GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Upper back pain

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 08:38 AM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same issue on a Maxima I used to own. The upper back pain was due to having to "reach" for the wheel, didnt go away till I made adjustments to lower and bring the wheel close to my chest. You already said you pull the wheel back towards you, now its time to set the back of the seat more perpendicular to the floor in the L shape and not \_. Also try to lower the steering wheel, I keep mines on the lowest setting without crushing me legs...

hope this helps and please keep us updated
MEAHT
Old 12-15-15, 10:13 AM
volkov
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that my GS F sport seat is the most comfortable of any car I have owned. 8 hour drive home from the dealer I felt completely fresh with no issues. That being said, all bodies are different.
Upper back pain is more commonly seat position than the actual seat as noted above. Lower back is more complicated. I like to be close to the steering wheel and far from the pedals and for long drives I like to be lazy and rest my elbows while at 9 and 3. The GS just meets my comfort limit although I do occasionally hit my knee on the column. It's the reason I quickly dismissed the A6 - I couldn't get a relaxed position. I don't know why these luxury brands don't have pedal adjustment. My 04 Yukon XL does - with memory!! Most have quite limited fore aft steering adjustment for air bag liability issues ( there has to be a minimum distance with seat all the way forward and wheel all the way out). So to keep that 5' driver safe, 6 footers have to balance reaching for the wheel against sitting with their knees bent around the column. Pedal adjust addresses that issue.
Old 03-14-16, 05:43 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

This is old now, but to the original poster - I sometimes get upper back pain as I mentioned in an earlier post. Today I pushed the steering wheel further away from me (towards the dashboard) and it seemed to make a big difference!

I think before the steering wheel was too close and would kind of push me back into the seat, and my shoulder blades push back around the edges of the seat, if that makes sense. Anyway, it seems better now. Give this a try!
Old 03-14-16, 08:34 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

How's your driving posture?

Old 11-09-18, 07:36 AM
rostam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this severe pain in my scapula as well. I am 6'4" and have had my GS for 2 months now. I didn't have this pain with my old car. The pain only flares up after my morning and evening commmute. As the commute goes on, my pain increases to the point of unbearability. It is a linear pain progression. My commute is one hour. The pain comes on at 10 minutes in and increases from there. I have tried every seating position possible. Super close to the steering wheel, far away back from wheel, sitting upright, leaning back. Nothing is comfortable. I really like the vehicle but I'm probably going to have to take a loss on it. I thought i was the only one with this problem. Glad that the forum has confirmed my suspicions. I don't have any adjustable side bolsters. Alas...
Old 11-09-18, 07:57 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm 6'4 also and similarly could not get comfortable. It took me a literal full year of playing with so many different possible seating positions before I finally got comfortable. Literally a year. I got mine in November 2017. It's November 2018 and within the last few days is when I finally found a good position.

I've done many long drives in this car in the year that I've had it and there has been a lot of pain, suffering & frustration with the seating position. I was getting pretty disappointed. I too really like the GS but was worried that it just wasn't going to work out due to the seating position. Now that I've finally gotten comfortable, I've been enjoying driving it more than I ever have and feel like I'm falling in love all over again. I've had a few moments of "wow this seat is amazing" too, so it's definitely the seating position that's crucial here.

I feel like the seat height in its lowest position is way too high. I've had IS loaners that have a way bigger range of seat height adjustment. I can lower it so much in an IS that I have acres of headroom whereas my hair is typically touching the roof in the GS. Not only that but the steering wheel doesn't extend out as far as I think is necessary. I also feel like the pedal positions (including dead pedal) are partly to blame. I've never driven a car before, including other Lexuses, that have such a unique seating position.

