, among other things in my car.

In the event of an natural disaster, you aren't driving anywhere so how much gas is in your tank is moot. You ever see the roads on a snow day in say Atlanta? It's a parking lot. Best is to bunker down or head to a safe place and wait for rescue. But lets say you really want to be prepared for a natural disaster and want to be ready with gas. Carry a 5 gallon gas can and a hose with you. You can always siphon gas from abandoned cars.
Old 11-02-15, 07:38 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

So I just made highway trip to NJ and get around 325 miles on full tank. I still think it should be much better but oh well
Old 11-02-15, 08:13 AM
ironcondor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was that in eco mode + cruise control? And at what speeds?
Old 11-02-15, 08:15 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Yeah ECO + 75% cruise control...

Around 65-70MPH.
Old 11-02-15, 08:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djrabbi
So I just made highway trip to NJ and get around 325 miles on full tank. I still think it should be much better but oh well
How many gallons of gasoline were remaining in the tank? I assume you didn't run the tank dry.
Old 11-02-15, 08:27 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Quarter of a tank left with cruising range of 43 miles left
Old 11-02-15, 08:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Quarter of a tank left with cruising range of 43 miles left
Well, that is a very important fact that was left off!
Old 11-02-15, 09:01 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

I just think that my V8 CLS55 got same mileage on highway as the GS350 did but CLS was 21 gallons vs. 17 gallons.

Maybe I am just complaining for no reason lol
Old 11-09-15, 02:46 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal experience + reading this thread = GS gas mileage sux.
Just for reference, the 535i (200 pounds *heavier* than the GS) gets 21 city / 34 freeway. Tested this myself.
Old 11-10-15, 01:09 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

recently bought my gs but in eco mode car is getting about 23.5 mpg combined hwy city drive with a fairly large uphill ride for a portion of this. Not bad considering my gs300 got about 24.5 in that same drive
Old 11-10-15, 09:09 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by metrathon
My personal experience + reading this thread = GS gas mileage sux.
Just for reference, the 535i (200 pounds *heavier* than the GS) gets 21 city / 34 freeway. Tested this myself.
Agree'd. Thought it would be much better than a BMW but I actually test drove the diesel which has so much TQ

Quick Reply: Hmmmmm Gas Mileage?