GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Eco vs Normal mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-15, 09:12 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eco vs Normal mode?

Hi there, i've had my GS for just over a month and love it (though i still wonder what the A6 with a chip and pulley would have felt like). Anyways, what exactly does the Eco mode do? and how does it differ from just the regular mode?

is the throttle curve changed? Does it dial back on heating/AC? i know it will turn on the seat warmers automatically if it's cold enough...

Thanks
Old 12-23-15, 09:14 AM
Beer4me
Driver School Candidate

Changes the throttle map. Don't EVER EVER use ECO mode. Turns the car into a turd. Srsly. I used it once, and I'm still trying to get all the ***** out of the exhaust.
Old 12-23-15, 09:31 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also keeps it in a taller gear preventing it from down shifting to lower gears longer to help fuel economy...Eco is all about fuel economy....normal is a compromise....sport is where it's at, I wish the car would default to the last thing you had it set on so when I start the car up it was already in sport
Old 12-23-15, 10:08 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The throttle response is very slow in ECO mode. Good if you're driving around grandma and grandpa or have a cake in the trunk. Not good if you have to merge into traffic.
Old 12-23-15, 11:02 AM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer4me
I used it once, and I'm still trying to get all the ***** out of the exhaust.

clearly you are exaggerating here.

I can't tell the difference between eco and normal except for the cute little green light that tells me when i'm feathering it.

it's either eco or sport + for me.
Old 12-23-15, 11:12 AM
Beer4me
Driver School Candidate

Maybe slightly because there is no actual poo, but ECO doesn't move the car at all for me. '15 GS350 Fsport here.

I toggle between normal and sport. Rarely use Sport +, and never use ECO. Then you ask, "why even buy the Fsport then?" Because I prefer the styling of it over the base GS.
Old 12-23-15, 12:05 PM
DVADER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had the car for a week and drive it 99% of the time in eco mode. Honestly its more than enough of a car in this mode for me. eco mode is suppose to conserve gas, heat/ac functions, looser steering wheel feel, softer suspension feel and change the shifts.

whats sad is that i have 180 miles on the car and im only average about 11.8mpg (12.4mpg since refueling) so far with an average speed of 10mph

Last edited by DVADER; 12-23-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 03:18 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a clear, discernable, detectable difference between Eco and Normal. If you can't tell the difference there is something wrong with your car. The throttle response off the line is significantly different. Just as it is different between Normal and Sport.
Old 12-23-15, 05:39 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I kept my MBZ E350 Sport in ECO mode I got 29mpg but since having my Fsport for less than a month, ECO is a big let down. Getting around 22mpg. Today I drove from San Diego to my father's house in Santa Barbara (230 miles) and was elated when I saw 25.5mpg but only to be sad when , after nastey traffic, it dropped to 33.5mpg. Only time will tell if mpg improves. I barely have 700 miles on the ode.
Old 12-23-15, 06:54 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
There is a clear, discernable, detectable difference between Eco and Normal. If you can't tell the difference there is something wrong with your car. The throttle response off the line is significantly different. Just as it is different between Normal and Sport.
+1

If you're a keen driver, you should also be able to tell the difference between Sport and Sport+ mode too. When I drive, you don't even need to tell me what mode I'm currently in, because I can tell by how the throttle behaves and how the car responds to my steering.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 12-23-15, 07:43 PM
GSHLNMTR
Driver School Candidate

I've got about 2000 miles on my '15 F-Sport now. Concerned about the gas mileage, I left it in eco mode for about an hour's worth of driving. It had no profound effect, other than causing the car to be sluggish off the line, so I haven't really used it since. I am sure I will test it again though at some point.

Also, we have property in the mountains and I use Sport+ whenever we drive on the twisty roads in that area, and I usually do so in a somewhat spirited manner. In my previous car, this would scare my wife to death. She feels quite comfortable in the GS in sport+

Last edited by GSHLNMTR; 12-23-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 07:56 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I keep it in ECO when I commute to work or take long drives out of town. Helps conserve fuel.

Otherwise, it's Sport + on Sundays.
Old 12-24-15, 04:36 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Since yesterday when i started this thread ive kept it in regular mode and yes indeed there is a clear difference...to be honest itbhad either been eco or one of the sport modes for me...but i realize that regular mode is a nice medium
Old 12-24-15, 08:10 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Eco sucks in the summer as it limits the AC. If you're hard on the pedal you won't see much of a difference between Eco and Normal.

In the winter I do put it in Eco when the engine is not up to temp. In normal mode, the car idles higher and lunges forward harder when the engine is not up to temp.
Old 12-24-15, 10:31 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Eco works well on hilly highway terrain with the cruise on. It keeps it from unnecessarily downshifting. Other than that I've not found much use for it.

Quick Reply: Eco vs Normal mode?