GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Garage or Covered Parking Does it Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 04:55 PM
Lexobu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage or Covered Parking Does it Matter?

I live in an apartment complex in a desert climate and everyone gets covered parking. There is an option for covered parking, but at an additional fee (don't know what that is as I haven't inquired about it yet).

Is garage parking that big of a deal? Considering I live in a desert climate the only thing to worry about is the sun, but if I wash and wax it at regular intervals should I care about parking it in a garage?

Also consider that I have garage parking at work (9-6), am never home during the day, and usually garage park on weekends.
Old 03-29-16, 06:42 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexobu
I live in an apartment complex in a desert climate and everyone gets covered parking. There is an option for covered parking, but at an additional fee (don't know what that is as I haven't inquired about it yet).

Is garage parking that big of a deal? Considering I live in a desert climate the only thing to worry about is the sun, but if I wash and wax it at regular intervals should I care about parking it in a garage?

Also consider that I have garage parking at work (9-6), am never home during the day, and usually garage park on weekends.
If you garage park during the day then probably not a big deal in my opinion. If the cost of having covered parking is minimal, why not just get it?
Old 03-30-16, 11:44 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think as long as the car isn't in direct sun there should be any difference to the paint. Being in a garage would keep the car cooler so you wouldn't have to wait as long for the AC to cool the interior. Not sure if this is a concern for you.
Old 03-30-16, 01:00 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually if you speak to a professional detailer they will tell you otherwise.. Covered parking will HELP but the garage is the ultimate in protection in keeping the car cool, clean and away from things like pollen, bird crap, fallout, morning dew, the sun, animals like cats, birds, or raccoons from your cars paint. Obviously covered parking is better then no protection at all but one thing to consider being in a desert climate.. Dust and Pollen are all in the air you cannot avoid it but when you park your car outside at night and get that light film of moisture on the car that is morning dew it is like a sheet or cover locking in all of that dirt and pollen from the previous day into your paint. Then the next day more dirt and pollen and at night more dew so it stacks on layer by layer.. That is what we are cleaning up when we clay bar the car. removing all of these fine particles like pollen that are imbedded into the clear coat that cannot be removed with just soap and water. So in conclusion.. if you can make it in your budget to get a garage and you really care about the finish of your cars paint... get it without a question. I personally would never live someplace that doesn't have a full garage for my cars.

Good Luck
Old 03-30-16, 01:20 PM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Garage....way to much dust and crap flying around that will land on your car and eventually crap will get embedded into the clear coat....

Don't get me wrong, covered is better then nothing....but a garage is better. I am lucky enough to have a garage at home and at work
Old 03-30-16, 07:48 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexobu

Depends on what desert climate means. From a paint perspective it shouldn't matter as long as you have good protection. I use GTechniq ExoV and C1 which protects the plastic, glass and paint surfaces. If desert means extreme heat like Phoenix in the summer then more to consider than exterior paint. Any extreme (cold or hot; wet) will cause wear on parts. Gaskets, electronics, leather, plastics, etc will deteriorate faster in extremes. Thus a garage is always better.
Old 03-30-16, 10:50 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

The more protection the better, obviously, but I really don't stress about it. Right now I just have off-street parking, no cover or anything. It's not ideal, but a car will unfortunately get pretty beat up even if you don't consider the parking situation, at least if you drive the car a decent bit. I feel like stuff that lands on your car while it's parked is the least of your problems vs. bad drivers door dinging or denting your vehicle during parallel parking or whatever, rock chips on the highway, etc. That said, I would not be cool with on-street parking all the time for any car I own. That is just asking for it to get beat up badly.

But yes, I notice my car gets covered in a film of dirt relatively quickly when it sits for a few days without me driving. I will be moving soon and will definitely make sure I have a garage for it. So like I said, the more protection the better, but I don't stress over it. Parking outside is definitely more frustrating if your car is black (mine is silver).

Another thing as far as parking outside, pretty sure when you see the cars with the really cloudy headlights, that is from UV rays. So that's one thing that parking outside will do to your car.

For me it comes down to life is too short to stress too hard over where I park my car just for the sake of paint wear. As long as I don't have to park it on the street, I can be fine with it. Garage is the best though, I'll be excited to have one soon.

Last edited by CottageChz; 03-30-16 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-30-16, 11:17 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Are there a lot of trees? Do you park under them?

Birds?
Old 03-31-16, 09:21 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef

Birds?
Not sure if this question was directed towards me or not... but those are definitely the questions you need to ask if you are parking outside without any cover and you are concerned about your paint. Even with cover, some of that stuff will get in there. As I stated, I park outside right now and don't stress too much about my paint. I just try to wash the car kind of regularly. It definitely gets hit with some bird poop and some pollen because there are trees over some of the parking spots.
Old 03-31-16, 10:39 AM
Lexobu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandbeef

Birds?
I live in Las Vegas and haven't had bird poop on a car in over 3 years. That's just not a thing here.

I just called the apartment office and a garage is $40 per month vs. free covered parking. The garages also make the walk to the car 3x longer.
Old 03-31-16, 08:07 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you considered vandalism? I use to live in an apartment when I was in college and I have had people scratch my car and even dented a fender while parking. One time I was getting ready to go to school and when i approached my car some college dude was sitting on my hood which dented it. So there was a butt shaped dent on my hood. He did apologized and paid for repairs after I went ape S#!t on his A$$. Covered parking will not protect your car from STUPID! Lucky for me I was driving a old Honda Accord then and not a New Lexus now.
Old 04-01-16, 07:57 AM
Lexobu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Have you considered vandalism? I use to live in an apartment when I was in college and I have had people scratch my car and even dented a fender while parking. One time I was getting ready to go to school and when i approached my car some college dude was sitting on my hood which dented it. So there was a butt shaped dent on my hood. He did apologized and paid for repairs after I went ape S#!t on his A$$. Covered parking will not protect your car from STUPID! Lucky for me I was driving a old Honda Accord then and not a New Lexus now.
Good point, I didn't think about this.