GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How come all the money we pay for our Lexus doesn't have basic Features

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-16, 09:24 PM
jcochong37
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to think this.. cause the two Bmws and my 2000 E class I had was decked out.. remembered they came in packages. and some of my friends 3 series don't even have power seats... tail lights are a $$$$ upgrade. Rear view camera is extra also. Japanese car companies do give us a lot for the money with all things considered. Although a top of the line TLX for less than the GS has it beat a bit.. don't worry about everyone else. Enjoy the ride
Old 01-28-16, 10:03 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
They do but you have to pay for it. My 14 came with HIDa but did not auto correct/calibration. However P2 package includes plus Napa leather. But that added $6k to MSRP or a bit shy of $70k.
Damn $6K for upgraded headlights. Yeap that's where the Germans get expensive. Ours tops out at $60K.
Old 01-28-16, 10:38 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My e class was p1 package with sport and didn't have HIDs, a base GS has HID. With the Benz, I felt as if I was just driving a name, I wasn't impressed with it at all.
Old 01-29-16, 06:10 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

i dont have heated seats in my GS.
Old 01-29-16, 07:50 AM
Fluffpoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most ridiculous thing I've heard. Go to any of the German sites and build a comparable car in terms of features and it'll be almost always be $5k+ in cost compared to a Lexus. The Germans nickel and dime you for everything. Granted, quality control has been an issue w/ the GS in terms of it being a rattlebox, but Lexus still provides the best bang for the buck in the luxury segment.
Old 01-29-16, 07:58 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think you can compare base to base without taking into account cost. When I was researching my purchase, I found the German competitors (Audi, Mercedes and BMW) were at least $10K more than the GS for a similarly equip vehicle. Obviously, it is hard to match apples to apples but in general, the GS was much better car for the money. Take into account reliability and for me interior material quality, no comparison.

Some of the features on the Mercedes were better such as the adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance, which would bring you to a complete stop, while for 2014 the GS's would not. The seats on my lux pkg felt much better than the German versions.
Old 01-29-16, 08:15 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

My crazy ex GF's new 2010 C350 (new at that time) had a broken air vent clip (the thing u move to adjust the vent position) after just a few weeks of owning it, she said it just fell off out of nowhere. That car also has some electrical issue when u brake, one the parking lights went out, then back on when let go of the brake. Never had that problem with my cheap Camry (I had a Camry before the GS in 2014).

Oh that car also didn't have the LED turn signal cause it's extra $$$. Don't go down that route Lexus! Give us everything in one package! No option this option that crap!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-16, 09:09 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Damn $6K for upgraded headlights. Yeap that's where the Germans get expensive. Ours tops out at $60K.
$6450 to be exact on E350/400 and $6900 on E550. You also get a Keyless Go and electric trunk closer for your money.
Old 01-29-16, 09:12 AM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
My crazy ex GF's new 2010 C350 (new at that time) had a broken air vent clip (the thing u move to adjust the vent position) after just a few weeks of owning it, she said it just fell off out of nowhere. That car also has some electrical issue when u brake, one the parking lights went out, then back on when let go of the brake. Never had that problem with my cheap Camry (I had a Camry before the GS in 2014).

Oh that car also didn't have the LED turn signal cause it's extra $$$. Don't go down that route Lexus! Give us everything in one package! No option this option that crap!!!!!!!!!!
Funny - I thought the same thing when I test drove the Merc C250 base car at a Lexus drive event.

Mercedes are very cheap and not built very well (may have been the acquisition of Chrysler) ??

Jap cars are the best for the money - they give you a LOT compared to Euro cars.

I have had BMWs for 15 years and have to pay thru the nose for options that are standard on Jap cars!
Old 01-29-16, 09:14 AM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HUSKERnKS
So you buy a car, knowing full well the specs, then complain about it?
Yes, this - really ? Complain after buying it????

Look at Euro cars - they are all OPTIONS YOU PAY for!

