GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How come all the money we pay for our Lexus doesn't have basic Features

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 04:36 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
In a luxury car you shouldn't have parts bin items that are shared with downmarket cars and across other brands, etc. The only luxury car company that does that with these mirrors is Lexus. A nice color keyed rear view mirror is really a nice touch, and it's something Lexus used to do and stopped doing. Same with the GS, it used to have the color keyed mirror too. Is too.
Exactly why the Lexus IS 10-15% cheaper than its German competitors. Which do you want?
Old 02-11-16, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
LOL I guess I just don't share your enthusiasm for unique or colored mirrors.
Its not that specifically lol, its just an example.

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Exactly why the Lexus IS 10-15% cheaper than its German competitors. Which do you want?
Thats just it, they didn't used to do that and if anything they were even cheaper as a percentage than their german counterparts. Its an example of something cheap they do they didn't used to do. Its fine to say that its a pointless issue, but the point of driving a luxury car is these little details. Nothing in an $80k+ LS460 should be shared with a Toyota Camry. In fact...our Prius had the same mirror back in 2004.

Guys, I'm not this hung up on a rearview mirror lol, the only reason I mentioned it was because Stereorob mentioned the rearview mirror on the MB being cheap feeling and I pointed out that wasn't the case, and that it was in fact Lexus who uses a cheap parts bin supplier rearview mirror.
Old 02-11-16, 06:20 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Its not that specifically lol, its just an example.

Thats just it, they didn't used to do that and if anything they were even cheaper as a percentage than their german counterparts. Its an example of something cheap they do they didn't used to do. Its fine to say that its a pointless issue, but the point of driving a luxury car is these little details. Nothing in an $80k+ LS460 should be shared with a Toyota Camry. In fact...our Prius had the same mirror back in 2004.

Guys, I'm not this hung up on a rearview mirror lol, the only reason I mentioned it was because Stereorob mentioned the rearview mirror on the MB being cheap feeling and I pointed out that wasn't the case, and that it was in fact Lexus who uses a cheap parts bin supplier rearview mirror.
The original ES was nearly just a rebadged Camry. The LS was a good example of what you are saying, but I'd bet they were giving the early ones away to break into the market, and it worked.
Old 02-11-16, 07:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wasn't just the original LS. They started using gentex mirrors with the LS460. All the 400s and the 430 had the color keyed mirror. As did the 1GS, 2GS, 1IS
Old 02-11-16, 07:15 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Mods just close the thread please before it goes on non stop thank you
Old 02-12-16, 12:05 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't understand all the fuss about LED lights in the signals. Maybe I am missing something. Is it that big of a difference? I have seen that complaint a lot on these forums.

One of the big things for me was ventilated seats and real leather. ALMOST every GS has those. The ventilation generally costs you a fortune in Germans, and a lot of them seem to have leatherette. Also, could be wrong here, but I think a lot of the base model Germans don't come with HIDs. That was big for me too.
Old 02-12-16, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I don't understand all the fuss about LED lights in the signals. Maybe I am missing something. Is it that big of a difference? I have seen that complaint a lot on these forums.
Because its the modern technology and look within the industry now, its where everybody is going, all LED lighting. LED turn signals are crisper, brighter, and just look higher tech and higher end. Lexus should have them on all their vehicles by now IMHO.

Would a car not having LED turn signals keep me from buying it? Of course not.
Old 02-12-16, 08:09 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

It's just like HID vs Halogen headlights.
Old 02-12-16, 08:11 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I know what your saying about the mirrors. they may be parts bin mirrors but they still feel more solid than the Mercedes ones. just my $0.02. however, I was in a mazda 6 not long ago with the same mirror...
Old 02-12-16, 11:25 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I know what your saying about the mirrors. they may be parts bin mirrors but they still feel more solid than the Mercedes ones. just my $0.02. however, I was in a mazda 6 not long ago with the same mirror...
Not to mention...the Mercedes ones are mounted weirdly, so it makes it difficult to hang anything on them (I.e., parking or handicap placards)

I like the new frameless mirrors...doesn't really matter what color they are anymore since you can't really see the plastic.

I've been in the Mercedes E class interior and felt many of the material is cheap. It looks decent but you tap on them and you realize that it's shiny plastic, or you touch it and realize it's molded rubber.
Old 02-12-16, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stereorob
I totally disagree. All the switchgear in these MB cars is very solid and high quality IMHO, mirrors included. One thing Lexus still struggles with is the use of hard plastic in areas of their interiors.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-12-16 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 12:39 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

More than 95% of Lexus buyers could care less if the rear view mirror is a parts bin item. Quite frankly, I could care less too. The new borderless mirror is a nice touch, regardless if it's in an LS460 or a Corolla.

Hell, for the argument's sake, you could say that the door chime and lock/unlock chime are parts bin, because they are. Does it matter? Not really.
Old 02-12-16, 05:28 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

In a luxury car you shouldn't have parts bin items that are shared with downmarket cars and across other brands, etc. The only luxury car company that does that with these mirrors is Lexus. A nice color keyed rear view mirror is really a nice touch, and it's something Lexus used to do and stopped doing. Same with the GS, it used to have the color keyed mirror too. Is too.
Sharing parts isn't new to luxury cars. Mercedes parts are used in lower/downmarket cars too. The window switches, turn signal stalk, cruise control stalk, sometimes key can be found in Chrysler and Dodge. Have you sat in a Maserati lately? It's almost an exact copy of Chrysler interiors.
Old 02-12-16, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Chrysler vehicles used Mercedes switchgear during their partnership, Mercedes vehicles didn't use Chrysler switchgear. As for Maserati, Maserati is a niche carmaker and even then the big thing they use is Chrysler's infotainment, can't really expect them to develop a system just for Maserati since it's such a small run automaker.

Lexus is so big they don't have to use Toyota switchgear, and for the most part they've gotten away from it with a couple notable exceptions.
Old 02-12-16, 09:33 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Chrysler vehicles used Mercedes switchgear during their partnership, Mercedes vehicles didn't use Chrysler switchgear. As for Maserati, Maserati is a niche carmaker and even then the big thing they use is Chrysler's infotainment, can't really expect them to develop a system just for Maserati since it's such a small run automaker.

Lexus is so big they don't have to use Toyota switchgear, and for the most part they've gotten away from it with a couple notable exceptions.
Yeah, but you said parts in luxury cars shared with lower automakers. As for Maserati, uses more than just the infotainment, and being "niche"...that isn't an excuse. Haha

I forgot to mention parts sharing between VW, Audi, Bentley, and Lamborghini.

Quick Reply: How come all the money we pay for our Lexus doesn't have basic Features