GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Shell vs. Chevron gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-15, 09:14 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

I never noticed any difference between brands of gas. I generally fill up at Costco but have used Shell, Mobil, BP, Chevron and others. Feels the same to me.

Just stay away from E85 if it is available in your area. It's bad enough we have to use E10. And most of those additives are for cleaner emissions and not for performance.
Old 11-06-15, 09:40 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Never knew what was the purpose of 89.. manufactures seem to recommend 87 or 91+.
I always thought of 89 as "not quite 91 but good enough to not cause pinging and it will do" . Also, I could actually feel the power difference between 89 and 91
Old 11-06-15, 10:03 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
I always thought of 89 as "not quite 91 but good enough to not cause pinging and it will do" . Also, I could actually feel the power difference between 89 and 91

hmmmmmm.. if I get bored I may look more into it later lol.
Old 11-06-15, 10:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm guessing 89 will be gone soon.Hard to believe that grade sells well but on the other hand,it does make for a bigger profit..
Old 11-06-15, 10:57 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I never noticed any difference between brands of gas. I generally fill up at Costco but have used Shell, Mobil, BP, Chevron and others. Feels the same to me.

Just stay away from E85 if it is available in your area. It's bad enough we have to use E10. And most of those additives are for cleaner emissions and not for performance.
E85 is great fuel for making power, people typically gain 30-50 wheel horsepower by having their car tuned for it. It is very resistant to knock, since it somewhere close to the equivalent of 110 octane gasoline, it releases more moles from the combustion process, and it burns "cooler." This means that you can run significantly more timing and make quite a bit more power.

That being said, this makes zero difference for regular cars. First off, you need a flex fuel(or any e85 designated) car to even run the stuff. Second off, you need to calculate how much worse the gas mileage is(because it requires more fuel compared to typical gasoline) is versus how much cheaper E85 is. This is how you tell if it's even worth it, assuming E85 stations are convenient for you.
Old 11-06-15, 11:05 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by conboi
When I said ethanol, I meant to say ethanol blend gas. Do these stations sell full ethanol gas?

yeah e85 flex fuel, so be careful, look at the logo on the pump.
Old 11-06-15, 11:09 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mjeds

Those are pretty rare.. I see them occasionally though
Old 11-06-15, 11:12 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by NickTee
E85 is great fuel for making power, people typically gain 30-50 wheel horsepower by having their car tuned for it. It is very resistant to knock, since it somewhere close to the equivalent of 110 octane gasoline, it releases more moles from the combustion process, and it burns "cooler." This means that you can run significantly more timing and make quite a bit more power.

That being said, this makes zero difference for regular cars. First off, you need a flex fuel(or any e85 designated) car to even run the stuff. Second off, you need to calculate how much worse the gas mileage is(because it requires more fuel compared to typical gasoline) is versus how much cheaper E85 is. This is how you tell if it's even worth it, assuming E85 stations are convenient for you.
You're correct.

And I meant to say E15. Certain cities, like Chicago, are trying to push E15 as a cleaner option. Our cars specifically says do not use E15 however.
Old 11-06-15, 11:14 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by mjeds
And the reason they sell E85 instead of pure ethanol is because if they sold pure ethanol people would try to drink it. LOL

It's like straight moonshine so they mix it with 15% gasoline so people won't drink it. Shakes head.
Old 11-06-15, 11:32 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Aren't we suppose to put only Premium on this car?
Old 11-06-15, 11:35 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Aren't we suppose to put only Premium on this car?

Yup, 91+ as stated in the manual
Old 11-06-15, 01:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
These engines don't make enough power for you to have to worry about whether one is good and the other is better. Even people saying they feel a difference in power, unless they put in 87 octane, are most likely overthinking it in their head more than actually feeling a change.
Totally agree! There is no way that anyone can tell a difference in performance by the seat of their pants between one brand and another brand of Top Tier gasoline unless the blends are vastly different. And, to think they could tell a difference right away after filling-up is simply impossible. Not only is the [so-called] good gas mixed with whatever is left remaining in the tank of the [so-called] bad gas to produce a mixture of the two different gasoline brands, but it takes a bit of time for the fuel to even reach the injectors.
Old 11-06-15, 04:23 PM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they both are the two best gas companies out there.
buy shell or chevron which ever one is cheaper,
i use costco for premium to save the 20 cents a gallon, and if i blend 87 in with premium i use shell or chevron never use 87 from other brands other than shell or chevron,
mobil exxon is ok a far third
Old 11-09-15, 11:05 AM
wangster79
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
The line is never worth the wait though :/.. time = money
Costco gas stations open before the regular warehouse opens and close an hour later (at least the one's in So Cal). If you happen to pass by outside warehouse hours, the wait might be worth it. Sometimes there isn't a wait.
Old 11-09-15, 11:49 AM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have been using Costco premium, last fill up I did regular to see if makes any difference or if there is a loss in economy. It would be nice to pay .40 less per gallon if its not needed. As of yet there is no difference but it may take a few fill ups for any changes to the rich / lean for knocking ect.

Quick Reply: Shell vs. Chevron gasoline