GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 08:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I can just about guarantee the wood in my car isn't real....just like all the leather isn't real either
The wood doesn't look or feel real to me.
Old 03-31-16, 08:36 AM
PDF84
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I can just about guarantee the wood in my car isn't real....just like all the leather isn't real either

Lexus has for a long times sourced the wood trim used in its vehicles from Yamaha.

Here's a link to an article below and a video explaining the processes used in making it for the New 4th gen RX.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/lexus-...-aluminum-trim

https://trentlexus.wordpress.com/201...the-new-rx350/

The gentleman in the video who works for Yamaha even says "We have worked closely with lexus over the last 25 years"

So I would pretty much guarantee the wood trim in your crafted line is real.
Old 03-31-16, 11:25 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sample Carbon that was sent to me looks real. Like I had mentioned in my post, the angle of the picture does it no justice. The company confirmed it was real. They said if I wanted the "fake" carbon fiber look, it would be $100 or so. I believe it is a single carbon fiber sheet coated with a clear with flex agent. Looks identical to the GSF from what I can remember when I was at the dealer.

I ordered the 4D Carbon Fiber Vinyl to wrap my from mid on my bumper so had a little piece to play with. I tried to put it over the piece above the glove compartment and it just doesn't look right. You can immediately tell that it is fake and takes away from the luxury feel of the car. I know they have a high gloss vinyl option, that may be better for those who wants to go the vinyl route.
Old 03-31-16, 11:37 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Whether it is real carbon fiber or not is really moot since this is purely for cosmetic reasons. With that said, I have yet to see any of these kits look good when installed. Not saying, it hasn't been done but the ones I have seen have look like crap. It's basically trying to line up a bunch of sticky veneers over the existing trim.

If you are patient, have a steady hand and the adhesive cures slowly while providing great bond, then I can assume it will look good. But I have yet to see someone who hasn't botch it up. It's like people who put rim take on their rims. Looks good in pictures and from a distance but up close things just don't line up and/or things start coming loose.
Old 03-31-16, 12:20 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Whether it is real carbon fiber or not is really moot since this is purely for cosmetic reasons. With that said, I have yet to see any of these kits look good when installed. Not saying, it hasn't been done but the ones I have seen have look like crap. It's basically trying to line up a bunch of sticky veneers over the existing trim.

If you are patient, have a steady hand and the adhesive cures slowly while providing great bond, then I can assume it will look good. But I have yet to see someone who hasn't botch it up. It's like people who put rim take on their rims. Looks good in pictures and from a distance but up close things just don't line up and/or things start coming loose.
I agree... I'm extremely meticulous about everything that goes on and around my cars. Hopefully everything works out an I can get the kit and install followed by some close pictures for clarification.
Old 03-31-16, 05:41 PM
kkrepa
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was interested in this and ordered a bunch of 3m 1080 vinyl samples. Not a fan of the wet carbon look but rather prefer the matte finish. I put the sample on the small piece of trim behind the steering wheel. I think it came out pretty well, so i ordered a whole roll of the stuff. will be doing all the aluminum trim this weekend.

Thoughts?

Old 03-31-16, 05:51 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kkrepa
I was interested in this and ordered a bunch of 3m 1080 vinyl samples. Not a fan of the wet carbon look but rather prefer the matte finish. I put the sample on the small piece of trim behind the steering wheel. I think it came out pretty well, so i ordered a whole roll of the stuff. will be doing all the aluminum trim this weekend.

Thoughts?
Looks great. No issue with the textured oem panels I see. Any removal tips on the 10 panels? Maybe a DIY ON removal
Old 03-31-16, 05:56 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I wrapped all my trim in real carbon fiber and gel coat over it. Was easy just takes time and practice

Old 03-31-16, 05:58 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
I wrapped all my trim in real carbon fiber and gel coat over it. Was easy just takes time and practice

Beautiful. I assume dash and doors just pop off with trim removal tools? You should do some more. I'll send you a spare set to do
Old 03-31-16, 06:00 PM
kkrepa
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man. The beauty of vinyl.. no removal of trim! Just overlay a larger piece, apply a little bit of heat (hairdryer), and use a soft plastic vinyl tool to get inside the edges. Then cut around with a fresh razor blade (carefully)!. I may have to take apart some of the center console to get that done but we'll see. I'll update this weekend when i do the rest of it.
Old 03-31-16, 06:01 PM
kkrepa
Driver School Candidate

Thats dedication man looks dope though. Did you do the center console pieces too? Curious how those come apart.
Old 03-31-16, 06:02 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Thanks man. The beauty of vinyl.. no removal of trim! Just overlay a larger piece, apply a little bit of heat (hairdryer), and use a soft plastic vinyl tool to get inside the edges. Then cut around with a fresh razor blade (carefully)!. I may have to take apart some of the center console to get that done but we'll see. I'll update this weekend when i do the rest of it.
Curious to see how it goes. I've wrapped a lot of interior trim in the past but always removed it. Curious how cleanly the center console can be done without removal. Nice work!!
Old 03-31-16, 06:13 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Thats dedication man looks dope though. Did you do the center console pieces too? Curious how those come apart.
U gotta remove all door panels then take off the trim pieces held by screws. the dash one driver side pops off. Pass side u have to take off glove box and find all the damn screws. Then comes right off. The center console easy took it all apart before but didn't get time to do it yet. Waiting for summer to finish center console.
Old 03-31-16, 06:14 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ricam78
Beautiful. I assume dash and doors just pop off with trim removal tools? You should do some more. I'll send you a spare set to do
Lol. I be down to do it for a fee haha
Old 03-31-16, 06:15 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
U gotta remove all door panels then take off the trim pieces held by screws. the dash one driver side pops off. Pass side u have to take off glove box and find all the damn screws. Then comes right off. The center console easy took it all apart before but didn't get time to do it yet. Waiting for summer to finish center console.
Thanks! Sounds like a fun project for sure. I may start trying to find a complate spare set from a parts car. Then I may ping you about the overlay work

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!