GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Ran over a tire going 75mph = Minor front bumper damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 10:11 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ran over a tire going 75mph = Minor front bumper damage

A tire from a semi trailer was laying in the middle of the freeway the other night and unfortunately I did not see it until it was too late. Went right over it and heard a lot of noise in the process so I was thinking the worst had happened. I was able to scrub off most of the rubber scuff marks with goo gone but there was a gash in the paint that remained:

Is this something I should look to touch up myself or should I file an insurance claim? Or should I just pay for a professional touch up out of pocket. Any clue how much damage we're talking in terms of $$? I think they would have to repaint the entire bumper, right?
Old 11-01-15, 10:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Same thing happened to me with a tire on the freeway. I remember going through this as well. The places I went to suggested repainting the whole bumper even for something very small. I got quotes upwards of 6 to 800 bucks. Touch up paint would be cheaper but hire a professional. Shop around and quotes are usually free
Old 11-01-15, 10:40 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
Same thing happened to me with a tire on the freeway. I remember going through this as well. The places I went to suggested repainting the whole bumper even for something very small. I got quotes upwards of 6 to 800 bucks. Touch up paint would be cheaper but hire a professional. Shop around and quotes are usually free
Thanks for the feedback. What did you end up doing in your scenario? Full repaint or professional touch up?
Old 11-01-15, 10:41 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Which freeway/area was this?
Old 11-01-15, 10:45 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by Wincer94
Which freeway/area was this?
405 Southbound near the exit for the Getty Center
Old 11-01-15, 11:30 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

most of that looks like it would come out..take some rubbing compound to it and wax afterward
Old 11-01-15, 11:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,494 Posts

It looks like the paint has rubber transferred onto it. Use WD-40 to dissolve and remove the rubber marks. Or, anything with sufficient lemon oil, such as furniture polish.
Old 11-01-15, 11:48 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
Thanks for the feedback. What did you end up doing in your scenario? Full repaint or professional touch up?
A little paint cosmetic damage never really bothered me and was never a priority. I only had liabilities and im still saving up for a full repaint or a used bumper of the same color that might come along
Old 11-01-15, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Glad it wasn't worse! Running over tires like that at highway speeds can cause a lot of damage.

Only way to fix that right is a full repaint. Trying to touch it up is likely to make it look worse.

A little paint cosmetic damage never really bothered me and was never a priority. I only had liabilities and im still saving up for a full repaint or a used bumper of the same color that might come along
I hope you only have liability on your 92 SC and not on a 4GS
Old 11-01-15, 10:40 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Your in Cali but I had gotten a quote to paint an F Sport bumper from a local Lexus dealer and they quoted me $375 to prep and paint match my starfire pearl GS. I say check with dealers around you. I'd pay out of pocket if I were you.
Old 11-02-15, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I would be weary of a cheap job and the paint matching right. That color is really hard to match...
Old 11-02-15, 06:41 AM
bigblack06

Received 325 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
A tire from a semi trailer was laying in the middle of the freeway the other night and unfortunately I did not see it until it was too late. Went right over it and heard a lot of noise in the process so I was thinking the worst had happened. I was able to scrub off most of the rubber scuff marks with goo gone but there was a gash in the paint that remained:

Is this something I should look to touch up myself or should I file an insurance claim? Or should I just pay for a professional touch up out of pocket. Any clue how much damage we're talking in terms of $$? I think they would have to repaint the entire bumper, right?
Lucky that's the only damage I have seen worse, I blame it on the fact Lexus doesn't send this cars with fog lights anymore. I would pay out of pocket damage is not worth the claim.
Old 11-05-15, 12:53 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by thekhmer
most of that looks like it would come out..take some rubbing compound to it and wax afterward
I wish. Unfortunately the dark area isn't rubber reside. It's from the paint that was scraped off the bumper.

Originally Posted by bclexus
It looks like the paint has rubber transferred onto it. Use WD-40 to dissolve and remove the rubber marks. Or, anything with sufficient lemon oil, such as furniture polish.
I wish. Unfortunately the dark area isn't rubber reside. It's from the paint that was scraped off the bumper.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Glad it wasn't worse! Running over tires like that at highway speeds can cause a lot of damage.

Only way to fix that right is a full repaint. Trying to touch it up is likely to make it look worse.

I hope you only have liability on your 92 SC and not on a 4GS
Yea it could have been a lot worse!!!

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Your in Cali but I had gotten a quote to paint an F Sport bumper from a local Lexus dealer and they quoted me $375 to prep and paint match my starfire pearl GS. I say check with dealers around you. I'd pay out of pocket if I were you.
Yea and I'm also finding that insurance considers this an "at fault" collision so not shot getting anything out of State Farm.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would be weary of a cheap job and the paint matching right. That color is really hard to match...
I know...

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Lucky that's the only damage I have seen worse, I blame it on the fact Lexus doesn't send this cars with fog lights anymore. I would pay out of pocket damage is not worth the claim.
Yea I got off ok considering the circumstances. Will be paying out of pocket when I have enough money to justify paying to repain my entire bumper for a small scuff.
Old 11-05-15, 02:31 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Check with Longo, I think they have a Lexus certified body shop. Don't mess with other body shop and end up with a shiitty repair.
Old 11-06-15, 02:40 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Similar thing happened to me a couple of months ago. But when I went over the tire, it actually broke off a a small piece in the bottom corner where you have a bad scuff mark and it also tore out half of my inner fender. I filed a claim on it, luckily my insurance didn't go up because it was deemed unavoidable. I took it to Newport Lexus to fix and they charged the insurance company a total of $1300-1400 including parts and labor. Keep in mind, they replaced the driver's side inner fender and the whole bumper and of course did the painting as well.