GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New member here, which route should i go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-16, 08:28 PM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here, which route should i go?

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get a used 2013 Lexus GS350. Im currently look at these two

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6078/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0945/overview/

They are both very similar. Im not sure what it means when it says vehicle has been sold at auction. Can some one clarify? Or should I go with a CPO vehicle? Thank you very much!
Old 03-01-16, 09:11 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Welcome to the forum! I'm always a little weary when a car has changed hands quite a bit and it isn't very old. Both cars show three owners, but the thing that doesn't sit right with me is with the car priced at $29,950 - it was sold according to the carfax on 6/14/2014 but it doesn't show when/where it was registered once sold. The carfax seems to have a "gap" between ownership length making the carfax look off with the length of time of ownership. I'd question what happened...maybe just a clerical error with the carfax but still odd.

The other vehicle shows no maintenance history (did the original owner change the oil regularly?)...that would make me uneasy. Maybe you can setup an account on Lexus Drivers website and take the VIN # from both cars and see the service history (http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home).

My personal recommendation is go the CPO route...see if a dealer can bring in a Lux pkg for you in your price range (something with 50-60k miles and with the lux pkg+CPO):
(https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3593/overview/)
(https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2453/overview/)
(http://lexusofmtkisco.com/details/20...10048303?cid=0)
Old 03-01-16, 09:43 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

SOLD AT AUCTION means that dealer (not necessary Lexus dealer) where the car was traded in did not certify for some unknown for us reasons or decided just to get paid trade in $$ back quickly (maybe even make a few $$$). Usually it's not a good sign, I had bad experience with CPO car also "sold at auction" history, car was in accident that nowhere was noted that I found out month later...
Old 03-02-16, 05:28 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually my car was sold at auction as are all leased Lexus cars coming off their lease. The dealer bought the car and then performed all the steps necessary to certify the car (Lcertified). I got the remainder of the car's original warranty and then a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty from the dealer.

Last edited by 2Squared; 03-02-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-02-16, 05:51 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's so hard to choose between the two. Both have almost the same mileage.
Old 03-02-16, 09:24 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shurik74
SOLD AT AUCTION means that dealer (not necessary Lexus dealer) where the car was traded in did not certify for some unknown for us reasons or decided just to get paid trade in $$ back quickly (maybe even make a few $$$). Usually it's not a good sign, I had bad experience with CPO car also "sold at auction" history, car was in accident that nowhere was noted that I found out month later...
Scary that a car in accident can become CPO. I never knew that!
Old 03-02-16, 09:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
Scary that a car in accident can become CPO. I never knew that!
There are some limits on it, but yes, a car involved in an accident can still be a CPO. I believe frame/structural damage or airbag deployment prevents it from being CPO'd, but something like a fender or bumper replacement does not disqualify it.
Old 03-02-16, 09:43 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Originally Posted by JDR76
There are some limits on it, but yes, a car involved in an accident can still be a CPO. I believe frame/structural damage or airbag deployment prevents it from being CPO'd, but something like a fender or bumper replacement does not disqualify it.
+1 ^^^

Car was in kinda minor accident most likely with no airbags deployed where hood / fender / bumper were fixed with OK bonding job (saw it when took these part of the car from inside), headlight replaced. Worse thing was a hood, bonding was off limits since it's aluminum that was becoming worse month to month, not sure if they used right bond material or not. Basically ended up replacing these parts myself with OEM and repaint...

Note: It was 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT
Old 03-02-16, 09:55 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shurik74
+1 ^^^

Car was in kinda minor accident most likely with no airbags deployed where hood / fender / bumper were fixed with OK bonding job (saw it when took these part of the car from inside), headlight replaced. Worse thing was a hood, bonding was off limits since it's aluminum that was becoming worse month to month, not sure if they used right bond material or not. Basically ended up replacing these parts myself with OEM and repaint...

Note: It was 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT
I don't think I would have minded that, but I would have wanted to know so I could negotiate a better price!

Acura may have different CPO qualifications than Lexus.
Old 03-02-16, 10:00 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Originally Posted by grayson73
I don't think I would have minded that, but I would have wanted to know so I could negotiate a better price!

Acura may have different CPO qualifications than Lexus.
I don't thing there is a big difference is CPO process but Lexus might have better one.

Last edited by shurik74; 03-02-16 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-02-16, 11:08 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your input. I got the 04 tl from a private party back in the day and it runs very well. However it was much less money than the gs. I think I'd better get a CPO route unless I can find a clean 1 owner gs350.
Old 03-02-16, 11:10 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

Btw I'm looking to get a f-sport or luxury package. Which one did you guys get?
Old 03-02-16, 11:20 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Squared
Actually my car was sold at auction as are all leased Lexus cars coming off their lease. The dealer bought the car and then performed all the steps necessary to certify the car (Lcertified). I got the remainder of the car's original warranty and then a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty from the dealer.
That's not necessarily true...most of the time the dealer keep cars coming off leases that are near perfect condition and go through of making them certified pre-owned. The ones that have had body work or accidents usually are the ones that go to auction. I would be looking very carefully at the history of the car if it was sold at auction.
Old 03-02-16, 12:10 PM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
That's not necessarily true...most of the time the dealer keep cars coming off leases that are near perfect condition and go through of making them certified pre-owned. The ones that have had body work or accidents usually are the ones that go to auction. I would be looking very carefully at the history of the car if it was sold at auction.
The dealer told me that per Lexus policy all off lease cars regardless of their condition had to be auctioned off and there's 4 auction locations in US for these off lease cars. He further explained that the leased cars are not owned by the dealerships therefore they can not take possession of them when the lease is up.

My car was bought at Lexus auction location in Florida. My car was provided with a Carfax report that showed exactly what the dealer told me concerning it being sold at a Lexus auction when I was initially looking at the car I purchased.
Old 03-18-16, 04:03 PM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

http://m.cars.com/vehicledetail/#vdp?listingId=661679385

I was at the dealer today and got $34300 out the door for this one. What do you guys think?