GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield is soooo fragile...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 11:21 AM
jayemko
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cezar9
Has anyone considered a protective windshield film?
I would not use any film on the windshield as the film will deteriorate over time and impede your visibility.

The microscopic surface of a windshield isn't flat, there are peaks and valleys. When a rock impacts the glass, catching one of these peaks, it causes the glass to chip. A sharper-angled windshield (like a Prius) allows the rock to deflect off the peak much easier, think: a rock skipping on water. More perpendicular windshields, like a Jeep or a van don't allow the rock to catch these peaks on impact, which is why they don't have more rock chips than we do. Our windshields are likely at the least-optimal angle for the rock's impact. The "smoother" the glass, the less the rock can catch, resulting in the decreased likelihood of a crack on impact. This is how Rain-X works, it fills in the cracks so water cannot catch on the surface and just rolls on by.

I WOULD however, recommend looking into a product called Diamon-Fusion. It is a product originally used to protect the windows on skyscrapers that is being used on cars. This stuff is ridiculous and almost seems like witchcraft, no joke. Check out the demos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=diamon+fusion), especially the bb gun and the mud.

I used to work at a Honda dealer that sold this product in F&I, so I have no idea where to get it done now. I had forgotten all about it until I read this post, thank you for reminding me. Now I gotta find an installer/distributer in Seattle to do my GS, and the glass showers in our new house.
Old 12-21-15, 01:24 PM
cezar9
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jayemko
I would not use any film on the windshield as the film will deteriorate over time and impede your visibility.

The microscopic surface of a windshield isn't flat, there are peaks and valleys. When a rock impacts the glass, catching one of these peaks, it causes the glass to chip. A sharper-angled windshield (like a Prius) allows the rock to deflect off the peak much easier, think: a rock skipping on water. More perpendicular windshields, like a Jeep or a van don't allow the rock to catch these peaks on impact, which is why they don't have more rock chips than we do. Our windshields are likely at the least-optimal angle for the rock's impact. The "smoother" the glass, the less the rock can catch, resulting in the decreased likelihood of a crack on impact. This is how Rain-X works, it fills in the cracks so water cannot catch on the surface and just rolls on by.

I WOULD however, recommend looking into a product called Diamon-Fusion. It is a product originally used to protect the windows on skyscrapers that is being used on cars. This stuff is ridiculous and almost seems like witchcraft, no joke. Check out the demos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=diamon+fusion), especially the bb gun and the mud.

I used to work at a Honda dealer that sold this product in F&I, so I have no idea where to get it done now. I had forgotten all about it until I read this post, thank you for reminding me. Now I gotta find an installer/distributer in Seattle to do my GS, and the glass showers in our new house.
Please let me know if you find a good installer because I am also in the Seattle area.
Old 12-21-15, 02:11 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by cezar9
Please let me know if you find a good installer because I am also in the Seattle area.
U don't install diamond fusion, u apply it. It's almost like those Rain X water repellent thing. These things only repel liquids and won't stop any rock chips.

If ur traveling at 80 MPH and a rock hits u it would leave a mark guaranteed. No chemicals can stop that unless u put another piece of glass on ur windshield.
Old 12-21-15, 04:47 PM
cezar9
Driver

there is an auto tinting place in Bellevue that offers the following product:
ClearPlex®

Invisible Windshield Protection Film
Complete your Vehicle Protection System with the best protection that you will never see—the patent-pending ClearPlex® by Madico. What is it? A clear window film applied to the exterior of your windshield.

However, I am not sure how good it is or if there are any better options.
Old 12-21-15, 07:15 PM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had some of the same issues as stated above. I've owned my GS for 6 months, maybe 7, and have 4,759 miles on the odometer and the windshield is pitted pretty good. Mine seems to be focused mainly around the rear view mirror than anywhere else.

I had considered having it replaced and then having a clear bra type material installed. Anyone try something like this? Is it worth it?
Old 12-22-15, 09:01 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

So I got my second rock chip this afternoon. Now I have to go get it fixed. I hate this! My 10 RX350 has close to 105k miles on it and it's been driven on the same roads as my GS yet it only has three very small chips, no cracks. I didn't even have to get them repaired because the damage is minimal and not needed.
Old 12-22-15, 09:50 PM
cezar9
Driver

Here is a forum about the Clearplex film I mentioned in one of my previous posts, people seem to be happy with it for the most part:
http://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-g...on-film-5.html
Not sure how much it costs or if there are better alternatives. I will call my local installer tomorrow to find out. One of my concerns is that it may not be able to withstand weekly car washes for long time.
Old 12-23-15, 07:11 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah. Imma need to have it replaced soon AGAIN as I got a small chip but if it ever decide to get cold, I am sure it will crack more.
Old 06-23-16, 08:46 PM
flyingdave
Driver School Candidate

Wife just took a rock that cracked the replacement windshield. That didn't take long.
Old 06-24-16, 05:09 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Definitely does, more glass surface area.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think it has something to do with the windshield profile, it's more squarish compared to say a Prius. I get more dead bugs on my GS windshield than on my Prius because of the almost flat windshield profile. Bugs and rocks just fly off on the Prius.

But the GS has 0.27 drag coefficient Vs. the Prius 0.26. The Tesla S has an even better 0.24 drag coefficient.

Old 06-24-16, 09:13 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At 6K miles while driving down the freeway a truck or car launched a rock and hit my windshield. It did not hit as hard as with my other cars but as soon as the rock hit the windshield I saw a crack. My dilemma, too small to replace and too big to avoid while driving. This is my second car in which the windshields are weak. I had a SAAB and went through four windshields in four years (maybe five) but I was living in Maryland and glass replacement was part of my insurance policy. But in California that is extra. I've also noticed with the limited mileage I've noticed much more nicks all over the glass. None of my past cars have exhibited such weakness. I remember my Infiniti M35 windshield got hit real hard and I suffered a small nick and after two years then nick never grew. I had to help it get bigger in order to replace glass for the new buyer. I've noticed scanning the forum that our car's windshields and paint are very weak. I'm noticing them daily. My son has a Kia Soul and his paint and glass seems much more superior than the Lexus. It's a 2014 and no dents, NO light paint scratches or windshield pitted as much as my 2015(Actually I have almost no swirls since I hand wash my car correctly). Also, I'm very please with the KIA paint job. Since 2014I've only clayed it once and after a light spray of water the paint looks brand new. Paint is shinny and smooth. I've already clayed my Lexus twice and use the AMMO four step car wash method (https://www.ammonyc.com/videos/)to wash/wax/seal but paint still is rough in places.
Old 06-25-16, 07:11 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I am on my third one now
Old 05-03-21, 08:28 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wuba dub dubb MF's

Old 05-03-21, 08:43 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

My windshield glistens in direct sunlight from inside the car, from all the small pitting. No other car I ever owned had this or was not as obvious to see as the GS.
Old 05-03-21, 08:57 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Very interesting discussion so far on this. I have a 2015 and my driving is 90% exclusively highway with about 55K miles and in all those years of driving the GS I have never experienced a single issue chip, crack or otherwise and if there was a place where this would happen frequently it would be the highway and on Chicagoland roads no less.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 05-03-21 at 08:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: Windshield is soooo fragile...