GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New Rumors on the 2018 GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 07:37 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

No CVT for me. I'd go full electric than a CVT. Yes the CVT in my CT sucks and simulated shifting in my old Accord's CVT is an insult really.
Old 05-05-16, 08:26 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
That's right, those same people would rather choose a stripper BMW or Benz over a fully loaded Lexus any day. The less GS on the road the better for me anyway, so it's considered a rare car. Everybody here has stripper BMWs and Benz, they're like Corollas and Civics now.
According to Brian Cooley on CNET, this is how you find out if someone is a "Pompous ***". When someone will still buy a stripped down, basic Mercedes over a fully loaded to the gills Kia Cadenza.
Old 05-05-16, 08:55 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I like the front end but really have doubts of a GS F-Sport getting a twin turbo although thats what we need.
Old 05-05-16, 08:58 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing Apple and Lexus can't be more wrong. Apple used to be at the forefront of innovation, Lexus trails the pack and it's always among the last at implementing new technologies.
That's why it can't shake the old man's brand stigma, because the first thing that comes into your mind when you say Lexus is reliability. Not excitement, technology, or performance.

Go to any Lexus dealership waiting lounge. Everyone is playing Bingo.
Old 05-05-16, 09:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Didn't the 3rd gen come out for MY2006? It concluded with MY2011. There was no 2012 GS.
I was using calendar years. I'm not completely sure when the MY2005 GS was available, but seems like 2004 would be likely. MY2011 was the final 3GS, and the 4GS was released in February 2012.

So if they stay on 8 year cycles, we would expect the 2021MY early 2020.
Old 05-05-16, 09:43 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,155 Likes on 852 Posts

I remember seeing the 3rd Gen GS available in Late 2005 as a 2006 Model (I could be wrong though) and ended in 2011 (6yrs).

The 4GS was available in 2012 as a "2013 GS" (my GS is an early build 4GS registered in April 2012).

So if history proves any indication of the future, its very possible for the 2019 Fully Redesigned 5GS to be available in late 2018 after 6 years as well (2012-2018).
Old 05-05-16, 09:56 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by dchar
Hopefully Lexus is looking into other ways of making their cars faster besides the old-fashion turbos (using exhaust) or superchargers, which obviously haven't been the most reliable ways of increasing power. Maybe Lexus will release electric turbos...or maybe a new hybrid powertrain where electric motors handle the lower end and the NA engine takes over for the upper end.

Most likely Lexus is going to play it safe and wait for others to do it first, then perfect it.
I like the thought of Lexus pursuing both of these avenues (electric turbos and hybrid powertrain with low end full electric/high end NA engine).

I actually commented on how this would be the best of both worlds, but requires advancements in battery technology to get us there: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ml#post9465430

You can bet that the NHTSA, which regulates CAFE standards and the EPA, which measures vehicle fuel efficiency, are not going to be back down on the hard fought 2011 legislature to hold passenger vehicles and light trucks to higher efficiency standards.

The EPA is also pushing for manufacturers to "road test" their MPG sticker claims so it's more in line with "real world" performance rather than rely on lab tests that car manufacturers submit to the EPA.

This is a nice chart that breaks down CAFE & "window sticker" standards by year for both passenger cars and light trucks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...my#cite_ref-49

Btw, I would love to see the next gen GS look like those pictures shared in this topic. I wouldn't mind a little bit of extra room either (lightly stretched chassis), but I'm fine if the GS stays with it's current interior dimensions. I love a combination of sporty & luxury sedan, so that's why the GS is my favorite line in the Lexus family as well.

I agree with others that a twin turbo V6 is what so many of us have dreamed of being in the 5GS. The chances of that happening are probably slim.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what the future holds. We'll see if Lexus can pull out something that will deter me from considering the Model S as the ultimate everyday dream car.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 05-09-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 12:29 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandbeef
According to Brian Cooley on CNET, this is how you find out if someone is a "Pompous ***". When someone will still buy a stripped down, basic Mercedes over a fully loaded to the gills Kia Cadenza.
We have a really excellent auto repair show called AUTOX, hosted by Kirk Robinson on our local cable outlet.The panel was just saying if you see a late-ish model luxury car, look at the tires on the car. If the tires are cheapos or knock-offs the guy can't afford the car he is driving. This was followed by roars of laughter from the whole panel.
Old 05-05-16, 12:45 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
We have a really excellent auto repair show called AUTOX, hosted by Kirk Robinson on our local cable outlet.The panel was just saying if you see a late-ish model luxury car, look at the tires on the car. If the tires are cheapos or knock-offs the guy can't afford the car he is driving. This was followed by roars of laughter from the whole panel.
LOL. Probably 1% of the population will look at the badge and then look at the tires lol.

