GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

"Sales of the Lexus GS were also down 40.6 percent to 1,524 units."

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 08:06 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also think the GS200t is a mistake. As the lease special car, who wants a 4 cylinder on the heavy GS. I've had several customers go for the 16 ES after their GS lease ended. There were 3 reasons:
The ES looks better with the 16 refresh
The ES has a 6 cylinder engine
The ES nav car is cheaper than the base GS
Old 04-02-16, 09:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

The issue is crappy leases. You have basically all the returning lease customers looking at $100-300 more a month for the same car, not gonna happen.
Old 04-03-16, 05:14 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
I've seen about six 2016 GS350's on the road so far. I personally like the refresh.
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Same here.

I actually stared at it longer than my 2014
I really like the new design as well. Looks much better. I'm not for sure if I will purchase one though.
Old 04-03-16, 06:45 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dano
Agreed. I recently purchased a '14 CPO F Sport. My wife saw several '16 GSs on the lot and her reaction to the new grill was not positive. My closest friend thought my '14 was a new car when he saw it until he asked me about the front end. He said "well...which Lexus has that big, gawdy grill? I like your grill." I told him virtually all the new Lexus' have the "overstated" grill.

Honestly, I didn't care for the GS grill on the '13s when it first came out but it grew on me and I now own a '14. I hated the original gaping mouth grill on the Audis when it arrived years ago and I now love them. I imagine the new grills on the GS, ES, IS, etc. will grow on me. I owned a '12 Acura TL before the GS. Many people hate the grill on that car. I liked it, compared to the original beak when it first came out. I also find BMW grills boring to say the least.
To be honest even though I bought a 2014 GS350 F Sport I didn't like the way the nose stuck out so much. Now I have the TRD lip spoilers installed it looks so much better with a more squared off look.

Old 04-03-16, 08:55 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dman3626
The tail lights remind me of a 90's civic going for the "Altezza Style"
I'm glad I'm not the only one who dislikes this "new" style of taillight. I've seen this on a number of new Japanese cars and can't wait for this to become unfashionable again. It didn't look good then and the dark surrounds on this current crop scream ebay knock off to me.

It's too bad the rendered picture above wasn't reality, that guy looks pretty good.
Old 04-03-16, 09:54 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I also think the GS200t is a mistake. As the lease special car, who wants a 4 cylinder on the heavy GS. I've had several customers go for the 16 ES after their GS lease ended. There were 3 reasons:
The ES looks better with the 16 refresh
The ES has a 6 cylinder engine
The ES nav car is cheaper than the base GS
I agree, 4 cyl in a GS is a big mistake, I don't even like a 4cyl in a IS plus the styling of the GS refresh is not very attractive. I have yet to see a 2016 on the road and they don't seem to be moving at our Lexus dealership. I see tons of ES's though on the road. They need to be more realistic with the pricing of the GS because you get almost as much with a ES for much less, yes enthusiasts will prefer RWD and a slightly nicer interior quality in the GS but it is obviously not enough. I have read there is some debate again with Lexus whether to go on with a 5th Gen GS or possibly cancel it which is a shame. They should have kept a affordable V8 option around 400hp for the GS instead of that overpriced hybrid that does not sell and lowered the V6 GS350 price.
Old 04-03-16, 10:48 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ GS200t does not even come with real leather. That car was clearly made for a different market / country where the ES is not sold. In the US 200t is a slap in the face, only a clueless buyer will pick that car over ES.
Old 04-03-16, 11:40 AM
sdjdguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I'm not surprised at the reduced sales numbers. I think it may partially be the redesigned front end. I have yet to find anyone (except on this forum) who thinks the newly designed shark-mouthed grill is an improvement. I personally think it looks hideous and I would have a hard time "upgrading" to that model. I see them on the streets and cringe. I don't know what Lexus was thinking. I'm standing by for "inbound". I'm sure many of you think it's wonderful and that's fine. Everyone has their own opinion.
I agree completely. I was recently in the market and considered a new 2016 GS but ultimately ended up buying a leftover new 2015 GS 350 FSport. While I don't hate the new grill and tail lights, I definitely don't see them as an improvement and I like the 2015 look better overall. It's more elegant and upscale looking, whereas to me the new grill is too gaudy and in-your-face. With that said, I might still have bought one if the price had been right. But like other posters have said, the dealers are far too proud of the 2016s and would not discount much at all. I also cannot imagine why anyone would buy a 4-cylinder GS. The six is powerful enough but not exactly a rocket ship as it is.
Old 04-03-16, 03:20 PM
jklangen99
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just purchased a 2016 GS350 and do like the new look. My wife calls it the Darth Vader front end but likes it. Everyone that sees it says it looks pretty cool. One of the reasons I didn't get the F Sport though is that grill is a grid that looked it would be difficult to clean. My favorite line now when family and friends are checking it out is "don't be gettin' up in my grill now' !
Old 04-03-16, 03:42 PM
ronsinsc
Rookie

I too bought a 2016 GS 350, White exterior brown interior. I think the car looks fine. I think the interior is extremely well-done. Just my opinion but it was the nicest midsize sedan I could find. Some similarities between this Lexus and a 92 mercedes-Benz 300E which is one of my all-time favorite models.

My dealer told me this model is not a big seller in his market. It seems that most people who want a Lexus want an SUV. Already have two other SUVs so adding another SUV seemed stupid for me. This midsize car is a great addition to my small fleet . I plan to use it for driving around town since it gets a lot better mileage than either of the SUVs or any of the other vehicles I have my disposal.

Last edited by ronsinsc; 04-03-16 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-03-16, 06:33 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all those who say that the GS 2.0T is a mistake: BMW sells tons of 528i and the model has great reviews. Why would Lexus fail with the GS 2.0T if the 528i is so successful?
Old 04-03-16, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by metrathon
To all those who say that the GS 2.0T is a mistake: BMW sells tons of 528i and the model has great reviews. Why would Lexus fail with the GS 2.0T if the 528i is so successful?
Because the BMW 4 turbo is a better motor for the car than the 2.0T is.
Old 04-03-16, 06:39 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Because the BMW 4 turbo is a better motor for the car than the 2.0T is.
I have not driven the Lexus 4, but did have a 528 loaner for about a week. I was quite impressed with it. And keep in mind the BMW I had at the time was a 550 with the twin turbo V8. The 528 was clearly a lot slower than the 550, but I never felt like it was a dog either.
Old 04-03-16, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I have not driven the Lexus 4, but did have a 528 loaner for about a week. I was quite impressed with it. And keep in mind the BMW I had at the time was a 550 with the twin turbo V8. The 528 was clearly a lot slower than the 550, but I never felt like it was a dog either.
I haven't driven it in the GS, but I wasn't overly impressed with it in the NX even...

Yeah the turbo in the BMW is fine. So is the 2.0T in the CTS.
Old 04-03-16, 06:57 PM
ronsinsc
Rookie

Originally Posted by metrathon
I would not say the GS 2.0 t is mistake. It just seems like the government is pushing car companies to used turbo motors due to greater efficiency I use Turbo motor cars in the past and they can be quite useful however this maybe the last really good V6 motors and I wanted to have one.

Quick Reply: "Sales of the Lexus GS were also down 40.6 percent to 1,524 units."