As simple as it sounds, sitting pretty upright and sitting closer to the wheel is what did the trick. It's not what I'm used to, but I'm liking it more and more. It feels like I'm forced to sit with perfect posture. If I do, it's extremely comfortable. If my posture starts to slack, I start feeling discomfort.
Old 11-09-18, 09:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by rostam
I have this severe pain in my scapula as well. I am 6'4" and have had my GS for 2 months now. I didn't have this pain with my old car. The pain only flares up after my morning and evening commmute. As the commute goes on, my pain increases to the point of unbearability. It is a linear pain progression. My commute is one hour. The pain comes on at 10 minutes in and increases from there. I have tried every seating position possible. Super close to the steering wheel, far away back from wheel, sitting upright, leaning back. Nothing is comfortable. I really like the vehicle but I'm probably going to have to take a loss on it. I thought i was the only one with this problem. Glad that the forum has confirmed my suspicions. I don't have any adjustable side bolsters. Alas...
The scapula is a bone in your back that connects the upper arm (humerus) to the collar bone (clavicle). The scapula floats on top of the back's rib cage as it moves. I personally have never heard of anyone complain about pain in the scapula region caused by a car seat regardless of the size of the person. At 6' 4" your arm/shoulder area is higher in the seat than the average person, however that should not be a factor because when driving a person's shoulders are usually in a neutral position (somewhere between retraction and protraction) and the scapula is not supported by, nor pressed into, the seat. Driving may provoke or lead to some pain, but I think the actual cause of your pain came from something other than your seat.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-09-18 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 09:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzakiel
I'm tall - 6'2" and every time I drive my GS for a while I get this achey pain in my upper back and shoulders, and sometimes neck. Sometimes it get quite bad. I even have had chest pain (muscular-feeling). I've never heard anyone complain about it so maybe I am doing it wrong. I don't have the luxury seats, just the normal adjustments like back and forward, lumbar.

Sitting in the car feels ok at first but after a while I get the sensation that I can't straighten my back and neck completely and relax. Feels like I am being pulled backwards and reachin for the wheel.

Any pointers?

I keep the wheel pulled all the way back towards me and the seat gently reclined back, with lumbar support at almost none (tried having it noticeable and it felt worse or the same) and the back of seat all the way down.
When I take relatively long trips I normally recline the seat back as far as I can where I don't have to stretch to reach the wheel, I rest my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel so I don't have to stretch my arm out and keep it stretched for long periods of time. Using cruise control can help with fatigue but I am in pretty good shape and never really had to deal with back issues or soreness from long trips. You may want to take a Aleve, Asprin, or some kind of muscle relaxer before a long trip just in case, also make sure you have enough Potassium and Magnesium in your diet to help with sore muscles.

Old 11-13-18, 07:38 AM
rostam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed the problem. I gave the car to my wife. Its a win-win. She upgraded from Altima and I have no back pain.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (11-13-18)
Old 11-21-18, 11:22 AM
430Chuck
Driver School Candidate

Im 6'4" and had a double fusion of the lower back two years ago and I drive a 2016 GS 350 F Sport. After surgery it was too painful to sit in the seats of the GS. I bought a memory foam seat cushion from the Relax the Back Store for $150 and now I bale to enjoy the car once again. Its worth trying before getting ride of your car.
Old 07-07-21, 03:08 AM
lindaket
Driver School Candidate

Default seat

It might be because of the seat... See this, some more info about back pain.
Old 07-08-21, 09:23 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 561 Likes on 329 Posts

It’s definitely a seat issue. I drive my mother’s C350 and I don’t get any back aches at all.

I believe our seats are missing some extra padded cushion, there’s an empty void which makes our backs ache.
Old 07-09-21, 01:48 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I used to get a really bad back pain on my 2014 GS after a fairly short drive (under 2 hours) but they changed the seat design with this 2019 GS and I haven't had any back pain even after 6+ hours driving.
Old 07-09-21, 02:08 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

@ItzFilyO i have had a similar experience to you. I had a 2013 luxury package and while all the adjustments were sweet, I would get upper back pain. Have a 2017 base now and I think something changed with the seats because I don’t really have the same back pain anymore.
Old 07-09-21, 05:28 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
@ItzFilyO i have had a similar experience to you. I had a 2013 luxury package and while all the adjustments were sweet, I would get upper back pain. Have a 2017 base now and I think something changed with the seats because I don’t really have the same back pain anymore.
Yeah and if u notice our seats now have more lines/ridges on the backside and I think they made a difference, not just for show. The IS/RC seats are comfy for long drives too but the GS is still the king.

2013-15 Seats

2016+ Seats

IS/RC Seats