GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Costco tires damaged my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 09:25 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Don't accept a rotisserie chicken as compensation.
You deserve better.
Absolutely-make them throw in 1/2 lb. of chicken salad with that rotisserie chicken.
Old 12-02-15, 05:12 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

When having work done always walk around the car with them when you get there and tell them it is for both of your protection. They will fully understand and their feelings will not be hurt. And they will know that you are picky about your car.
Old 12-02-15, 05:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
Absolutely-make them throw in 1/2 lb. of chicken salad with that rotisserie chicken.
No chicken salad.
E-coli issue with Costco chicken salad.
Old 12-02-15, 07:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
When having work done always walk around the car with them when you get there and tell them it is for both of your protection. They will fully understand and their feelings will not be hurt. And they will know that you are picky about your car.
I'm sure there would be many tire dealers/shops (even the best ones) that would say they could not guarantee there will be absolutely no damage at all...and that if you are that picky you might want to visit another tire dealer/shop. No shop wants to make $25-$50 net profit on the sale of four mounted and balanced tires and then have to deal with an owner that complains about small nicks from the lug socket inside the wheel's lug holes and expects it to be made new again.
Old 12-02-15, 08:50 AM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't let shops use an impact on my cars period. Torque wrench and I have special plastic sleeved sockets to further protect the wheels.

If a shop doesn't want my business...that's fine, there are literally hundreds that do!
Old 12-02-15, 11:31 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSTG
I don't let shops use an impact on my cars period. Torque wrench and I have special plastic sleeved sockets to further protect the wheels.

If a shop doesn't want my business...that's fine, there are literally hundreds that do!
If I owned a tire shop I would send you on your way...to one of the "literally hundreds that do" want your business. Hundreds! Really?
Old 12-02-15, 11:46 AM
SSTG
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
If I owned a tire shop I would send you on your way...to one of the "literally hundreds that do" want your business. Hundreds! Really?
Really. Look them up if you wish.

If you would settle for less, that's your choice. To knock me for not, well that's your choice also.

Won't stop me from getting the best service possible for my money. And this might be a shocker, but some companies even respect me for it.
Old 12-02-15, 12:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Really. Look them up if you wish.

If you would settle for less, that's your choice. To knock me for not, well that's your choice also.

Won't stop me from getting the best service possible for my money. And this might be a shocker, but some companies even respect me for it.
I'm not knocking you. You have the right to choose whomever you think will best meet your needs. You do not however have the right to tell me (if I am a tire dealer/shop manager/owner) that I will only perform work in a certain way or to use certain techniques or only special tools. I would kindly turn down your business...which would allow Dr. Smith to take your spot in-line and have me install four new tires on his S500 Mercedes-Benz.

All I am saying is that if I personally owned/managed a tire shop, that doing business with someone who wanted my shop personnel to use some other routine or tools (e.g. using special plastic sleeved sockets, no impact wrench, etc., etc.) would indicate to me that there is a very high likelihood that you would find some damage/fault (real or imagined), which is something I would just prefer not having to deal with. Thus, I would choose to nicely send you on your way. Me losing such a person's business just may turn out to be the best decision of the month...

Do you allow your Lexus dealer to work on your car? Do you dictate to them what tools and methods to use? Just wondering...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-02-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 12:33 PM
isekii
Rookie

I'm not knocking you. You have the right to choose whomever you think will best meet your needs. You do not have the right to tell me (if I am a tire dealer/shop manager/owner) that I will only perform work a certain way or to use certain techniques or special tools. I would kindly turn down your business...which would allow Dr. Smith to take your spot in-line and have me install four new tires put on his S500 Mercedes-Benz.

All I am saying is that if I personally owned/managed a tire shop, that doing business with someone who wanted my shop personnel to use some other routine or tools (e.g. using special plastic sleeved sockets, no impact wrench, etc., etc.) would indicate to me that there is a very high likelihood that you would find some damage/fault (real or imagined), which is something I would just prefer not having to deal with. Thus, I would choose to nicely send you on your way. Me losing such a person's business just may turn out to be the best decision of the month...

Do you allow your Lexus dealer to work on your car? Do you dictate to them what tools and methods to use? Just wondering...
Lexus road side uses impact wrench to remove wheels. They did each time I've called them.
Old 12-02-15, 12:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by isekii
Lexus road side uses impact wrench to remove wheels. They did each time I've called them.
Dealers and tire shops rarely torque wheels with actual torque wrench.
Old 12-02-15, 12:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Dealers and tire shops rarely torque wheels with actual torque wrench.
Discount Tire always torques the lugs with a manual torque wrench as their last step after they use an impact wrench with a torque-limiting stick/bar.
Old 12-02-15, 12:49 PM
SSTG
Driver

I'm not knocking you. You have the right to choose whomever you think will best meet your needs. You do not have the right to tell me (if I am a tire dealer/shop manager/owner) that I will only perform work a certain way or to use certain techniques or special tools. I would kindly turn down your business...which would allow Dr. Smith to take your spot in-line and have me install four new tires put on his S500 Mercedes-Benz.

My car only has 2xxx miles on it and has not had to have service. But yes, I would have no problem asking them to use a Torque wrench instead of an Impact.
I have owned Domestic cars all my life, mostly Corvettes. Never had an issue. I would hope with the Customer Service reputation Lexus has that they would have no issues with my requests.

But IF there was no way around it, I would make sure to have the car inspected by the Service Manager before any repairs were completed and after.

Finally, I own a Detail Shop and wouldn't think of offering anything but the upmost respect for my customers vehicles.
Old 12-02-15, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts
Default Costco tires damaged my wheels

I certainly have the right to request that a company work in my vehicle in the manner in which I want, using the tools I want, etc. They have the right to refuse, but then the poster said he 100% was fine if they refused.

I don't see how it's unreasonable to request that my vehicle be returned to me in exactly the same condition it was in when I gave it to them. It's certainly not hard to protect the wheels from ANY damage when replacing tires, it just takes a little care.
Old 12-02-15, 12:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

My car only has 2xxx miles on it and has not had to have service. But yes, I would have no problem asking them to use a Torque wrench instead of an Impact.
I have owned Domestic cars all my life, mostly Corvettes. Never had an issue. I would hope with the Customer Service reputation Lexus has that they would have no issues with my requests.

But IF there was no way around it, I would make sure to have the car inspected by the Service Manager before any repairs were completed and after.

Finally, I own a Detail Shop and wouldn't think of offering anything but the upmost respect for my customers vehicles.
I'm afraid you will almost certainly be disappointed at some point-in-time with your Lexus dealer... Just a friendly warning...
Old 12-02-15, 01:02 PM
SSTG
Driver

I'm afraid you will almost certainly be disappointed at some point-in-time with your Lexus dealer... Just a friendly warning...
Bummer, I could handle less free coffee and breakfasts and such for doing what I expect and that's top notch service.

I was impressed with the quality of Lexus as I have Detailed many over the years. The Service after the purchase I had heard of was icing on the cake. Those two things are what persuaded me to purchase a foreign car in the first place.

I just can't see why I should leave an establishment with a car that isn't in the condition it was brought to them in.

Quick Reply: Costco tires damaged my wheels