GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Problem with alignment or something more serious?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 02:21 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Problem with alignment or something more serious?

Just noticed today that the car is chewing the inner side of the passenger tire. The remaining 3 corners do not have this problem.

The car is lowered.

I think I have maybe -1.2 camber in front, not more than that.

I don't know if its the toe that needs to be adjusted or something else is causing this?

Just seems weird that only 1 tire is having the problem.....
Old 11-02-15, 02:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sounds like it can be a toe problem
Old 11-02-15, 03:44 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm currently experiencing this problem. I noticed that my rear wheels are both tilting out. I have a negative camber issue and don't know if its due to alignment or not. I noticed it a few hundred miles after I got my new 20" wheels and tires put on. I'm not lowered though. My rear passenger side is worse then my rear drivers side.
Old 11-02-15, 04:13 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds like it can be a toe problem
That's what I was thought, but it seemed strange that it's just one tire.
Old 11-02-15, 04:29 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I'm currently experiencing this problem. I noticed that my rear wheels are both tilting out. I have a negative camber issue and don't know if its due to alignment or not. I noticed it a few hundred miles after I got my new 20" wheels and tires put on. I'm not lowered though. My rear passenger side is worse then my rear drivers side.
Sevn86 - I think you got a shoddy alignment. I would have your Lexus dealership do an alignment so it will be right. The size of your aftermarket wheels do not affect alignment.
Old 11-02-15, 04:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
SNiiP3R - It sounds like you may have hit something (e.g. pot hole) with the right front to mess up the alignment, or the tie rod adjustment sleeve is/came loose. I would get it aligned as soon as convenient so your tire doesn't scrub away, which can happen quickly.
Old 11-02-15, 05:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

could be pothole or something, definitely get it aligned and see what's up

Originally Posted by Sevn86
having factory negative camber is ok, that's how it's supposed to be. as long as the negative camber is not too bad you should be fine. but having it noticeably different between left and right that doesn't sound right.

and also, when it comes to inside tire wear, negative camber is a factor, but in general toe in/out is a much bigger factor
Old 11-02-15, 09:23 PM
nveddy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Negative camber is not ok on our cars if not lowered lol...my tires were literally gone on the rear but it wasn't camber ...it was negative toe...once they did alignment it's fine.
Old 11-03-15, 03:09 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Just noticed today that the car is chewing the inner side of the passenger tire. The remaining 3 corners do not have this problem.

The car is lowered.

I think I have maybe -1.2 camber in front, not more than that.

I don't know if its the toe that needs to be adjusted or something else is causing this?

Just seems weird that only 1 tire is having the problem.....
Literally have the same issue, my tires are shot had to switch to winter early cause of it. It was the toe to blame cause I got an alignment and it still didn't save the tires.
Old 11-03-15, 09:48 AM
jhyphen
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Literally have the same issue, my tires are shot had to switch to winter early cause of it. It was the toe to blame cause I got an alignment and it still didn't save the tires.
Ahh So im not the only who had to switch over early.

The inside wear on the rears killed my tires. I knew I needed an alignment but what's done is done
Old 11-03-15, 10:07 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jhyphen
Ahh So im not the only who had to switch over early.

The inside wear on the rears killed my tires. I knew I needed an alignment but what's done is done
Funny story I was told by dealer to get it replaced, went by 2 weeks then saw your post and decided it was time to put the winter wheels on. I had an alignment though I think we have to get a camber kit in order for it to not wear in the rear that bad my plan is to purchase that and get it on the car.
Old 11-03-15, 11:30 AM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Funny story I was told by dealer to get it replaced, went by 2 weeks then saw your post and decided it was time to put the winter wheels on. I had an alignment though I think we have to get a camber kit in order for it to not wear in the rear that bad my plan is to purchase that and get it on the car.
The Camber kit is hit or miss isn't it? From what I've read on here most cars are ok with a moderate drop.
I'm really trying to decide if I should install them on mine while I'm installing the drop springs....
Old 11-03-15, 03:35 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
could be pothole or something, definitely get it aligned and see what's up

having factory negative camber is ok, that's how it's supposed to be. as long as the negative camber is not too bad you should be fine. but having it noticeably different between left and right that doesn't sound right.

and also, when it comes to inside tire wear, negative camber is a factor, but in general toe in/out is a much bigger factor
this ......
Old 11-03-15, 03:55 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Can toe be adjusted/ fixed?
Old 11-03-15, 04:33 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^yes. that's the number one thing you want corrected when getting an alignment...
toe should be set to zero

Quick Reply: Problem with alignment or something more serious?