GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windows wont roll down with FOB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 07:34 AM
DVADER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows wont roll down with FOB?

The windows/moonroof wont open when using the fob. I unsuccessfully tried pressing and holding multiple button combos. with every other car ive had i just had to hold down the unlock button or press it a few time. What's the deal (Seinfeld voice)?
Old 03-10-16, 07:40 AM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You have to have the dealer enable that option, or you can buy an app (Carista) and a bluetooth obd2 plug in and enable it with your phone.
Old 03-10-16, 08:26 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yup, here's a little cheatsheet pdf doc with all the personalized settings that can only be done at the dealership. Look for settings #26 & #28, that's what you're looking for.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

Very handy when you want to cool down the car after spending a day in the sun.

Last edited by islandbeef; 03-10-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-10-16, 12:44 PM
DVADER
Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Yup, here's a little cheatsheet pdf doc with all the personalized settings that can only be done at the dealership. Look for settings #26 & #28, that's what you're looking for.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/GS_with_nav_LPS.pdf

Very handy when you want to cool down the car after spending a day in the sun.
Very handy cheat sheet! We learn something new every day. Thank you very much.
Old 03-10-16, 12:45 PM
DVADER
Driver

Originally Posted by fsportjay
You have to have the dealer enable that option, or you can buy an app (Carista) and a bluetooth obd2 plug in and enable it with your phone.
does the dealer charge to make the programming adjustments? I dont understand why Lexus would think car owners dont want to open their windows on hot summer days prior to getting in the car.
Old 03-10-16, 01:24 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DVADER
I dont understand why Lexus would think car owners dont want to open their windows on hot summer days prior to getting in the car.
This feature used to be turned ON by default years ago.

The reason LEXUS changed it to default OFF is that peoples cars were getting drowned.
In other words, women with the FOB in their purse or sometimes guys with FOB in their pocket were inadvertently pressing the keys without knowing it which opened the sunroof and the windows.

People would come out to their cars drenched if it happened to be raining at that particular time. Obviously, in turn it caused a fair amount of damage.

So, now it's off unless you specifically have it programmed to be active/ON based on the owner preference.
Old 03-10-16, 01:32 PM
DVADER
Driver

Originally Posted by NJLEXES

The reason LEXUS changed it to default OFF is that peoples cars were getting drowned.
In other words, women with the FOB in their purse or sometimes guys with FOB in their pocket were inadvertently pressing the keys without knowing it which opened the sunroof and the windows.

People would come out to their cars drenched if it happened to be raining at that particular time. Obviously, in turn it caused a fair amount of damage.

So, now it's off unless you specifically have it programmed to be active/ON based on the owner preference.

I hear ya, A drowned car would not be a pleasant site for a car owner to see. Lexus could just set up the button sequence similar to their FOB remote start by quickly pressing the lock button twice then holding the third time for 5 seconds. If some how the FOB manged to trigger when in someones purse or pocket, well then............ lol.
Old 03-10-16, 01:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

does the dealer charge to make the programming adjustments? I dont understand why Lexus would think car owners dont want to open their windows on hot summer days prior to getting in the car.
I believe most dealers say that when you first get the car you can have the dealer only programming done at no charge, but after that there is a charge. I suspect some dealers might waive the charge from time-to-time.
Old 03-10-16, 02:10 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

If you bring the car in for servicing or warranty work, be sure to include the settings programming on top. For me, there was no charge.

Bonus: free snacks from the wait room and if you use the Yelp app., a free Starbucks gift card if you check in.
Old 03-10-16, 03:27 PM
UltraOptms
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give my local Lexus a call to set it up. It's a great option!
Old 03-11-16, 07:28 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLEXES

This happened to me. Think twice about enabling this feature. I got the Carista app (which is awesome btw) and enabled this. One day it was raining, I was sitting inside working, went out to my car and all the windows were down and sunroof was open. Not a good feeling. The key had been in my pocket, and I'm guessing that the buttons were hit by other keys in my pocket.

Luckily for me it had only been opened for probably an hour or less, and in that hour the rain had really slowed down and almost stopped from the torrential downpour earlier in the day. Still, not fun. I disabled that feature immediately.

Even if you garage your car, there's always the chance this could happen while you're out running errands, getting dinner, etc.
Old 03-11-16, 07:51 AM
DVADER
Driver

Lexus should set it up so we receive the alert text and/or email on your phone if the fob window feature has been used but the windows not closed within say maybe 5-10 minutes, assuming the car is not running. If I leave anything on the car unlocked or opened I get alerts within a few minutes.
Old 03-11-16, 08:04 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Lexus should set it up so we receive the alert text and/or email on your phone if the fob window feature has been used but the windows not closed within say maybe 5-10 minutes, assuming the car is not running. If I leave anything on the car unlocked or opened I get alerts within a few minutes.
That could be a good idea. Even 5-10 minutes in a downpour could really do a number on your car, but obviously not as bad as it being open for hours, or all day.

That wouldn't have even helped me though, haha. I don't use any of the Enform features on my phone.
Old 03-11-16, 08:04 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I just bought the Carista app and got a cheap ODBII dongle on eBay for $10 and turned on that feature and adjusted a few other things to be the way I wanted.

I am waiting to see if Carista ever supports adjusting features on the first gen GX470 so I can made modifications to me other car.
Old 03-11-16, 10:23 AM
DVADER
Driver

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I just bought the Carista app and got a cheap ODBII dongle on eBay for $10 and turned on that feature and adjusted a few other things to be the way I wanted.

I am waiting to see if Carista ever supports adjusting features on the first gen GX470 so I can made modifications to me other car.
how much is carista and is it only good with Lexus vehicles?

Quick Reply: Windows wont roll down with FOB?