GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New Tires on GS 350 F Sport RWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-15, 08:43 AM
13GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires on GS 350 F Sport RWD

Looking to getting new tires on my 2013 GS 350 F Sport. My factory Bridgestone Potenza re050a tires are giving out on me at 19,000 miles.

What tires are the best? I live out in Texas so I don't encounter snow or any rough winter conditions. I am looking for something that is quiet and comfortable. Don't really care for performance as I only do street driving... nothing too crazy besides the occasional gunning it lol. Suggestions?

Also, does anyone know where to find the best deals on tires? Are there any promos going on right now?

On average, about how long are tires lasting you guys on the F Sport staggered setup?
Old 11-05-15, 09:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I don't know offhand what sizes may be available for your staggered setup in the rather new Michelin 'Premier' Grand Touring A/S tires, but I have been extremely pleased with the (one oversize from OE 235/45) Premier tires I bought recently in 245/45R18.
Old 11-05-15, 11:24 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

The best brand is Michelin but they don't last very long, sucks since they're very pricey. To get a deal, I get a quote from one shop (Discount) then I call another (Evans Tire) and give them the first quote. Usually, if their quotes are nearly identical, Evans will beat the first quote by 40 bucks to get my business.
Old 11-05-15, 11:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
The best brand is Michelin but they don't last very long, sucks since they're very pricey.
How long a Michelin tire will last under normal conditions depends on which Michelin tire you choose. The Michelin Premier tires I have come with a 60k mile warranty. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport (for example) comes with only a 30k mile warranty.
Old 11-05-15, 11:36 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Try Simpletire.com and Tirerack.com
Old 11-05-15, 11:39 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

I've experienced the Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Michelins on my RWD F-sport. IMO, the worst is Bridgestone, which didn't last long (~20K miles), loud and harsh ride, mediocre grip (especially in the wet). The Dunlops that were on my 2015 are similar to the Bridgestones, but idk about wear life yet. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the best for this car and Lexus should have put these on at the factory. They have pretty good tread life (8K miles after changing and they were still pretty new), quiet and smoother ride, excellent grip (even in the wet).

I usually go to America's Tire Co. (Same company as Discount Tires) to get my tires. After I get a quote with all the discounts and rebates factored in, I go online and compare it to others. They are usually cheaper, but if I find it cheaper somewhere else (Costco), I print it and they match it. I like their multiple locations and road hazard insurance. Glad I had the road hazard because a month after replacing the Bridgestones with Michelins, a pothole slashed a hole in the sidewall rendering the tire unrepairable. I only had to pay to have the insurance on the new tire, and they replaced it.
Old 11-05-15, 11:41 AM
shiveng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3's and love them. changed the bridgestones at 25k. I live in atlanta and was going to get the Super Sports but i noticed that with summer tires and our georgia winter temperatures you lose a lot of grip when the tires are cold. Theyre essentially bricks below 35 deg. So all season tires were my choice for the daily commutes.

I went wider in size too. My RWD configuration: front - 245/40/19 rear- 275/35/19. much more planted, smoother, quieter, all around improvement. No change in speedometer reading.

Bought them from Discount Tire store, they beat everyone's prices.
Old 11-05-15, 11:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the best for this car and Lexus should have put these on at the factory. They have pretty good tread life (8K miles after changing and they were still pretty new), quiet and smoother ride, excellent grip (even in the wet).
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is designed for high performance vehicles and summer driving, this tire excels at extreme dry and wet handling and traction. However, since the Pilot Super Sport is not an 'All Season' tire it should not be used at lower temperatures, especially below 40 degrees where this tire becomes dangerous. Since the Pilot Super Sport is a performance tire it has a low treadwear number of only 300, thus the low 30k mile warranty.
Old 11-05-15, 11:50 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by shiveng
I got Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3's and love them. changed the bridgestones at 25k. I live in atlanta and was going to get the Super Sports but i noticed that with summer tires and our georgia winter temperatures you lose a lot of grip when the tires are cold. Theyre essentially bricks below 35 deg. So all season tires were my choice for the daily commutes.

I went wider in size too. My RWD configuration: front - 245/40/19 rear- 275/35/19. much more planted, smoother, quieter, all around improvement. No change in speedometer reading.

I always go to discount tire but I just found out Nalley Lexus will price match any local shops. That's where I will take my car when I need new tires. .
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (02-24-17)
Old 11-05-15, 11:52 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shiveng

Smart decision!
Old 11-05-15, 12:38 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
How long a Michelin tire will last under normal conditions depends on which Michelin tire you choose. The Michelin Premier tires I have come with a 60k mile warranty. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport (for example) comes with only a 30k mile warranty.
Not to mention the warranty is cut in half if using a stagger set up like the rwd model
Old 11-05-15, 12:41 PM
Voogru
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with slightly larger tires if you want to save some money. I went with wider tires and it was a difference of a few hundred bucks... for the same exact tire.

front 245/40/19
rear 275/35/19
Old 11-05-15, 01:48 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I buy my tires from discount tire when they have their good better best promotion. Usually get a $100 rebate card. This last time they had It in May, I qualified for not just the $100 discount prepaid card but also a Pirelli rebate that they were running as well. So I got another $60 for that. It's super rare to find two promos running at the same time but I guess discount didn't see that the day their promo was suppose to end Pirelli started theirs and they both overlapped for a day. Lucky for me I happen to go in that day to get new tires.
Old 11-05-15, 02:09 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I've experienced the Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Michelins on my RWD F-sport. IMO, the worst is Bridgestone, which didn't last long (~20K miles), loud and harsh ride, mediocre grip (especially in the wet). The Dunlops that were on my 2015 are similar to the Bridgestones, but idk about wear life yet. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the best for this car and Lexus should have put these on at the factory. They have pretty good tread life (8K miles after changing and they were still pretty new), quiet and smoother ride, excellent grip (even in the wet).
Coming from an 18", I did a significant test driving before deciding if I should get the F Sport. The above is about right in my opinion. I ended up having the dealer order Michellins PSS before I took the car. I read some comments about quality degraded after 5K. I passed that mark and still think they are great tires. Some argue Dunlops are designed for more performance. I don't push the car to its limits and prefer more a daily comfort, so it does the job for me. Another downside is one may have problem when temperature drops, if it does get cold where you live. FWIW, I replaced my 18" Dunlops at 35+K when there was still good tread. I have a feeling that PSS esp. in staggered set up, will wear out a lot faster.
Old 11-05-15, 02:21 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is designed for high performance vehicles and summer driving, this tire excels at extreme dry and wet handling and traction. However, since the Pilot Super Sport is not an 'All Season' tire it should not be used at lower temperatures, especially below 40 degrees where this tire becomes dangerous. Since the Pilot Super Sport is a performance tire it has a low treadwear number of only 300, thus the low 30k mile warranty.
I'll take your word for it since it gets nowhere close to being that cold here in SoCal. Haha

Quick Reply: New Tires on GS 350 F Sport RWD