GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 08:21 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kkrepa
I was interested in this and ordered a bunch of 3m 1080 vinyl samples. Not a fan of the wet carbon look but rather prefer the matte finish. I put the sample on the small piece of trim behind the steering wheel. I think it came out pretty well, so i ordered a whole roll of the stuff. will be doing all the aluminum trim this weekend.

Thoughts?
I've been seeing matte and satin finished carbon on other cars lately (primarily on Mclaren 675LT and other exotics). I definitely prefer the satin finish one over everything else. I'm curious to see it done on all of the trim first. When you are done, can you please post some pictures of the entire interior?
Old 03-31-16, 08:49 PM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
U gotta remove all door panels then take off the trim pieces held by screws. the dash one driver side pops off. Pass side u have to take off glove box and find all the damn screws. Then comes right off. The center console easy took it all apart before but didn't get time to do it yet. Waiting for summer to finish center console.
I appreciate the details. I have ordered 3M carbon wrap as well just to try it out. I got like 5sq ft, based on my calculation.
Old 04-01-16, 09:35 AM
Lexobu
Driver School Candidate

I'd love to have some step by step instructions for this, or an estimate on a professional job. I've never done a car mod myself so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it myself, but if it isn't too much I'm not apposed to having someone do it for me.
Old 04-01-16, 10:31 AM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexobu
I'd love to have some step by step instructions for this, or an estimate on a professional job. I've never done a car mod myself so I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it myself, but if it isn't too much I'm not apposed to having someone do it for me.
Google and Youtube are your best friend. A lot has to do with not having the "Fear" or it not being perfect at the first time. I will doing the wrap on my own car as a trial as well and can post here once it arrives.
Old 04-01-16, 10:36 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kkrepa
I was interested in this and ordered a bunch of 3m 1080 vinyl samples. Not a fan of the wet carbon look but rather prefer the matte finish. I put the sample on the small piece of trim behind the steering wheel. I think it came out pretty well, so i ordered a whole roll of the stuff. will be doing all the aluminum trim this weekend.

Thoughts?
What does the stock trim you are re-covering look like? Is it the textured silver?

Also, found a pic of the backside of the door trim panels...LOTS of screws

Old 04-01-16, 11:32 AM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ricam78
What does the stock trim you are re-covering look like? Is it the textured silver?

Awesome! Now I just have to figure out how to take off the door panel. hahahhaha.... Truly appreciate the details.
Old 04-01-16, 11:35 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bossles
Awesome! Now I just have to figure out how to take off the door panel. hahahhaha.... Truly appreciate the details.
Probably a screw or two and then lift up and unhook...but let someone who has done it chime in. I will look this wknd.
Old 04-01-16, 01:56 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, looking to cover the silver pieces...
Old 04-01-16, 02:37 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been wanting to wrap the trim in my GS but dont know which vinyl wrap looks as close to real CF. The wood trim in my Premium version GS looks ugly imo.
Old 04-01-16, 02:40 PM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I've been wanting to wrap the trim in my GS but dont know which vinyl wrap looks as close to real CF. The wood trim in my Premium version GS looks ugly imo.
3M 1080 carbon fiber vinyl wrap has been the best I have found. Obviously original carbon fiber is better, but for the price I am going to test it soon.
Old 04-01-16, 03:10 PM
kkrepa
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=ricam78;9430415]What does the stock trim you are re-covering look like? Is it the textured silver?

Yes its the textured aluminum trim. When i bought it i thought it was pretty cool but after a while it starts to look like a weird zebra stripe haha. Im not removing any panels to do the vinyl so a lot less work. Only have to tear apart the center console do get it neat around the gear shift and stupid mouse pad thing. Will be tackling that in the morning so we'll see how that comes out.
Old 04-02-16, 09:06 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes its the textured aluminum trim. When i bought it i thought it was pretty cool but after a while it starts to look like a weird zebra stripe haha. Im not removing any panels to do the vinyl so a lot less work. Only have to tear apart the center console do get it neat around the gear shift and stupid mouse pad thing. Will be tackling that in the morning so we'll see how that comes out.
Can't wait for the pics.
Old 04-02-16, 09:24 AM
Bossles
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=kkrepa;9430777]

Take pics as you take pieces apart, so we all have an idea on how to remove.
Old 04-02-16, 07:14 PM
kkrepa
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Okay here it are some pictures from the install. Personally i think it came out great. Feels like a whole new car on the inside. Overall took about 2 hours (most of that was ripping apart the center console). Had to take out the mouse pad thing and the remove the trim around the radio in order to remove the seat heater buttons to wrap those. Then wrapped all the pieces, cut around and re-install it all. Let me know what you think.

The following 3 users liked this post by kkrepa:
amerrival (06-18-24), berichgsF (05-11-17), LatinLS430 (05-09-17)
Old 04-02-16, 07:18 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Looks great. Any tips.on center pod removal?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim!!!