Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 07:50 PM
Ravishah89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Upgrade

Hi everyone,

After I bought my 2013 GS350 AWD, I noticed the sound system wasn't that great. I'm not a bass head and nor am I trying to rattle the car next to me, I just want great sound. My old 08 A6 had Bose system in it, I was satisfied with sound, clarity, and bass. I'm looking for something comparable to that. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!!
Old 01-01-16, 10:23 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At first I was disappointed with the Mark Levinson sound because the music focused on the front speakers. In fact people sitting in the backseat couldn't hear the rear speakers. After tweaking fade from back and only leaving surround sound on the system is sounding better. My MBZ E-Class has the Harmon Kardon system and required little modification for a great sound.But today I played music (with all sound settings maxed out) from my I phone (6 S +) with only surround on and speakers fader set mostly on rear speakers prevailed. My ML finally sounds better than my Benz.
Old 01-01-16, 11:50 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 413 Likes on 251 Posts

Love my audiophile bros, we're very particular to our ears' taste.
I say if you have the coin, to go get some new mids and highs installed with a great sound processor. Huge difference, especially when time alignment kicks in. A tight sealed sub would suffice.
Old 01-02-16, 01:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 464 Likes on 308 Posts

There is a difference between hi-fi designed for the mass public versus hi-fi designed for audiophiles.

The public generally prefers a "boomy bass", whereas audiophiles generally prefer sound to be reproduced exactly like the original source.

Bose caters to the mass public for an artificial electronic boomy bass.
Mark Levinson is audiophile-grade, so ML aims to reproduce like the original source.

True audiophiles prefer most if the sound to come from the front, because the stage is at the front, and they want to reproduce the original.

Often the mass public likes to take advantage of the extra size, bass and loudness of the rear speakers, because there is more space available in the rear parcel shelf, but then the "staging" is at the rear.

In short, ML is actually audiohile-grade, and audiophile-grade is not exactly the same as the mass public, who often prefer a "boomy bass".

Eg, the mass public often like Bose's "cube" speaker system.
The Bose cube speakers contain small treble drivers, meanwhile the subwoofer produces the bass.
The public often like this boomy set up, however you'll often find that this set up is heavily criticized by audiophiles because there is NO midsize bookshelf speaker size to produce midrange frequencies for dialog, nor vocals!

Audiophiles want to know how well they can hear the flute, xylophone & cymbals, and in what direction it's coming from, and the "separation" ie clarity.

The mass public wants to hear the "boom".

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-02-16 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GregCanada (07-20-21)
Old 01-04-16, 09:41 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

The best sounding stereo I've heard was when I had my Challenger. I put one component speaker set up front with a 120 watt amp. No rear speakers, and a sub. It sounded better than stock systems claiming 1000 watts of power and 10-15 speakers.

Goes to show having multiple sets of speakers and hundreds of watts of power don't mean better sound.

Last edited by LexRuger; 01-04-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-04-16, 02:40 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexRuger
The best sounding stereo I've heard was when I had my Challenger. I put one component speaker set up front with a 120 watt amp. No rear speakers, and a sub. It sounded better than stock systems claiming 1000 watts of power and 10-15 speakers.

Goes to show having multiple sets of speakers and hundreds of watts of power don't mean better sound.
I would say that instead it only goes to show you preferred the set up you mentioned. There is much to be said of multiple speaker surround sound systems (both home and auto).

If you have the right sound source, the ML system is an extremely capable set up and get high marks over other car brand sound systems.
Old 07-20-21, 07:35 AM
RysLC500
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by peteharvey
There is a difference between hi-fi designed for the mass public versus hi-fi designed for audiophiles.

The public generally prefers a "boomy bass", whereas audiophiles generally prefer sound to be reproduced exactly like the original source.

Mark Levinson is audiophile-grade, so ML aims to reproduce like the original source.

