GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Costco tires damaged my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 01:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Discount Tire always torques the lugs with a manual torque wrench as their last step after they use an impact wrench with a torque-limiting stick/bar.
No Discount Tire shops in my area.
At one time or still, alloy wheels should be retorqued after 500 miles.
Old 12-02-15, 01:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTG
Bummer, I could handle less free coffee and breakfasts and such for doing what I expect and that's top notch service.

I was impressed with the quality of Lexus as I have Detailed many over the years. The Service after the purchase I had heard of was icing on the cake. Those two things are what persuaded me to purchase a foreign car in the first place.

I just can't see why I should leave an establishment with a car that isn't in the condition it was brought to them in.
I think most Lexus dealerships' service departments do very good work, but you'll find plenty of people (including Club Lexus members here) that have complained about Lexus dealers damaging vehicles while being serviced - car wash scratches, oil/grease smudges on interior, leather damage, instrument cluster scratches, wheel or body curb rash, door dings, fender scraps, scratches from overhead hoses drug across paint, wheel scratches, etc., etc. Not that it happens often, but probably for every one person that complains about some sort of damage that has occurred, there will be twenty people that never even notices the damage...or they don't report it.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-02-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 02:42 PM
SSTG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most Lexus dealerships' service departments do very good work, but you'll find plenty of people (including Club Lexus members here) that have complained about Lexus dealers damaging vehicles while being serviced - car wash scratches, oil/grease smudges on interior, leather damage, instrument cluster scratches, wheel or body curb rash, door dings, fender scraps, scratches from overhead hoses drug across paint, wheel scratches, etc., etc. Not that it happens often, but probably for every one person that complains about some sort of damage that has occurred, there will be twenty people that never even notices the damage...or they don't report it.
Agreed, I've read the horror stories. They (Shops) are very careful with my cars, part of the reason I'm sure, is the pristine condition they are in to begin with. Then after they talk to me for a few minutes it becomes very clear what I expect.

I'm sure it aggravates some but I got over that a long time ago. A scratch, ding or dent will last a lot longer than hurt feelings.

In the end, there are faults on both sides. Merchants for what they do or don't do and consumers for what they allow.
Old 12-02-15, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default Costco tires damaged my wheels

The quality of service from a Lexus dealer varies greatly from dealer to dealer. Some are great, some are awful. Mine is pretty good.

Once I get through the free services I will be taking the LS to my independent mechanic same as I have all my other Lexus vehicles. Not as fancy, but cheaper and they do take the quality care of my vehicle that I'm looking for.
Old 12-02-15, 04:53 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sure there would be many tire dealers/shops (even the best ones) that would say they could not guarantee there will be absolutely no damage at all...and that if you are that picky you might want to visit another tire dealer/shop. No shop wants to make $25-$50 net profit on the sale of four mounted and balanced tires and then have to deal with an owner that complains about small nicks from the lug socket inside the wheel's lug holes and expects it to be made new again.
I don't buy that for a second. I've worked on cars for 45 years, taken many wheels and tires on and off cars and never damaged one. Anyone who makes their living doing it has to be able to cover any damage they do. This is not rocket science.

I agree that I would not ask them to repair minor nicks inside the lug holes, but they still can be avoided if they are careful.
Old 12-02-15, 05:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I just returned from having dinner at a local restaurant. As I drove home on city streets I probably was within 100 feet of close to a thousand vehicles of all sorts; with close to half of them being luxury vehicles (Lexus, M-B, BMW, Jaguar, Maserati, Infiniti, Audi, Porsche, Land Rover, etc.), including my neighbor's Bentley. I'd say that fewer than three of those owners (probably none of them) give a rat's butt if their wheel's lug wells are nicked or scratched. Considering that to be true, it is no wonder that the tire dealers, auto shops and car dealerships (except for maybe Porsche, Maserati, McLaren, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce) are not going to go out of their way to treat every owner's wheels with the same care that a diamond cutter gives his craft.
Old 12-03-15, 02:46 PM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that I would not ask them to repair minor nicks inside the lug holes, but they still can be avoided if they are careful.[/QUOTE]

I would have let it go if it was one wheel but we're talking 3 of 4 with scrapes on the outside of wheel also.
Attached Thumbnails Costco tires damaged my wheels-att_1448935164636_20151130_063517.jpg  
Old 12-03-15, 03:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
I agree that I would not ask them to repair minor nicks inside the lug holes, but they still can be avoided if they are careful.

I would have let it go if it was one wheel but we're talking 3 of 4 with scrapes on the outside of wheel also.
pacmanmmc - This is the first time you have even mentioned scraps on the outside of the wheels, e.g. the spokes! The picture in your first post only showed a nick in the lug well whereas the picture in your last post showed a scrape on the spoke. Why did you never mention the scrapes on the spokes until now?
Old 12-03-15, 05:34 PM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased some tires from Costco and I noticed they scratched my oem wheels during the installation.
I will be contacting them today for resolution. Anyone else have the same issue with Costco?
This is my original. I didn't get too specific but I did say scratched and I only included one photo of the 8 that I took. I submitted all my photos to Costco with my report.
Old 12-03-15, 05:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

This is my original. I didn't get too specific but I did say scratched and I only included one photo of the 8 that I took. I submitted all my photos to Costco with my report.
You did not do yourself any favors by posting just the one picture of a nick in the lug well... You should have represented the damage more fully that would have accurately portrayed the damage.
Old 12-03-15, 06:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

My Lexus dealer nicked my wheel when they replace a tire too.
Old 12-03-15, 07:30 PM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

You may be correct bc but my point wasn't to showcase the damage but merely to find out if others have issues with Costco tire center and whether there was any resolution. I do see your point though.
Old 12-03-15, 09:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

You may be correct bc but my point wasn't to showcase the damage but merely to find out if others have issues with Costco tire center and whether there was any resolution. I do see your point though.
Long time ago before I knew any better I had Costco attempt an install of some Chrome Pony wheels..

They managed to destroy half the chrome bead with their machine..

Their claims dept paid for an entire knew wheel and kept the damaged once once the new one arrived..

Needless to say I did not have them to attempt it again..

Now I goto professionals

Joe Z
Old 12-04-15, 08:38 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter how small the damage may seem, we should never spend a single ounce of energy defending any type of shoddy work from any mechanic.
Old 12-04-15, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
No matter how small the damage may seem, we should never spend a single ounce of energy defending any type of shoddy work from any mechanic.
I agree. Expecting your car to survive repair un damaged is not too much to expect.