Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 09:35 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Rattles

I have a couple of rattles in my GS.

I think that one of them is coming from the passenger door. It is more of a clicking sound kind of, than a rattle. Maybe as if the door panel isn't tightly attached so it moves back and forth a little and clicks.

The other rattle is from the cupholder area.

I took this car to my dealer and they fixed another rattle from the passenger door (claimed it was a screw in the speaker that had fallen out?), but it was replaced by this new clicking rattle. They also claimed they did something to the cupholder to fix it, but it didn't work.

My question is, does anyone know how the door panels are attached to the car? I was thinking that if it is attached by a few screws I will try tightening those up myself before I go back to the dealer. It would be great if it was just attached too loosely and I could fix it myself.

Also, has anyone had these issues and does anyone know how to fix them? Easy DIY? I think I have seen others mention the cupholder rattle.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-15, 08:20 AM
slainla
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The wood trim on the passenger side dash has developed a bit of a creaking noise and rattle. I only started to hear it recently now that the temperature is colder. I didn't hear it during the summer and the noise goes away after driving it a little, most likely due to the expansion of the plastic clips or whatever. I think the driver's side door's wood trim is also starting to do that.
Old 12-04-15, 06:50 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I have a couple of rattles in my GS.

I think that one of them is coming from the passenger door. It is more of a clicking sound kind of, than a rattle.
Check your passenger side seat belt to be sure it isn't making contact with the trim causing a "clicking sound".
Old 12-04-15, 07:24 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars rattle....some more then others....

As I progressed into nicer cars over the years I noticed the quieter they got, the more I could hear rattles....

Turn up your stereo and enjoy the drive
Old 12-04-15, 12:53 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks for all the input.

I will check the passenger seat belt.

I still haven't had someone else drive while I sit in the passenger seat to better identify the rattle over there.

And yes, I agree, the quieter cabin makes it easier to hear rattles. And I know that cars rattle, and you have to live with some of it. But these two in particular I can hear when I hit minor bumps. The cupholder rattle can even happen when I'm on pavement that is just a little less than smooth. When I hit minor bumps the rest of the car is silent and these two areas are making noise, so I feel like they can/should be fixed, and I think that is fair and realistic. When I hit a bigger bump I hear noise from other places, but I don't expect the car to be quiet when I hit larger bumps. That would definitely be unrealistic.

Also, vinnier, I see you are in Dallas. Just taking a guess here, but I bet PA roads are worse than TX roads, so you probably tend to hear the rattles more frequently here! Damn winters!
Old 12-04-15, 01:00 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My 15 was rattling after a few months whenever the bass kicked in.
Try this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...el-rattle.html

To test, press down firmly on the drivers side, or in your case, the passenger side window controls with loud music on and see if it eliminates the rattle.

Hope this helps
Old 12-04-15, 01:06 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks man, I'll give it a shot!
Old 12-04-15, 04:50 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a rattle in my cup holder...I pulled the piece out and padded it up with some felt....
Old 12-04-15, 10:01 PM
Voogru
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Try using the "Rattle Acoustics Dampener - Inside & Outside" option installed in the car. Check manual.
Old 12-05-15, 08:47 AM
ironcondor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAHT
My 15 was rattling after a few months whenever the bass kicked in.
Try this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...el-rattle.html

To test, press down firmly on the drivers side, or in your case, the passenger side window controls with loud music on and see if it eliminates the rattle.

Hope this helps
Thanks for this!!! I just got my GS last month and the rattles with some music were coming from the driver side window switches. I'm going to try what was suggested in that thread.
Old 12-05-15, 09:45 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem
Glad I could help. For me the rattles didnt completely go away with 2 small pieces so I had to cut a piece out that fit the entire length of the switch panel.
Please let us know how it goes

MEAHT
Old 12-06-15, 09:03 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I had a rattle in my cup holder...I pulled the piece out and padded it up with some felt....
When you say you "pulled the piece out," do you mean the cup separator piece? I actually didn't even know that was removable until about a week ago, but I pulled it out and the noise still exists with the piece removed.
Old 12-08-15, 03:03 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I think it will drive me crazy if my $56k car is rattling after a year. I was always under the impression that expensive cars like MB, BMW and Lexuseses weren't supposed to have rattles at a young age.
Old 12-08-15, 04:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,513 Posts

My 2013 is solid as a rock - just like the entire car is molded out of a solid piece of material.
Old 12-08-15, 09:34 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by situman
I think it will drive me crazy if my $56k car is rattling after a year. I was always under the impression that expensive cars like MB, BMW and Lexuseses weren't supposed to have rattles at a young age.
My thoughts exactly. It is not a cheap car, it shouldn't have rattles when it is still relatively close to new. Although mine is basically three years old now, not one. Part of the reason I went with Lexus is because they keep out the road noise so well (love how quiet it is), but if it's replaced with rattles then what's the point? Haha. I had two cars before this, 2003 BMW 540i (no major rattles I can recall but plenty of repair bills lol) and 2001 Honda Accord (lots of rattles, but hey, it's a 14 year old Honda, I expect and can live with that).

Anyway, love the car in general and I'm really not trying to complain about it. I just want to try to fix these if I can to make it even a bit better.

Bclexus, mine is very solid and quiet other than these two areas that rattle on small bumps. That is part of the reason I believe it can and should be fixed... Certainly if the other three doors are silent then this one should be as well.

Have yet to investigate Meaht's suggestion, will post once I have a chance to listen for rattle from the passenger window control panel, but at the moment I suspect that is not it. But I did hear that rattle on my driver's door when I had my music cranked way up the other day! I rarely have it at that loud a volume, so I don't care about that one unless it gets worse, but at least I know how to fix it now.

Last edited by CottageChz; 12-08-15 at 09:40 PM.