GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake dust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 08:13 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

You know, this thread kinda went downhill fast, from being semi-informative to pretty argumentative. But it has convinced me that as with anything out there, brakes are a choice, as this excerpt from Bridgestone offers:

"So which brake pad is the best choice for you when deciding between ceramic brake pads vs semi metallic vs. organic? It really is dependent on the ride you expect from your vehicle combined with your personal driving style. If you have a high-performance sport car, or at least drive your vehicle like it is one, you’re likely best off choosing semi-metallic brake pads. On the other hand, if you do a lot of urban commuting, you might find a solid ceramic brake pad to be the better option."

I, for one, have tried to research reviews on brake pads but have found very limited information out there. Another common-sense article (I forget from where):

"Ceramic pads offer quieter stops, cleaner wheels, and generally longer pad-life due to their harder composition. The downsides include less cold bite, rendering them less effective in cold weather or before the brakes are up to temperature. In addition, they typically have a lower coefficient of friction than their semi-metallic counterparts (the higher the coefficient of friction, the better a brake pad will stop your vehicle).
semi-metallic pads do produce more noise and dust, they’re arguably the more versatile of the two. They are more effective over a wider range of temperatures and have a much higher thermal threshold. They provide better cold bite than ceramic pads and maintain much more consistent friction characteristics throughout their operating range. If you plan on driving your car on a racetrack (or even a spirited mountain run), semi-metallic pads are the clear choice. But for casual city or highway driving, commuting, or chauffeuring the kids around town, ceramic or organic pads offer ample stopping power with the added benefits of quietness, cleaner wheels, and longer lifespan."

I'm sure Toyota has determined, through extensive testing, and extensive cost projections, the best pad for this car based upon many factors, including performance, costs, marketing, demographics, profitability, and much more ... but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice for me.

I washed my car on Saturday, and did about 60 miles of driving over the weekend... this is my front wheel today, and I simply dislike having to clean my wheels every single week, sometimes twice weekly (I might be a little OCD, especially with a new ride):

In determining the best pad for me, I will consider both performance and dusting, finding the right balance though, will be tricky, and most likely a crapshoot given the non-existent testing done by any third parties. Although semi-metallic generally outperform ceramics, that doesn't mean that there aren't ceramics out there that won't perform better than some semi-metallics, or better than Lexus OEMs. Unfortunately there's no data out there to back up any decision I will make in the future.

Last edited by chinee; 11-19-18 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 08:21 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

It's like buying tires... summer tires give you better grip, performance AND stopping distance, while an all season will usually provide longer life and better comfort. We ask other owners for their opinions and experiences, hoping that it will help us make a decision that's best for us... right?
Old 11-28-18, 03:19 AM
Jebsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very happy with the way my 2015 GS 350 stops. Yes, the brakes are a bit grabby when cold you first start out. Brake dust is what it is, that's what soap and water is for.
Old 11-29-18, 12:38 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Just get wheels the colour of brake dust. Mine are
Old 11-29-18, 03:09 AM
Jebsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It I could be worse, ford years back had brake pads that left your wheels with a light pink color .