True audiophiles prefer most if the sound to come from the front, because the stage is at the front, and they want to reproduce the original.

Often the mass public likes to take advantage of the extra size, bass and loudness of the rear speakers, because there is more space available in the rear parcel shelf, but then the "staging" is at the rear.

In short, ML is actually audiohile-grade, and audiophile-grade is not exactly the same as the mass public, who often prefer a "boomy bass".

The Bose cube speakers contain small treble drivers, meanwhile the subwoofer produces the bass.
The public often like this boomy set up, however you'll often find that this set up is heavily criticized by audiophiles because there is NO midsize bookshelf speaker size to produce midrange frequencies for dialog, nor vocals!

Audiophiles want to know how well they can hear the flute, xylophone & cymbals, and in what direction it's coming from, and the "separation" ie clarity.

Wow after reading that it reminded me of my physics class in college
Old 07-21-21, 06:07 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey

And all this time I thought I was an 'audiophile' with my Mac tube amp and Klipschorns ..... turns out I'm only a 'mass public' after all because I think the ML system sucks in separation clarity, sound stage reproduction and bass response. However, in fairness, it may have been the Rush concert in 1978 that ruined my hearing acuity
SammySnit (07-22-21)
Old 07-22-21, 05:38 AM
NickDangr
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RysLC500
Wow after reading that it reminded me of my physics class in college
That must have been a cool physics class. All they taught us was things like falling bodies and magnetic flux.
RysLC500 (07-22-21)
Old 07-23-21, 06:11 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 314 Likes on 196 Posts

After years of car forums to discuss automobile audio there is way too much subjectivity.
There is no right or wrong. Asking for opinions won’t solve this. If your not happy and have money to throw at it then do it.
Some people love music played thru great equipment but don’t enjoy great music, mostly great reproduction of what they like. Not a damn thing wrong with that.
I have spend years as a “sort of audiophile”. My thing is good equipment set up properly within reason. One an always buy something better and never be happy. I’m satisfied if I “Feel” (subjective) I have maxed out what I have. I have the same home speakers and AMP now about 17 years. Change the preamp processor and other black boxes every 5 years that feed it. My listening habits have changed also. Little time to sit and critically listen.
That said I very much enjoy the ML and think its great. Smooth clean detail. Not bass to feel but hear. My Audi B&O similar. 19 speakers in that thing creates a very large soundstage. Perhaps younger tastes don’t like that because the detail is not needed to satisfy the type of music they are listening to.
In my home theatre I have spend a good deal of money on some very powerful sealed woofers that shake the house but you don’t know it when your in the room. Its Tight, detailed and accurate. thus when a space ship blows up its very effective but not tuned to **** your pants. Thats by choice. If I wanted more bombastic effect I could have installed vented woofer cabinets. I manually use a sound meter to adjust my room and there is only one sweet spot were it all comes together at the same volume. I use a dedicated bass only eq to flatten the response as my living room has some bright spots and its not reasonable to properly acoustically treat the room. Wife asked me years ago if I wanted to build out a proper room in the basement. I said I would love the project and enjoy all phases of designing the audio and installing it but I did not want to sequester my self in a soundproof bunker to view content. A good sound pulls you in to the story but should not dominate. Its nice to have a great screen and sound and marvel at it from time to time but 98% of the time its about the content, not the reproduction. This is subjective. I have friends that are insane about this and watch ****ty movies over and over because of the “special” effects. What ever floats your boat and makes you happy!!! …
Inaccurate bass is fun for a few minutes then its fatiguing. This is true in the car or at home.
Simple test (for me) of car audio is an you have a normal conversation with someone yet the output of a song sounds great?

For the record I’m not a Bose Snob. I have an outdoor space with 4 patio speakers and they do a great job and are durable.
My kids bought me a Sono’s Move. Its a .$500 portable speaker. Its amazing actually! For its size its really quite good.
Technology is changing the game. Always does.
Do what makes you happy.