Lexus gives you a lot - next time take your list of standard features from the Lexus and try to build it in a BMW - $10K more by the time you compare apples to apples!
Old 01-29-16, 09:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

My thing has always been this. I have tried to want to move on to other brands, there are things about other brands I like and would like to try...when I attempt to do that though, they make it hard on me because Lexus always just seems to spec out a car the way that I want it spec'ed out. For instance, ventilated seats. For some reason, on a BMW, MB or Audi you have to get the uber incredible high end package that nobody gets and nobody stocks in order to get something as simple as ventilated seats. Whereas, they are on almost every Lexus.

On MB the latest problem is headlights. Their basic cars have what I feel are very cheap looking headlights. Better clusters are available, but again in uber high end packages that I don't want or need.

So ultimately, in order to spec out an MB or BMW 5 or E that I would really like I have to spend $70k, where with a GS the stuff I REALLY want is accessible at $55k, and at $60k it has everything I would ever want.

Even like an S Class, my LS is pretty basic, it has one package at $79k. It has everything on it that I want, the trim isn't such that I feel I need to option it up to get it to look the way I want, the basic wheels are fine, etc. In an S Class, even in an S Class I would need to spec it somewhere to around $110k to get it how I would want it, thats $14,000 in options.
Old 01-29-16, 09:29 AM
1111GS

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

I do agree with you a bit because Lexus is a bit cheap on the fit and finish inside the car. However, where Lexus makes up are the electronics, sport tuned suspension and price. I also own a 2014 MBZ E350 Sport and I like the rear/front LED tail lights, chrome trim on front and rear bumpers and real metal trim on the inside.

All trim is real metal except steering wheel.

Internet pic. But 95% of trim in the car is plastic. But you can't beat bang for buck. Plus real leather seats and most comfortable in the class.

real chrome below bumper

same in rear
You can't really call them cheap because they are priced lower. Cheap is like when one charges more for less quality products. For example, Yahama pianos and Kawai pianos are common middle class pianos. Many buy Yahama because of the brand. What most people don't know though is underneath Yamaha actually uses a lot cheap quality components. For similar pianos, a Yamaha can be about 15-30% more. But people don't seem to care.
Look is subjective but it's arguable to say which interior looks nicer esp. with the gigantic screen, comfortable seats and nicer brake/gas pedals. I would love to hear your thoughts about how the E350 drives compared to the cheaper GS350 Luxury/F Sport.
Old 01-29-16, 09:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

real chrome below bumper

same in rear
I wouldn't say 'real chrome' anything is a plus.
Old 01-29-16, 09:49 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Let's also not forget that when u order parts for Toyota/Lexus u will get it within 24-hr!! Even Honda still takes 1-2 weeks to get parts that aren't in dealer stock. Nope, not Toyota!!! They're damn fast! Is it the same for ordering German parts too?
Old 01-29-16, 09:52 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. Lexus allows to configure a more desirable car without running up the price.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My thing has always been this. I have tried to want to move on to other brands, there are things about other brands I like and would like to try...when I attempt to do that though, they make it hard on me because Lexus always just seems to spec out a car the way that I want it spec'ed out. For instance, ventilated seats. For some reason, on a BMW, MB or Audi you have to get the uber incredible high end package that nobody gets and nobody stocks in order to get something as simple as ventilated seats. Whereas, they are on almost every Lexus.

On MB the latest problem is headlights. Their basic cars have what I feel are very cheap looking headlights. Better clusters are available, but again in uber high end packages that I don't want or need.

So ultimately, in order to spec out an MB or BMW 5 or E that I would really like I have to spend $70k, where with a GS the stuff I REALLY want is accessible at $55k, and at $60k it has everything I would ever want.

Even like an S Class, my LS is pretty basic, it has one package at $79k. It has everything on it that I want, the trim isn't such that I feel I need to option it up to get it to look the way I want, the basic wheels are fine, etc. In an S Class, even in an S Class I would need to spec it somewhere to around $110k to get it how I would want it, thats $14,000 in options.

Quick Reply: How come all the money we pay for our Lexus doesn't have basic Features