GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-15, 07:15 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Burning smell

The last week or so when I get out of the car I've been smelling " break in smell" I guess but it has 10400 miles. Just did the 10k service a few weeks ago and thinking they spilled oil.... But man it's strong smell.

Stresses me out I want to keep this car too
Old 10-31-15, 07:52 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Oil residue from oil changes usually burn off within a couple hours of driving. Does the burning smell metallic?
Old 11-01-15, 06:50 AM
Boomin
Racer

Yea maybe I guess. Especially if I excellerate to 4k rpms then park ooouf like last night when I got home. I opened the hood checked the oil level, I'll check radiator now but non the less no leaks. The smell is coming from under the engine area.
Old 11-01-15, 07:14 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,328 Likes on 680 Posts

Could be carbon build up. Every time I drive my girlfriend's Acura I use more than 15% of the gas pedal. The built up carbon burns off and makes it stink. If that is the problem it should go away with some spirited driving.
Old 11-01-15, 07:42 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Take it in to the dealer and have them check out the car.
Old 11-01-15, 08:32 AM
Boomin
Racer

Damn, ok I'll go in
Old 11-01-15, 09:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
The last week or so when I get out of the car I've been smelling " break in smell" I guess but it has 10400 miles. Just did the 10k service a few weeks ago and thinking they spilled oil.... But man it's strong smell.

Stresses me out I want to keep this car too
During the oil & filter change there was probably some oil that got onto some part of the engine, transmission or undercarriage that doesn't get really hot enough to quickly burn it off, which can cause the burning oil smell to linger for a long time. Conversely, if oil gets on the exhaust headers or catalytic converter it doesn't take very long to burn off. If you find any spilled oil you may want to go back to the dealership and have them clean up their mess - where they will probably spray brake parts cleaner on the area to dissolve the spilled oil.

You may want to look around near the plastic engine cover where the oil filler cap is located - sometimes they miss the filler hole and some oil is spilled that finds its way underneath the engine cover and onto the engine where it is hidden from view, but on a surface that is not hot enough to burn it off. I hate when that happens. Lexus techs that change oil and filters are usually taught to be very careful not to make (or leave behind) any mess that may cause an oil smell or oil leakage. Lexus owners don't take too kindly to that happening!

Hopefully you don't have any oil drops on the garage floor or pavement underneath the car...

Old 11-16-15, 10:31 AM
Boomin
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
During the oil & filter change there was probably some oil that got onto some part of the engine, transmission or undercarriage that doesn't get really hot enough to quickly burn it off, which can cause the burning oil smell to linger for a long time. Conversely, if oil gets on the exhaust headers or catalytic converter it doesn't take very long to burn off. If you find any spilled oil you may want to go back to the dealership and have them clean up their mess - where they will probably spray brake parts cleaner on the area to dissolve the spilled oil.

You may want to look around near the plastic engine cover where the oil filler cap is located - sometimes they miss the filler hole and some oil is spilled that finds its way underneath the engine cover and onto the engine where it is hidden from view, but on a surface that is not hot enough to burn it off. I hate when that happens. Lexus techs that change oil and filters are usually taught to be very careful not to make (or leave behind) any mess that may cause an oil smell or oil leakage. Lexus owners don't take too kindly to that happening!

Hopefully you don't have any oil drops on the garage floor or pavement underneath the car...

Hahahahaha oh my word I just saw this epic!!!

Btw I'm so happy to have found out that it was from a plastic bag burning on the muffler pipe. It'll burn eventually or just get a metal brush... blah blah ill just let it burn. But man so happy. Got back in time from my wife's IS battery to be changed from lexus mechanic ( btw 2nd dead within 20 months ) and I asked him why is this smell, he knew right away. we got down under car and I saw it. ahhhhhhhhhh so happy

Old 11-16-15, 01:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
Hahahahaha oh my word I just saw this epic!!!

Btw I'm so happy to have found out that it was from a plastic bag burning on the muffler pipe. It'll burn eventually or just get a metal brush... blah blah ill just let it burn. But man so happy. Got back in time from my wife's IS battery to be changed from lexus mechanic ( btw 2nd dead within 20 months ) and I asked him why is this smell, he knew right away. we got down under car and I saw it. ahhhhhhhhhh so happy

Very good! It helps to know for sure what is causing strange things. In this case, it was something simple that doesn't even need further attention.