GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hendrick Lexus Automotive group and Lexus = Worst ownership experience and car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-16, 03:40 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

"The ABS going crazy - Means the system activated on dry pavement at speeds of approx 70 mph and the car pulled heavily towards the driver side and I had to correct the vehicle with the steering wheel to the right all while the system was activating. And when going into that scenario, instinct is to put the brakes on, which didn't help in this case. I know, many of you will scratch your head, and my wife and I are still perplexed."

Does that mean the dash light came on, or the car actually started applying the brakes by itself? You said you don't have lane keep assist, do you have pcs? They are different options.
Old 05-12-16, 05:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
BC, Google the dealership and the reviews. If your dealership is the only one in town, where else are you going to buy the product? I invite you to get on Yelp too. But I understand you're brand loyal and some people have their own opinions and I can respect that. I'm simply trying to let others know so they hopefully can avoid the experience I have witnessed. If you are ever in Kansas City, you should definitely let them perform an oil change on your car at the very least.
I rarely look at Yelp reviews (car dealerships, restaurants, etc.) because they oftentimes cannot be trusted. You're only reading about one side of the story...and if it is a bad review there is almost always another side of the story that should be heard, but never is.

Businesses like Hendricks Lexus in Kansas City don't want bad reviews, and will go out of their way to appease customers and keep them happy. It is certainly not their inclination to upset customers. It is usually the customer with unreasonable or underhanded demands that ends up causing customers to bad-mouth and criticize the business.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that large and well-established businesses don't make mistakes from time-to-time that upsets customers, but 99% of reputable businesses work with their customers to fairly resolve the matter...as long as the problem is fixable and what the customer wants is reasonable...and they act with a reciprocal approach.

Hendricks Automotive Group operates 102 dealerships representing 29 nameplates, 143 franchises and 29 collision centers in 14 states and employs over 10,000 employees, generating $8.4 billion in revenue last year. Clearly, they are doing a lot of things right...pleasing a lot of brands, and pleasing a whole lot of customers. It really makes me wonder what happened with you...which is something I'll never know because I'm only hearing one side of the story. And that's why I rarely look at Yelp reviews. But, I did happen to see that cars.com gives 4.8 out of 5 ★ for Hendricks Lexus in Kansas City.
Old 05-13-16, 04:49 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BC, are you by chance employed by a car dealer? Not all reviews on Yelp are bad. But there is a large number of them. And I too will never know the other side to their reviews. But that's what this is about, one side's experience. To your point on how they stay in business, when you're the only show in town, most people will shop with you. This seems to be how this auto group functions. It's a monopoly in the market they operate. If you had one electric company and couldn't choose another provider, they can treat you as they see fit with little to no recourse initially. And that's how this automotive group also functions.
Old 05-13-16, 08:35 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

BC, are you by chance employed by a car dealer?
No, I am not associated with Lexus, nor any dealership or anything even remotely associated with the automotive industry.

Not all reviews on Yelp are bad. But there is a large number of them. And I too will never know the other side to their reviews. But that's what this is about, one side's experience. To your point on how they stay in business, when you're the only show in town, most people will shop with you. This seems to be how this auto group functions. It's a monopoly in the market they operate. If you had one electric company and couldn't choose another provider, they can treat you as they see fit with little to no recourse initially. And that's how this automotive group also functions.
It may be that Hendricks Lexus in Kansas City has the only two Lexus dealerships in the city or nearby, but that is not an unusual situation at all. Even so, that does not prompt them to give poor service or mistreat customers! Word of mouth (from neighbor-to-neighbor, or family member-to-family member) is far more damaging than any Yelp review. If poor service was the norm, it wouldn't take long before the dealership would be seeing a downturn in their business. Trust me, they want to see their business increase, which of course naturally prompts them to provide good service... The question remains - why are you (and/or your vehicle) being singled-out and not being given the excellent service that others are receiving from this dealership? It's something we will never know, without hearing from the dealership, right?

