GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Honest opinion on the 2013 Gs350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 09:19 AM
MNGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest opinion on the 2013 Gs350 F Sport

Hi Guys, I currently own an old 02 Es300 that I bought nearly new and has been a very solid car. Its over 200k now and I am looking to replace it with a 2013 GS350 AWD F sport package. I found a very clean one with lower mileage and under $35k. After much search it seems like the redesign has been very positive for the most part with exception of the 6 speed and maybe a little more HP would have been nice.

For those that own one, what are your thoughts on it? Specifically what are the downsides of the vehicle that you have experienced?

Just so you know, I am not only concerned with just performance, I love that the fact that this vehicle may fit the bill for Reliability, Good Looks, and Performance.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-04-15, 10:55 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

These threads may help you find some good info. on folks who have the f-sport version of the GS: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ts-please.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0-f-sport.html

Personally, I drove premium, f-sport and luxury versions before deciding to buy the premium version. For me and the the types of roads here in NYC, paying the extra for the f-sport/luxury version didn't make $$$ sense. Also, some of the more impressive driving related features are found in the RWD-only F Sport model: very "sticky" staggered wheels/tires, Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Dynamic Rear Steering are RWD model options only. Unfortunately not very easy to find in my neck of the woods.

The consensus is that if you like the looks and presence of the f-sport, go for that. If you are even a tiny bit inclined to push your car hard through quick acceleration, twisty roads, etc. then the F-Sport will leave you grinning. Very few drawbacks to any version of the GS - my biggest gripe has been overall city gas mileage but thats a whole other thread!
Old 12-04-15, 11:05 AM
MNGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, I will read through those posts. Thanks for the input as well!
Old 12-04-15, 01:03 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have a 2013 luxury AWD. I looked at the F-Sports, but for me, I didn't like the aluminum trim, and most of the F-Sport advantages are negated with the AWD package, and I need AWD. If I lived somewhere where I was comfortable with RWD year round I would have given F-Sport a much harder look. I do like the F-Sport appearance more, but only a little bit more. The rest of the cars look almost the same, and still look great. I am pleased with the vehicle so far, no problems at all other than a minor rattle or two in the cabin that I am trying to figure out. I think it is a great mix of performance, good looks, and reliability.

I would agree with the gripe on gas milage. But hey, you know that going into it, and for a car of this price I would say you are hopefully not too worried about gas. Let's just say it would just be a nice bonus if it got better gas milage There is always the hybrid option too, though they are hard to find. Other than gas milage, which is a very minor complaint, nothing negative comes to mind at the moment.
Old 12-05-15, 06:05 AM
MNGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I don't really care about gas mileage. My other vehicle is a 13 Ram Quad Cab with a 5.7l. Although it has an 8 speed, the mileage is terrible around town. Fun to drive for a pickup, I think it does 0-60 in the high 6 seconds or so. Anyway, I think I agree with you on the interior, I like the wood and the luxury look better, however the exterior seems to be considerably more bland than the F-Sport. I also like the different suspension settings and engine/trans tuning that the F sport offers.

I do see that some non F Sports have the rear spoiler, that sure makes it look a lot better IMO. Just enough more of the sport look to satisfy me I think. Is that something that could be added pretty easy? Is that a specific appearance package or just an al a carte add on?

How would you rate the engine and trans performance? Does this car give you that addicting need to get into the pedal?
Old 12-05-15, 06:27 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The luxury package also gives you the adjustable suspension (including Sport S+) albeit it being tuned less aggressively than on the F-Sport. The spoiler is a dealer add on and you can find them almost anywhere. I tend to drive in manual mode often and keen the rpms high. Puts a grin on my face every time I gun it.
Old 12-05-15, 06:32 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, the luxury is probably the best all around one to get, I was only interested in the f sport myself, but I bought new and have very specific wants....

The luxury will serve a more wide set of desires while not giving up much more then the sport side of the car
Old 12-05-15, 09:56 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I wish my F Sport had fog lights. Beside that, I love my 2013 the way it is.
Old 12-05-15, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Its a great car, not a lot of negatives.

Fuel mileage isn't great. Engine could be a little more refined/smooth feeling.

But like I said, it is a great car.
Old 12-05-15, 12:53 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MNGS350F
Hi Guys, I currently own an old 02 Es300 that I bought nearly new and has been a very solid car. Its over 200k now and I am looking to replace it with a 2013 GS350 AWD F sport package. I found a very clean one with lower mileage and under $35k. After much search it seems like the redesign has been very positive for the most part with exception of the 6 speed and maybe a little more HP would have been nice.

For those that own one, what are your thoughts on it? Specifically what are the downsides of the vehicle that you have experienced?

Just so you know, I am not only concerned with just performance, I love that the fact that this vehicle may fit the bill for Reliability, Good Looks, and Performance.

Thanks in advance!
Most people prefer the 6, over the 8 speed, from what I've read...
Old 12-05-15, 02:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Most people prefer the 6, over the 8 speed, from what I've read...
Add me to that group. I had an '15 F-Sport loaner for a few days and while I did like the 8 speed for cruising around town, I missed the 6 speed quite considerably. The first and second gear of the 8 speed are clearly ratio'd for efficiency IMO, or at least that's what translates to me whenever I left it in auto and gunned it. It's a refined transmission though. I had no other problems with it.
Old 12-05-15, 06:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Plain and simple... great car! I kept mine for almost 3 years, and I usually don't hold onto cars that long. I only traded because I wanted to go back to a coupe. I had a '13 GS F Sport and it was just great all around.
Old 12-06-15, 09:08 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
Honestly, the luxury is probably the best all around one to get, I was only interested in the f sport myself, but I bought new and have very specific wants....

The luxury will serve a more wide set of desires while not giving up much more then the sport side of the car
My thoughts exactly. That's why I went with the luxury package. It has the Sport+ like the F-sport (not quite as aggressively tuned, but it still counts in my book) plus tons of other great features.
Old 12-06-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Yeah to me the luxury package is the one to get.
Old 12-06-15, 03:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I got the premium version even though I had originally gone in to sign papers on an F sport. I love my GS and with the money I saved by getting a non f sport, I was able to get the wheels I wanted plus do the mods I planned, and still have money left over. I added the oem factory spoiler myself and it cost under $300 to do that mod. I plan to swap out my front bumper to an f sport bumper because I do like the aggressive look of it over the premium luxury model. Another upside to getting a non f sport is fog lights! Ultimately the decision is yours. I've been driving my GS (with 20" wheels) in the city the last few fill ups and still average 22.5-23.8 mpg, so mpg isn't that bad.

Quick Reply: Honest opinion on the 2013 Gs350 F Sport