GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

picking up 2013 tonight with 6K left on manufactory's warranty - what to look for?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15 | 08:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

mattds - You may get some pushback from the Lexus dealer if they learn that you just bought the car from a used car lot and you expect to have one or more TSBs taken care of with just 6k miles of original warranty remaining. That said, many feel that TSB repairs should be taken care of at no-charge regardless of whether the vehicle is still under the car maker's original warranty. Unlike a recall that is mandated and the dealership is reimbursed for the parts and labor, there is no obligation to do TSB repairs for free or even at reduced charges to the owner, since the car maker does not require the repair to be performed and does not necessarily reimburse the dealership for TSB repairs.

Just be aware - I say that you 'may' get some pushback...
Old 11-05-15 | 08:57 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mattds
HI All, thank you very much for your knowledge!

I did insist on a lexus inspection, which from what i understand is essentially a safety with a few more things added on - so i think tire and brakes 'should' be ok - but i will check.

Does anyone know if i could ask a dealership to inspect the car for TSB's? i can't imagine a dealership doing this - but you never know...i would imagine i would have to pay at least an hour of labour and then if they find anything they could possibly assign the labour to it...even if they charged me the labour i would be ok with it...

I don't see why they would say no to that, but you may have to pay some. Since you only have 6k more miles on your warranty.. it may be best to read through all the TSBs and then print out all the ones that you think would have a significant impact on the car. I'm guessing it would take a pretty long time to check for all of them.
Old 11-05-15 | 09:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's doubtful TSB repairs are made unless the customer complains about something in which a TSB covers. Dealerships don't usually go looking for the things that TSBs are issued to address.
Old 11-05-15 | 10:18 AM
Jeevz
Rookie

Does anyone know if i could ask a dealership to inspect the car for TSB's?
Go to drivers.lexus.com and "join" the website. Once you are in it will give you the option to associate your VIN with your login and see open recalls or service campaigns along with a service history that will tell you what has been done to the car as long as it was a Lexus dealer. That's where I found the seat sensor issue on mine.
Old 11-05-15 | 02:32 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
HERE ya go!
Thank you!
Old 11-05-15 | 05:23 PM
allivant
Driver School Candidate

when a GS is L/Certified, do they do all the TSBs?
Old 11-05-15 | 05:29 PM
Mindcore
Driver School Candidate

I bought my current car, an infiniti, from a chyrsler dealer. It had about 10K left on the warranty.

I went into the local dealership and asked for the service manager. Introduced myself, told him I just bought the car and that warranty was running out soon. Would he "mind" giving it a once over and making sure that anything that might give me trouble could be addressed? I winked.. he winked and they kept my car for a couple days.

The replaced a lot of things, and it was like new when I picked it up.

Maybe blurring the ethical lines a touch, but it was under warranty. Couldn't hurt to try that approach.

And on a personal note, we're in the same province, unless you're in California. Would you mind sharing the details of your purchase? mileage, price etc? I'm looking seriously into getting a 13 GS as well and have been looking through Autotrader like you probably have. Just wondering what sort of negotiating leeway I may have.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-15 | 05:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by allivant
when a GS is L/Certified, do they do all the TSBs?
No.

Old 11-05-15 | 08:19 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

The TSBs exist to address concerns that a determined to be a common problem but typically not full "recall" worthy as they may affect only some cars or some cars depending on a variety of factors and conditions.

When i had my '11 IS350, there was a TSB on the infamous "Headlamp Bubbling" defect. Apparently some of the finish/paint/material inside the headlight housing exposed to certain specific conditions would bubble with heat from the car being in direct sun over time.

My headlamp had minor bubbling but I feel because my car was still under original warranty and it was only a few months since I purchased it as a CPO with the overlapping remaining factory/original warranty, my dealership gave me brand new headlamps replaced under the TSB. I paid nothing...the receipt showed a $2100 charge for new headlamps which I paid zero to fix!

To the OP: You should only concern yourself with things that seem to be a problem specifically with your vehicle or soon to be vehicle as the TSB list is lengthy. As good as the Lexus/Toyota brand has proven, one thing you never want to do is start second guessing everything because you "heard" or "seen" a TSB about it...because then frankly, you'll never be satisfied! Just my two cents
Old 11-05-15 | 08:57 PM
mattds
Pit Crew

And on a personal note, we're in the same province, unless you're in California. Would you mind sharing the details of your purchase? mileage, price etc? I'm looking seriously into getting a 13 GS as well and have been looking through Autotrader like you probably have. Just wondering what sort of negotiating leeway I may have.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

First to address the price/choice if car. I was looking in the mid size luxury car class... I had narrowed it down to the A6 3.0T due to the tunability and transmission but was afraid of the reliability and then GS (also both cars were designes relatively recently compared to the e class and 5 series.) so after almoat buying a loaded a6. I found a ga 350 awd luxury with everything including night vision for $33888. It has 73k on it. A few weeks earlier i test drove a similar car without adaptice cruise or hud at a dealership...same km's but not a cpo...for 43500...so when i saw this i jumped on it.

Now having said that, i miss tjat i cant tune it like the audi to well over 400hp. And it seems to have a vibration like the tires are pit of balance...so after fighting with them they had the tires balanced and that didnt help (i suspect it will need tires!) so i havent collected it as they are sorting it out...i also paid $150 for a lexus saftey inspection and plan to get the 72k km service done as im sure it wasnt and ask the dealership to really gice it a once over as its nearing the end of the warranty....hopefully i get it tomorrow with new tires
Old 11-05-15 | 10:16 PM
BSoulMan
Driver School Candidate

HI All, as the tittle says i'll be picking up a new to me 2013 GS 350 awd luxury in the next day or so. It has about 6k left on the bumper to bumper warranty. it's NOT from a lexus dealer but after searching for 2 months the price on this was great AND knowing that it still had some warranty left on it - it seems like a good deal to me. It's also loaded with night vision, adaptive cruise control, etc.

Anything i should look out for that i can get fixed within the next couple of months?

I currently have an ES 350 and it's been incredibly solid...in 3 years it hasn't seen the inside of a dealership!

Thanks
Congrats on your purchase, I just bought and picked up a 2013 ES 350, that also still has warranty on it- very happy with the car so far. Will do some freeway driving and get more acclimated with the car over the weekend. Just came from a 2004 Cadillac CTS.
Old 11-05-15 | 10:36 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

If you do not possess the mechanic aptitude to do a thorough mechanical inspection yourself, then you should pay a mechanic to do it. And I am not referring to the cheap Lexus inspection. Have a Lexus-fluent independent mechanic inspect it, it can save you major headaches. If it's a good mechanic, they're going to do a better job than the mediocre PPI that Lexus offers.
I would also check prices of the extended warranty. The price of some of the major components will likely cost you more than the warranty itself.