Last edited by bclexus; 05-13-16 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 08:44 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I am glad I have at least six Lexus dealerships within a 50 mile radius of me to choose from....
Old 05-13-16, 08:16 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
No, I am not associated with Lexus, nor any dealership or anything even remotely associated with the automotive industry.

It may be that Hendricks Lexus in Kansas City has the only two Lexus dealerships in the city or nearby, but that is not an unusual situation at all. Even so, that does not prompt them to give poor service or mistreat customers! Word of mouth (from neighbor-to-neighbor, or family member-to-family member) is far more damaging than any Yelp review. If poor service was the norm, it wouldn't take long before the dealership would be seeing a downturn in their business. Trust me, they want to see their business increase, which of course naturally prompts them to provide good service... The question remains - why are you (and/or your vehicle) being singled-out and not being given the excellent service that others are receiving from this dealership? It's something we will never know, without hearing from the dealership, right?
I'm not being singled out, I don't know why you keep thinking that. I've explained the process of looking up reviews. You seem like an intelligent person. Do a little legwork and I'm sure you can figure the rest out... Or not. And trust me, to my co-workers, friends, and family, they all have seen and get it. But I'm ok if you never do.
Old 05-13-16, 08:20 PM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We didn't buy our car here, but they have been our point of service. Our GS350 is a $60k car and has had the ABS system go crazy on us at freeway speeds after both the north location and the south location worked on the brakes 4 times and only said the brakes needed resurfacing. They say they can't find any issues or codes, but refuse to take the brake system apart or take our issue seriously. We don't understand how the brakes can keep warping within such short periods and there is nothing causing it. They have had the car 4 months out of the last 12 and the service is just awful. We involved corporate thinking the manufacturer would be professional. Boy were we wrong. Their corporate rep offered nothing of value, the corporate master tech never listened to me or my wife once on how to duplicate some of the issues. Even when we provide video evidence. They have an excuse for everything. Best part is they bent my wheel and it took them 3 visits just to properly diagnose something two other Lexus dealers said you would see by looking at the wheel spinning with nothing more than your eyes. They dented the rocker panel and had to replace that. Even broke the cup holder and took three visits to fix that. In addition they have lost our car keys twice, one of which resulted in chasing our car around the metro area after costing me half a work day to coordinate getting the key to them and get my car back because they didn't even check to see if they had a key blank at their location. Take away, we can't get our car fixed, but we can get it damaged easily and have the auto group show no interest in making matters right.

Even better, on 4 different instances, their solution has been having the sales manager call us to have us buy a new car and take a huge hit on this vehicle in trade. Why would you buy a new one when you can't even fix the old one. And a side note, from what they quoted the car is worth, this vehicle has held its value as well as a screen door holds water.

The experience with Lexus and this dealer has been anything but luxurious. Matter of fact, just the opposite.

The icing on the cake was my wife walking towards the service manager's office and finds the management and corporate representatives are in there joking about our car and situation. Their Corp rep and service manager apologize for nothing except that the service manager didn't show my wife which loaner car was hers after waiting 15 minutes in the empty service bay. The manufacturer after all this offered a small compensation, but we still have no vehicle in working order and a Dealership chain that is in this for their benefit only. The Hendrick group is simply a pig with lipstick on it.
I hate to hear you had such horrible service. As Lexus GS owners we can pretty much buy any car in the $50K-$60K price range. We pay a little extra for Lexus because it's supposed to be dependable and have high standards of customer service. Whenever I receive really good or really bad service I go to social media and it normally gets plenty of attention. I would suggest finding the dealerships Facebook and Twitter pages. Also post your issue on Toyota and Lexus' Twitter and Facebook pages. There is also a site called Dealerrater.com. If your dealer is on this site, post the issue there too. You'll get their attention using these outlets and trust me they won't be laughing.
Old 05-14-16, 07:08 PM
designzio
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

