GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Costco tires damaged my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 03:27 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Costco tires damaged my wheels

I recently purchased some tires from Costco and I noticed they scratched my oem wheels during the installation.
I will be contacting them today for resolution. Anyone else have the same issue with Costco?
Attached Thumbnails Costco tires damaged my wheels-20151129_170353.jpg  
Old 11-30-15, 04:59 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by pacmanmmc
I recently purchased some tires from Costco and I noticed they scratched my oem wheels during the installation.
I will be contacting them today for resolution. Anyone else have the same issue with Costco?
Nope but def had an issue with town fair tire, the good thing is you can get those re-finished.
Old 11-30-15, 05:37 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't be taking my Lexus to Costco, Sam's Club, Walmart, or Pep Boys, etc. to install tires or to perform any major maintenance on my car. It's just too much of a gamble given the level of their mechanics and equipment. Sorry for your damage. I'm guessing they will deny they had anything to do with it. Luckily the damage appears to be minor and should buff out OK.

Last edited by rjm; 11-30-15 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-30-15, 06:01 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

There is damage to 3 of the 4 wheels but all to the same extent. First time dealing with their tire department and last. I thought the $1000 for the michelin primacy tires were a good deal so I went with it.
I'm now sitting at the lexus dealership because I'm hearing grinding from rear passenger side tire.
Oh boy !
Old 11-30-15, 11:55 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

tire techs not caring and or paying attention to what they are doing...if they will pay for a refinish then good luck... have them powder coated...
Old 11-30-15, 12:14 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The Lexus dealership in Atlanta price matches. Should call your local dealership next time.
Old 11-30-15, 05:50 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
The Lexus dealership in Atlanta price matches. Should call your local dealership next time.
Ours does the same.
Old 11-30-15, 09:15 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem when I used to get my tires replaced at WalMart. Now I only go to reputable places that specialize in tires. Or the dealer.
Old 12-01-15, 05:31 AM
pacmanmmc
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus for a price match and they said they don't do it even though I saw an add that says they will. I didn't bother to argue and went elsewhere. My mistake.
I filled out a report with Costco administration. We'll see where it gets me. Wasn't easy to get to that point but they admitted it was their mistake but said it's common and basically I should let it go.
Old 12-01-15, 09:54 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't accept a rotisserie chicken as compensation.
You deserve better.
Old 12-01-15, 03:08 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to think Costco will make good on this....

Costco isn't the only place that is capable of damaging your car....there are tons of reports of people taking their car to the Lexus dealer and having stuff scratched and damaged
Old 12-01-15, 03:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I have to think Costco will make good on this....

Costco isn't the only place that is capable of damaging your car....there are tons of reports of people taking their car to the Lexus dealer and having stuff scratched and damaged
In my view it would be rare to find a tire dealer/shop that would be oh so very careful as to not damage the area around the lug nuts with their impact wrench sockets and torque bars. 99.5% of the vehicles they work on are owned by people that never even look at their wheels...much less inspect the inside of the lug housing for nicks. If I was expecting absolute perfection (with no trace that the wheels had even been touched) I would let them know ahead of time what I was expecting, and ask if they could accommodate me and perform that exceptional level of service. If they agreed that they could, then they would know exactly what I was expecting.
Old 12-01-15, 03:37 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

I had similar damage on my F-sport wheels from a reputable tire shop. When I complained to the manager, he said this is normal due to their power tools. He said he would pay for touch up paint, but wouldn't pay for the rim to be refinished. He said to request for him next time, and he will not use the power tools and take extra care.

I'm thinking Costco will not pay to get the rim to be refinished since that is common and isn't that noticeable since its mostly inside the lug housing.
Old 12-01-15, 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts
Default Costco tires damaged my wheels

This kind of damage happens all the time. Doesn't make it right, but it does happen all the time.

I just had tires put on the LS and to my surprise for the first time ever the car was returned to me with not one chip or mark on the wheels.
Old 12-01-15, 04:45 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also had them break off a stud and try to divert the blame of it being cross-threaded on me, eventually got them to pay for a shop to fix it. Obviously it's much too difficult to hand-thread the lugnut on, first.

Quick Reply: Costco tires damaged my wheels