GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS RWD Performence in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We don't get snow here in Dallas that often, and when we do it melts quickly. However, we had a major ice storm a couple of years ago and I drove my GS F Sport RWD for miles to a hotel because our power was out. I was careful, kept it on the Snow setting and didn't have any issues. Quattro AWD S5's that I've owned in the past have skidded on ice.
Old 01-06-16, 04:54 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have driven my 2014 GS350 Rwd in the snow last year during snowmageddon when we had that ice storm and after that two days of blizzards. Everyone was stuck at home then and power in my neighborhood went out. I was driving home from a business trip and made it home safely thanks to my Michelin Primacy MXM4s they were a life saver and did well in the snow. 50% of your cars ability to get around in snow is your driving skills and the other 40% is your tires and the other 10% is your cars drivetrain aka 4wd, awd, fwd, and rwd. During the drive home i mostly see people with 4wd and awd get into accidents because of either bad tires or bad driving skills and or over confidence. Now if I can get home in one piece during ICE storm and blizzard on a RWD and All season tires then I think you would do fine. Just use your head accelerate slowly and give yourself plenty of time to brake. Avoid people with AWD and going 40MPH+ in the snow/ice because they are the ones that will ruin your day if they skid and ram into you.
Old 01-06-16, 07:07 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It's not just driving in snow with summer tires - it is driving at all with summer tires when the temperature is below 40 degrees, wet or dry. Below 40 degrees summer tires become extremely dangerous because the tire's pliable tread in warm weather becomes a hard, slick surface. So, if you like driving on tires with Formica-like traction, you're likely in for a damaging and costly experience.
I think I just drive like a grandpa most of the time. I've never really had any issues with summer tires and below freezing temps. They can feel a bit hard at first, but they seem to warm up pretty fast after driving for a few minutes. Typically when it snows I like to go driving. It's usually a blast when your just playing around and not trying to get to work!
Old 01-07-16, 07:03 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I have driven my 2014 GS350 Rwd in the snow last year during snowmageddon when we had that ice storm and after that two days of blizzards. Everyone was stuck at home then and power in my neighborhood went out. I was driving home from a business trip and made it home safely thanks to my Michelin Primacy MXM4s they were a life saver and did well in the snow. 50% of your cars ability to get around in snow is your driving skills and the other 40% is your tires and the other 10% is your cars drivetrain aka 4wd, awd, fwd, and rwd. During the drive home i mostly see people with 4wd and awd get into accidents because of either bad tires or bad driving skills and or over confidence. Now if I can get home in one piece during ICE storm and blizzard on a RWD and All season tires then I think you would do fine. Just use your head accelerate slowly and give yourself plenty of time to brake. Avoid people with AWD and going 40MPH+ in the snow/ice because they are the ones that will ruin your day if they skid and ram into you.
Great words of advice.
Old 01-07-16, 08:44 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Drove my RWD F Sport once when we had days and days of snow and ice here. It was terrifying, and I'm very confident about driving in those conditions. Pulling out onto the street, which had 2 inches of fresh powder on it and slush underneath, at idle, the car started to pirouette before I even turned the wheel. Had snow mode on and everything. I learned that summer tires in snow is a very bad idea. I made it to my destination and back without issue but I parked it until more stuff cleared off.

In the past I've driven in worse conditions in a G35 sedan, 2 other RWD cars, and a dozen FWD cars, without issue. Maybe I should have waited longer for the engine to warm up because that high idle probably pushed me out.

Like Al13n said, it's 40% tires when it comes to winter driving. I may even bump that up to 60%.
Old 01-08-16, 07:51 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Like Al13n said, it's 40% tires when it comes to winter driving. I may even bump that up to 60%.
90%. Good winter tires makes ice seem like dry pavement.
Old 01-13-16, 02:01 PM
dhamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was also concerned about the snow (that turns into ice immediately here) after spending 9 hrs making my normally 25 min. trip home from work in 2014. For Christmas, I bought myself a pair of Thule K-Summit studded snow chains. Mind you, my former car was a Maxima with a set of Toyo high perf all-seasons on it and it did wonders in the snow. I was nervous about losing that capability, but couldn't find the right AWD that I liked.
Old 01-13-16, 02:15 PM
GSHLNMTR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Georgia RWD F-Sport owner here running summers through the winter. I just bought the car in November, so the tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE050a) are brand new. So far I have had no issues. Lows have been in the mid 20s. When it's time to change the tires out, i'll likely put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 one size wider.