GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

"Sales of the Lexus GS were also down 40.6 percent to 1,524 units."

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 06:15 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
I'll have to wait for the next generation. I buy my cars. This next one will probably be my last upscale auto. It's Has to be right and reliable. I know why it has to be a Lexus. If I leased, I could care less. I'd go for an A4 right now. Just can't allow myself to buy it. I just might be too rational for my own good. Maybe I should have the attitude that you only live once, enjoy yourself. That is with things like this, not something that will kill you.
I just wish they start really moving on and not just cosmetically for the Fast & Furious crowd. Even CR likes the GS but admits it's never been a seller while it pans the IS (even the 350) that it doesn't even recommend it. When have you ever seen CR do that to a Lexus?
I think leasing comes very close to buying, if you're getting a good deal. For a $50k car, the difference over 36 mo between leasing and buying comes to smth like $1.5k. So if you can afford an extra $1.5k over 3 years, you could keep leasing $50k cars and not worry about warranty.
Old 05-11-16, 07:38 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
FYI my LS is $950 with not only nothing down, but $4k in negative equity rolled in from my GS.
My lease on my Audi S5 is $975 per month for 2 years (payments are always higher for a 2-year rather than 3-year lease). S5s are pretty rare, so dealers still don't need to discount them. Compare that to the high lease figures on the GS, which is part of a much broader, bread-and-butter market and competes with many more cars (5 series, A6, CTS, MB E Class, Hyundai Genesis). Those lease prices will have to come down eventually if they want to move them.
Old 05-11-16, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
For this money you guys could lease 535i, A6 3.0T, Genesis 5.0, etc. All great cars. Please don't dig out the reliability argument, I'm specifically talking about leasing.
I'm not going to dig out the reliability argument. Only to say that I had an A6 3.0T as a loaner car and as strong as that engine was the car bored me to death. It was so detached from the road and anything but a driver's car. It was the whole interior and driving experience. The salesman actually told me I needed to move to an S6 if I wanted a great driving experience. How much are THOSE lease payments?

My '13 GS F Sport always put a smile on my face every time I drove it. There are many other reasons for not choosing those other brands. The GS F Sport was one of my all-time favorite cars.
Old 05-11-16, 08:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My lease on my Audi S5 is $975 per month for 2 years (payments are always higher for a 2-year rather than 3-year lease). S5s are pretty rare, so dealers still don't need to discount them. Compare that to the high lease figures on the GS, which is part of a much broader, bread-and-butter market and competes with many more cars (5 series, A6, CTS, MB E Class, Hyundai Genesis). Those lease prices will have to come down eventually if they want to move them.
Damn man! One grand car payment?
Old 05-11-16, 09:07 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Damn I heard audi lease deals are terrible to begin with, but DAMN. Your leasing higher then a BMW M3/4
Old 05-11-16, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I was quoted a lease on a $65,000 A6 that was very similar to my lease on my $80,000 LS. Audi leases are terrible.
Old 05-12-16, 07:10 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Audi leases are terrible because of their poor resale value. Great cars from what I've been told but once the warranty expires, resale value really tanks due to expensive maintenance and upkeep.

Ever look at a Range Rover lease? It's like $1,200+ a month.
Old 05-12-16, 07:16 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
I think leasing comes very close to buying, if you're getting a good deal. For a $50k car, the difference over 36 mo between leasing and buying comes to smth like $1.5k. So if you can afford an extra $1.5k over 3 years, you could keep leasing $50k cars and not worry about warranty.
Agreed. But, if something happens drastically financially, you're out of a car if you are leasing. Buying and owning obviously a different story.
Old 05-12-16, 07:24 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Audi leases are terrible because of their poor resale value. Great cars from what I've been told but once the warranty expires, resale value really tanks due to expensive maintenance and upkeep.

Audi's do not have low resale value. For quite a few years they were one of the highest of mainstream cars. I have not studied them recently, but last year I traded a 10 month old A7 that I took a 15% hit on. That's almost unheard of to come out that well. And the dealer sold the car in a week obviously marked up from what they gave me.

And think about your comment. You say resale tanks when the warranty runs out. On a three year lease there is still a year left on the warranty.

Many car makers don't have heavily subsidized leases like BMW does. In fact, BMW resale is nothing special, so resale value is obviously not always the reason for cheap leases
Old 05-12-16, 09:02 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,051 Likes on 665 Posts

What are the leases like for M3/4 anyway? I've always thought they're in the 1000s range too.
Old 05-12-16, 09:30 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
What are the leases like for M3/4 anyway? I've always thought they're in the 1000s range too.
Depends on where you live, and of course when you buy it, but typically mid 800s
Old 05-12-16, 09:40 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Well thats with any car. No warranty takes away one of the biggest safety nets on any car, even a lexus.

Audi lease are terrible is cause they dont hyperinflate their residual values. Plus not many dealers like to negotiate on Audi, so most buyers just take whatever they get (although I know right now 6-7% or more after their VW gate has been replicated
Old 05-12-16, 10:27 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

I'm not going to dig out the reliability argument. Only to say that I had an A6 3.0T as a loaner car and as strong as that engine was the car bored me to death. It was so detached from the road and anything but a driver's car. It was the whole interior and driving experience. The salesman actually told me I needed to move to an S6 if I wanted a great driving experience. How much are THOSE lease payments?

My '13 GS F Sport always put a smile on my face every time I drove it. There are many other reasons for not choosing those other brands. The GS F Sport was one of my all-time favorite cars.
Happiness is such a subjective chemical. While I agree the GS has a more exiting chassis, I loathe the engine. The A6 might be a bit boring, but it has a great engine and a better designed interior. Pros and cons.
Old 05-12-16, 10:33 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjscsix
last year I traded a 10 month old A7 that I took a 15% hit on.
A7 holds its value much better than the A6, so you cannot apply the A7 example to the whole Audi range. You're right about subsidizing the leases tho, BMW does that.
Old 05-12-16, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
Agreed. But, if something happens drastically financially, you're out of a car if you are leasing. Buying and owning obviously a different story.
If you're in a position where something could happen drastically financially to the point where you would be forced to get rid of your car or unable to pay for your car then you shouldn't have this sort of car anyway...financed or leased.

In any event if you have a car loan and you don't make the payments or can't make the payments they'll come and get it same as if it were a lease.

Actual resale value and lease prices aren't always connected. Audis have better resale than the GS does...yet look at the leases. Thats because Lexus is offering cheap lease deals by using low MFs, incentives , and unrealistically high residuals. Audi isn't doing that and you see the result.

As for the Range Rover, $1,200 a month is not unusually high for a vehicle as expensive as a Range Rover. Bear in mind that an LS460L can be $1,200 a month pretty easily. S Classes closer to $1,400 a month. Nowadays $1,200 a month is a fairly typical flagship class lease. My barely optioned LS460 with $10k off list price is just under $1,000 a month.

Quick Reply: "Sales of the Lexus GS were also down 40.6 percent to 1,524 units."