We didn't buy our car here, but they have been our point of service. Our GS350 is a $60k car and has had the ABS system go crazy on us at freeway speeds after both the north location and the south location worked on the brakes 4 times and only said the brakes needed resurfacing. They say they can't find any issues or codes, but refuse to take the brake system apart or take our issue seriously. We don't understand how the brakes can keep warping within such short periods and there is nothing causing it. They have had the car 4 months out of the last 12 and the service is just awful. We involved corporate thinking the manufacturer would be professional. Boy were we wrong. Their corporate rep offered nothing of value, the corporate master tech never listened to me or my wife once on how to duplicate some of the issues. Even when we provide video evidence. They have an excuse for everything. Best part is they bent my wheel and it took them 3 visits just to properly diagnose something two other Lexus dealers said you would see by looking at the wheel spinning with nothing more than your eyes. They dented the rocker panel and had to replace that. Even broke the cup holder and took three visits to fix that. In addition they have lost our car keys twice, one of which resulted in chasing our car around the metro area after costing me half a work day to coordinate getting the key to them and get my car back because they didn't even check to see if they had a key blank at their location. Take away, we can't get our car fixed, but we can get it damaged easily and have the auto group show no interest in making matters right.

Even better, on 4 different instances, their solution has been having the sales manager call us to have us buy a new car and take a huge hit on this vehicle in trade. Why would you buy a new one when you can't even fix the old one. And a side note, from what they quoted the car is worth, this vehicle has held its value as well as a screen door holds water.

The experience with Lexus and this dealer has been anything but luxurious. Matter of fact, just the opposite.

The icing on the cake was my wife walking towards the service manager's office and finds the management and corporate representatives are in there joking about our car and situation. Their Corp rep and service manager apologize for nothing except that the service manager didn't show my wife which loaner car was hers after waiting 15 minutes in the empty service bay. The manufacturer after all this offered a small compensation, but we still have no vehicle in working order and a Dealership chain that is in this for their benefit only. The Hendrick group is simply a pig with lipstick on it.
Award for longest post ever
Old 05-14-16, 07:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not being singled out, I don't know why you keep thinking that. I've explained the process of looking up reviews. You seem like an intelligent person. Do a little legwork and I'm sure you can figure the rest out... Or not. And trust me, to my co-workers, friends, and family, they all have seen and get it. But I'm ok if you never do.
Yes Barrett, you (or your vehicle) are being singled out...for some reason! What that reason is - I have no clue, but it must be a good reason... If not, then how do you explain why Hendricks Lexus (and Lexus corporate) won't fix your car?

You don't really think that Hendricks Lexus' average customer has their vehicle 4 months out of the last 12 at this dealership (like you have) do you? You really don't think that their average customer felt the need to complain to Lexus corporate...and were turned down (like you were), do you? And the list goes on and on and on...but for some unknown reason you cannot get any satisfactory results from the dealership or from corporate. To me - that sure sounds like you (or your vehicle) are being singled out...
Old 05-14-16, 08:41 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If lexus corporate is doing nothing, then damn that dealership has a really good reason as to why they think its not a problem, a really good reason to not make this their problem or both.

At this point if your getting not traction, I suggest you do a couple of things in the following order depending on what you are up for.

Option A:
Find another non Hendricks dealership and get stuff done

Option B:
1) Stop posting. Posting draws undue attention to a situation that may be used against you.
2) Hopefully you documented every service visit with more then just normal check up in the service write ups. If possible, request service history copies (hopefully you might have kept them)
3) Consult Lemon Law Attorney and proceed forward.
4) The more evidence directly related to your issue you can present, AND meet those criteria for your state, the better things are for you. Yelp reviews will not help your case period. A safety defect, documented through video, unrepairable via service records is.

Side note. you respond you can post all ya want corporations see this every god damn day and have grown thick skin towards this type of behavior. You present an actual claim to a third party, people take notice and things get fixed real quick. Rather then explaining yourself, posting videos etc make your case and move on with things. As much as the forum can offer support, we are all just offering you support not actual options. Telling us to view yelp dealer rater gets nothing done.

Last edited by coolsaber; 05-15-16 at 01:24 PM.