When traveling past certain airports, one can find a gazillion luxury used car dealers with only few reliable nameplates but a crap ton of older high end luxury vehicles. I would wonder who would purchase these things and why would you purchase these things. Then I met an owner of one of these places inflight and he told me the amount of RRs, MBs, BMWs, Jaguars, etc he moves a month is 10 times more then how many toyota corollas or tacomas he moves hence his inventory. He says the car may have had issues, but once nice detail and even a RR thats troublesome has a buyer in no time. Its the badge that moves the most, rather then the quality behind that badge.
Old 05-05-16, 03:53 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

"Snob Appeal" reigns supreme, I guess.
Old 05-09-16, 05:21 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Quite very disappointing how this was directly copied word-for-word by that useless spam blog-bot of a website automoreview, when it originated from Lexus Enthusiast via what a Japanese source provided to me (as well as the renderings) while on my trips to HK and Beijing last week. They really don't waste time...

I really many of us would stick to reputable sources and not these disingenuous sites, sometimes full of Engrish and atrocious renderings, except this case they did differently to garner easy traffic.

I am the source of the 2019 model year designation, whereas my Japanese translation stated 2018 model year, as Japan goes by reg/prod. year unlike North America. It arrives in late 2018, using TNGA-like technology, hence in my original write-up TNGA-FR. Not the TNGA platform, but GA-L of course, which is similar.

The engine is what rayaans disclosed 1.5 years ago, which is going first into the 2018 LS300t turbo V6.

For those of you debating when it goes on sale, bear in mind some things. The L10 went into production in December 2011 and will be 7 years old in December 2018.

The S190 GS was in production from January 2005 to October 2011. Just 6 years and 9 months. The S160 GS was in production for 7 years from August 1997 to 2004, affected by delays.

At worst this car will arrive in the spring of 2019, but most certainly sometime in 2018, like Q4 2018. Toyota would've by now settled on a final design for the next GS, especially that their place holding facelift went on sale many months ago.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 05-09-16 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 07:42 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmk1
Quite very disappointing how this was directly copied word-for-word by that useless spam blog-bot of a website automoreview, when it originated from Lexus Enthusiast via what a Japanese source provided to me (as well as the renderings) while on my trips to HK and Beijing last week. They really don't waste time...
Wow, great to hear from the true source of this information. Thank you for posting in this thread and for clarifying many points.

I can't wait to get more specifications on the LS300t, which you speak of, so that we can get reviews about how the new engine performs.

All the best,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 07-26-16, 06:50 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
As some of the emerging real world driving articles about turbo-ed models are revealing, better fuel consumption is not at all a given. However, short-term boosts in h/p and torque are certainly the attraction with the German marques and Lexus needs to compete in that space. The comment about increased maintenance costs and potential durability issues are what mechanics have been saying for years. After all a mechanic is the person that deals with an engine on the back-end of it's usage profile.

That front grille, sure looks good. It is amazing how quickly the spindle grille has settled into our perceptions.
I agree completely. I've seen many comparison tests where a N/A car gets as good mileage as a blower car with similar power and similar flat out performance. In fact, my 2015 A7 vs the GS we had at the same time is a perfect example. Only 4 hp separated them, both similar size cars, both eight speed automatics. In similar driving I got almost the exact same mileage. But the Audi has tons more low/mid range torque. I realize it is supercharged, not turbo, but that is consistent with turbo results I have seen.
Old 07-26-16, 07:33 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I agree completely. I've seen many comparison tests where a N/A car gets as good mileage as a blower car with similar power and similar flat out performance. In fact, my 2015 A7 vs the GS we had at the same time is a perfect example. Only 4 hp separated them, both similar size cars, both eight speed automatics. In similar driving I got almost the exact same mileage. But the Audi has tons more low/mid range torque. I realize it is supercharged, not turbo, but that is consistent with turbo results I have seen.
You really can't make a comparison like that. Force induction only kicks in when you drive the car hard so under normal driving conditions you won't see much of a difference. I'll give you an apples to apples comparison from my own experience.

In my younger and more foolish days, I got bored with my 2000 Camry after 1 year and added a TRD Supercharger to it. Only ran 4PSI but it increased power was about 50HP. Anyhow this is an apples to apples comparison. Same car, same transmission, same driver, ...etc. With supercharger added, mileage was about the same in normal driving conditions, maybe 1 to 2 MPG less. I had a boost gauge installed so I could see that boost was not applied unless I pushed the gas at a certain level. Normal highway cruising miles, I got pretty much the same MPG as stock, roughly 22-24 MPG.

But that is where the similarities ended. As I drove the car harder and the engine spent more time in boost, I was getting something like 13 to 17 MPG. No matter how hard I pushed it stock did it ever get down to 13MPG.
Old 07-26-16, 08:28 AM
leg3ndary
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does this mean that the 4GS model may have a solution in order to tune the ECU to install forced air induction packages? Hmmm???!?!? Anyone care to speculate/comment?

Quick Reply: New Rumors on the 2018 GS